General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pull/strain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-15 7:41 AM

Subject: Calf pull/strain
Just started getting into racing last year. I want to be more competitive, but when I push myself too hard, I end up pulling or straining my calf muscles during the run. It's very painful, and takes a long time to heal. Have a feeling it has to do with my poor flexibility. I stretch all the time, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone else ever experience this? What have you done to try to prevent it?

2011-04-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3448080

Subject: RE: Calf pull/strain

I've been having the same exact problem!  I find that using "The Stick" before and after my workouts helps, as does using compression during my longer runs and after all runs.  Plus, I had the cleats on my bike shoes moved back a bit, which seems to help disengage the calf during the bike, leaving it fresh for the run.

Though, you'll see I'm starting a new thread about taping my calf for my race tomorrow, so it hasn't helped completely.

2011-05-01 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran

I have the same issue.  Injury prone calves.  I picked up a set or "recovery sleeves" for my calves.  An experienced triathelete a few years older than me recommended them.  He wears them as additional support when running.  He recommended wearing them before, during and after the run.

I'm going to give them a try this week.  Not running though.  I tweaked my left calf while running on the treadmill and am trying to baby it until the TI on the 15th. I'll see if the additional support helps me with the rest of my workout.

2011-05-01 7:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Don't fool around with it. 

I have spent a very long 9 months in PT for a gastrocs tear (and I was babying the leg for weeks until I could see the Doc).  Now calf compression sleeves are a necessary part of every training day with the exception of swimming.

Edited by QueenZipp 2011-05-01 7:57 PM
2011-05-02 6:57 PM

New user

Hey, quid- pro-quo...you weigh in on my hip muscle pull and I'll share my calf experiences. Just kidding ;-)

Seriously, I've been dealing with calf issues on a off (mostly off, these last few years) long before I got into tri's; since about 1999. Compression wear is a great, newer kind of idea but one word of warning: don't overuse them, else your muscles will begin to depend on them. They provide great support but they are no substitute for a good, consistent strength-stretch routine (calf-raises, the 'tippie-toe tight-rope walk', etc) which includes dynamic (or warm-up) stretching, firm foam-roller, diligent hydration and a consultation with your physical therapist or personal trainer regarding all of the above. You can beat this!

2011-05-16 4:45 PM

Monroe, NY

I have been in a constant battle with this and my Achilles which are connected. My sister has had success with Heavy Load Eccentric Calf Muscle training. I am just starting it now and I hope it works. That and the stick / Foam Roller seem to help.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21715686/Heavy-Load-Eccentric-Calf-Muscle-Training-for-the-Treatment-of-Chronic-Achilles-Tendinosis 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/399481-heavy-load-eccentric-calf-muscle-training/ 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf pull/strain Rss Feed