General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with Aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-14 1:02 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Need help with Aerobars

I have been thinking about getting aerobars and looked up the BT Forum on the various kinds available. I still feel lost. 

Here is what I learnt so far- there are 2 to 3 kinds available- S bar, Regular (R?) bars and Straight bars. Also there seems to innumerable kinds in Profile Design make , which confuses me further.

Sicne my road bike is not carbon, I can get by with a non-carbon AB too, which will allow me to save some money. I'm on a budget, so price is a factor. Yet I dont want to get something which I would need to replace in 2 months.

My road bike has standard drop bars and I find it difficult to brake comfortably during a longer ride. I'd have to get the bike fitted (@ Performance Bike Chandler) along with the Aero Bar, so I dont have to spend on fitting twice. If you know of a place which has good price on aero bars w or w/o fitting, do let me know.

2011-04-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3446827

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Need help with Aerobars
Buy the aerobars at Performance. The braking will be the same as they are simply clip on. S curve or straight is simply a matter of preference.
2011-04-14 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Entry level Profile Design (T1) should do you fine.  No need to fork over all the cash unless you are eye-balling the podium.  For the rest of us, the non-carbon stuff seems to do the job nicely.

Of course, if you want to look cool.................

2011-04-15 1:23 PM

User image

Regular

Rick, Patrick, Thanks for your input.

Let me see if I can find a PD T1 @ Performance and get it fitted.

Agreed on passing the carbon frame as I carry more weight than any other components on the bike .

2011-04-15 5:28 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I highly recommend staying away from the ones that flip up and out of the way when not in use.  They seem to have a problem with losing pins and rattle when up. 
2011-04-16 11:56 AM

User image

Expert

I actually like the flip up aero bars pads. They can rattle and are clumsy to get into sometimes. I do like the fact that they get out of the way when you're not using them though. I also like the aero bars that curve up a bit at the end. The straight ones seem uncomfortable for me.

These are the ones I have.

2011-04-19 11:46 AM

User image

Regular

Thanks for sharing your take on the the flip up kind. The contrary opinions suggest that my preference would likely be the biggest factor. I hope they let me try out the aero bars for a week atleast.

Currently I'm waiting for a bike fit appointment to be available at PB. The wait always sucks once you are eager to try something new

Thanks again.

2011-04-29 3:48 PM

User image

Regular

A friend lend me these Vision TT aero bars to try on. Went on a 30 mile last Sat and felt great. The only thing I dont like is the pad positions are not adjustable, and I feel they are a little far to my comfort. I may need to look at alternatives.

Besides this, I loved riding in the aero position. The first 30 miles were scary while getting in and out of the aero position. I stopped pedelling every time I had to switch. What are the few things that experience has taught you while riding aero bars? This may save me some falls

Thanks again.

Sourin

(Bars.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bars.jpg (98KB - 19 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with Aerobars Rss Feed