General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Classes as an addition to regular training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-13 4:26 PM

Encinitas, CA
Subject: Spin Classes as an addition to regular training?
I was hoping for some input/suggestions on this. I am thinking to add a couple of spin classes to my regular outdoor bike training rides. Presently my main bike training sessions consist of hill repeats, intense ride with longer ( but not steep 2-5 miles at an avg 4%-6%) hills and LSD ride - all adding up to 175-215 miles/week depending on the week. I was hoping that adding a few spin classes targeted to intervals and power building might help with flat out speed and power while racing. Any feedback is welcome!
Thanks.

2011-04-13 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3445125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Spin Classes as an addition to regular training?

I believe that totally depends on who you get as an instructor.  I haven't ridden outside in five months since my IM.  I have been doing spin 2-3 times a week since February. 

I have a 12 mile loop that I like to time trial from time to time to see where I am fitness wise.  After riding only spin, I was able to set a PR.  Then again, I am the spin instructor and my sessions are targetted at cyclists.  Some spin instructors plan their classes for general fitness that doesn't translate to the road.

2011-04-13 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Why not add 1-2 interval-based rides outdoors? Unless you can find a cycling-specific or spin class geared to actual cyclists, chances are the "intervals" you get are going to be far less effective than what you could do in a more formal cycling session.
2011-04-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3445142

Encinitas, CA
I have thought of adding some more outdoor riding but it became a matter of time.
Those are my swim/run/strength days and the idea of adding bike intervals to it did not elicit a positive response from my better half....
2011-04-13 5:02 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

A few years back a local gym sponsored a 4 hour spin event to raise money for charity. They invited the cycling team I sponsored to take part. No problem, we're tough Cat 1 and 2 USA Cycling guys and girls and Ironman triathletes. Taking on a room full of sweaty soccer moms for four hours will be easy, right.

Wrong.

The soccer moms handed us our . It was grueling.

What I took away from the experience, once I got my tail out from between my legs and finished my ample serving of humble pie, was that this was an excellent training tool. It was a hard workout. There was intensity and variability to it. You did things in the spin class you would never do on the road. The first being, no stopping at intersections. No cars. No rotten weather. It was a consistent, controllable, focused workout. There is enormous value to that.

Those things being said, there are a few conventions to observe. Wear good shorts- most of the saddles are not high quality cycling saddles. Get to class early to get a bike and be picky about dialing in your saddle height. Your position on the spin bike should be as close to your real-world bike as possible. And, make sure you've got water.

Speaking of doing things on the spin bike you likely won't be doing on your road bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDlH9hGuXg

2011-04-13 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
The instructor will be important in what you get out of the class. Some classes are simply a thrash fest on your legs, that may not fit well into your training. Some are more of a total body workout with hands-free standing and stuff that has no place as a cycling workout. An instructor may be put off if you just do your own thing, too. Some instructors may not have a grasp on how spinning will fit into a larger scheme like your training.

That all being said, I've met 2 that had the education and experience to make a spin workout a nice supplement to my bike training and their class had a good structure to it. The group setting and music is always fun, too. 
I would ask the instructor if they mind if you do your own thing in case the class gets too crazy. I've never had one be too easy

---like Tom said 

Edited by Broompatrol 2011-04-13 5:05 PM

2011-04-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3445195

Encinitas, CA
WOW!! What a testimonial on intensity... and a bit scary to a "nowhere near CAT 1 or 2" guy!!
Thank you that was very helpful.
The instructor is very cool, and has no problem with people doing their thing so I will be ok should I "blow up" and just cave to spin easy for a while. The intensity level is pretty high from the one I tried and there are very few breaks which seems like it would be very useful in building power-endurance.

BTW - I hope none of the video moves are gonna be featured in any of the classes...
2011-04-13 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3445195

User image

Veteran
Monadnock
Tom Demerly. - 2011-04-13 6:02 PM

Speaking of doing things on the spin bike you likely won't be doing on your road bike:

I'm a pretty open sort...but that's just bizarre.

2011-04-13 7:45 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I love spin classes. Really great workout, although not always totally bike specific. Really attractive people in tight spandex, sweating it out like crazy. I go as often as possible which is unfortunately not often enough.

2011-04-14 7:07 AM

New user

Due to schedule, I swapped a spin class for my ride yesterday.  I was surprised by how intense it was.  I don't work myself that hard when I'm on the real bike.

The instructor will tell you what pace to go at, what position to be in (in the saddle, up, or "hover") and when to increase or decrease resistance.  You've got control over your own resistance knob, so you can control intensity with that to some extent.

2011-04-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3445393

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
andyaxa - 2011-04-13 7:38 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2011-04-13 6:02 PM

I'm a pretty open sort...but that's just bizarre.

That can't be for real.

2011-04-14 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

woa...that video is insane!!! 

Spin classes are great to keep one in shape over the winter and to supplement your rides. I teach classes and I teach more about how to ride like you are outside vs doing any crazy contraindicated moves (like that video!). I think though that given the nature of a group exercise class and that they typically last 45-60 mins, and that many folks are there to sweat and get their workout in, its difficult to do rides that are zone 1-2 or recovery which are key to long distance tris. However, for building aerobic capacity and leg strength - the classes are awesome! And remember - it's highly individual. You are the master of your resistance-the instructor gives suggestions and cues for form and cadence but you can determine how much power you want to input. And I can guarantee you that if you think you've got resistance that may mimic a headwind, in reality that wind would be much stronger. So don't cheat yourself, add on some resistance

2011-04-14 1:38 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I credit much of my bike improvements to a weekly spin class. That's my main zone 4 interval work.
2011-04-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3446769

User image

Veteran
Central Point
BbMoozer - 2011-04-14 10:38 AM

woa...that video is insane!!! 

Spin classes are great to keep one in shape over the winter and to supplement your rides. I teach classes and I teach more about how to ride like you are outside vs doing any crazy contraindicated moves (like that video!). I think though that given the nature of a group exercise class and that they typically last 45-60 mins, and that many folks are there to sweat and get their workout in, its difficult to do rides that are zone 1-2 or recovery which are key to long distance tris. However, for building aerobic capacity and leg strength - the classes are awesome! And remember - it's highly individual. You are the master of your resistance-the instructor gives suggestions and cues for form and cadence but you can determine how much power you want to input. And I can guarantee you that if you think you've got resistance that may mimic a headwind, in reality that wind would be much stronger. So don't cheat yourself, add on some resistance

Spoken like a true spin class instructor. I love spin class every Tues. & Thurs night. Ride outside on the weekends when weather improves. I may start  riding to work next month a few days a week for more time in the saddle.

Edited by ckallpoints 2011-04-14 1:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Classes as an addition to regular training? Rss Feed