General Discussion Race Reports! » MultiRace Spring Training Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MultiRace Spring Training Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
MultiRace
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 54s
Overall Rank = 122/320
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

The Spring Training Triathlon was the 2011 MultiRace Season Opener Triathlon...Event organized for the very well known people of

Photobucket

It took place at Tradewinds Park, in Coconut Creek, South Florida...holding a Sprint Triathlon with 320 participants and a Sprint Duathlon with 100 participants...at the same time...with a total of 420
athletes...

Friday, April 1st:
Last bike and swimming work-outs before Race...
Cleaned cassette of rear Race Wheel and bike's chain..
Had Carbo load dinner...Garlic Srimp Pasta with broccoli, carrots and corn...Hummmmm...Yummmmy...!!

Saturday, April 2nd:
Mandatory Day Off...Relax at home...
Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned bike....prepared/packed all my Race stuff...and...prepared beverages for Race...
Had lasagna for lunch and early dinner...grilled steak and steams veggies...
Loaded bikes and Tri-bags in our SUV and went to bed at 8 pm.

Sunday, April 3d:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...got dressed...and...took out Mariah our dog...

Took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both, my Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) for me...and...waffle with PB and a cup of coffee for Buddy...and...our usual battery of suplements...LOL

Took our Coolers with beverages and left from home at 4:30 am...It tooks us around 1hr10m to get at Tradewinds Park...including the technical stop by the Pomapano Beach Service Plaza...LOL

Parked car...took our bikes, tri-bags and coolers and headed directly to pick-up our Race Packages...timming chips and Body Marking...

Buddy got the Bid# 417 / Siver Cap...and...for me...the Bid# 418 / Pinky Cap...Awwwwwwwww...Horror...my NOT favorite color...!!! LOL

And We received a nice high tech t-shirt and tons of goodies as usual...

Photobucket

Went to Transition Area...placed our bikes over our rack area..Buddy was lucky to find the first spot of that rack and I got the last one...LOL

I did set-up all my Race stuff as usual:

Helmet over seat...a green towel in front of my bike and over my biking/running shoes...sunglasses over biking shoes...and...next to the running shoes...a bottle of water and my hat and inside all wrapped my belt with Bid#...

Fill the Speedfil Hydration System with cold water...check/reset cycomputer in bike...placed 1 Hammer Gel, Clif Shot Blocks and a packet of Endurolytes inside BentoBox (Just in case)...and...checked tires and gears...

Went to Check Swim/Bike/Run Exit/In...and...our rack area was located in the middle of Transition Area...and...we had a tree as reference...nice...!!!

Sat over my cooler relaxed...closed eyes...and...did my usual Race's visualization....

Took 1 Energy Gels, 2 Endurolytes with water and a mix of Cytomax...

Put BodyGlide over my feet..put timing chip on my left ankle...took goggles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swimming Area with 2 of my tri-girlfriends...Suzy and Helen...but...before...we stopped by the restrooms and the line was too long that decided to continue...

On our way to the lake...I decided to go to the bushes for a technical stop...it was too freacking dark...that by my surprise...a guy came from nowhere..scared me to death...and...told me..."Don't go the left side...go to the right...!!!" LOL

Event warmup:

At the Swimming Area...put wax ear-plugs...swimming cap...goggles...and jumped into the water for a warm-up...the water was nice...even the water temp was in 80oF...swam maybe 100 mts and came back to shore...and...join with Buddy and all our tri-friends...It was nice to see all of them again...

There were in total 6 Waves...and...the Race started in time at 7 am with Pro/Elites and Physically Challenged (Orange Cap)..and...after 2 minutes...the Duathlon started in Mass...and the rest of the Waves every 3 minutes...my Buddy was in the Wave #4 (Male +40 AGs) at 7:07 am and I was in the Wave #5 (All Female) at 7:10 am....

Here is a view of the racers and lake before the Race started...

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon
Swim
  • 09m 8s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming Course

The swim is a 1/4 mile point-to-point swim in the Tradewinds lake....

Just when they gave us green light to start...I jumped into the water and started to swim with an nice constante stroke...a very nice smooth swimming...without any body contact...but...not killing by myself either...but...at the middle of the lake...I felt that somebody smacked/ grabbed my left ankle...and...I felt that I was losing my timing chip as usual...and...had to kick hard...Yikes...and...any other incident for the rest of the swimming...

Just when my fingers touched the sand at shore...I got up...and..run as fast I could to the Swim Exit Arch and Transition...removing my googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs at the same time...and...put them inisde the cap...

Here a sequence of pics...at the Swim Exit...

And If you check very careful the second pic...You can see that I'm losing my timing chip...

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

What would you do differently?:

Maybe more speed work-outs...but...I really don't worry about my swimming time...cuz... I'm usually the fastest on my AG during Transition... reaching and passing most of the fastest swimmers on my AG...
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

A fast Transition as usual.......I was the fastest on my AG...and...60th Overall / 320 participants...not bad...!!!!

First...fixed my timing chip...then...put sunglasses, helmet and biking shoes all at the same time...took bike...and..ran as fast I could out of Transition...

Practice and practice...!!!
Bike
  • 30m 36s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike Course

The bike course makes 2 loops around the south and north ends of Tradewinds Park. The course is closed to cars and is completely contained inside of the park. There are also no hard u-turns on the course, making for a fast and easy bike split.

Just in the mount area...jumped on my bike and cranked very hard as usual...I knew that I have to recover my time after my slow swimming and my bike is one of my strengh beside the run...

Started to pass tons and tons of people even I had to deal with some bike traffic...I knew that I was doing great...I was keeping an average at 20 mph and more...Yes...!!!

Here a sequence of pics on my bike...

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

And here in my 2nd loop...

Just before the last turn to head to Transition...my rear tire blowed up...I heard like an explotion...OMG...I cranked very hard before it got all deflated..I knew I was maybe 100 mts far from the Desmount Area...but...on my last 10 mts...the tire went down...and...off course speed slowed down...but...Thanks Godness...I reached just in time at the Desmounta Area...Ufffff....cuz...I didn't want to damage it cuz my wheels use tubular tires and they are all carbon...

Continue with my trainings...and...for the flat tire...was unexpected but I was very lucky that happened just arriving to Transition...
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Another fast Transition...and...again the fastest on my AG and 78th Overall / 320 participants...

Ran as fast I could to my rack area..racked bike....changed shoes...took hat and bottle of water and ran fast out of Transition...

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon

The run course goes along a path next to the lake in a counter-clockwise fashion and We had to complete 2 laps here as well to make 3 miles...a very nice course with a lot of shadow areas...

Just out of Transition...running not too fast and not too slow with a constante pace...put my hat and belt iwth Bid#...drank some water from my bottle and tossed over my head and neck....and started to increase my speed passing tons of people...

Here some pics on my first Lap...

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

On my 2nd Lap..I started to increase more my speed and passing more people...

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

At this point I really didn't know who on my AG were in front of me...but...I knew that I was doing great...

On the last 1/4 mile sprinted as fast I could to the Finish Lne...

Continue with my trainings...I know that I can do it better even I PR in this run course...

Also I as the fastest on my AG..not bad...!!!

Post race
Warm down:

Just after I passed the Finish Line...I volunteer gave to me a bottle of water and other one took off my timing chip from my left ankle...

Here all the timing chips collected...

Went directly to congratulate one of the girls of my AG that was already at the Finish Line...Nicole...then..a few of the rest of our tri-girlfriends arrived and we were all celebrating and having fun...

Met with Buddy and went to Transition Area to collect/pack all our Race Stuff...and...took them with the bikes to the car...

Here cooling down in Transition before collecting/packing all our Race stuff...

And here with 3 of my tri-girlfriends Julie, Suzy and Kalee...

Went to check Results finding out that I got 4th place on my AG..a very competitive AG as usual...but...more this year...cuz...the fastest women from the AG 40-44 passed to my AG..Yikes...It will be my last year in this AG and tough one too for Velo...but...I will be there fighting the 5 tops positions...LOL

Here Velo checking Results...

And got my Receipt with my Individual Splits...

This is one of the reason that I love to race with this people of MultiRace...beside...all their Events are very organized...they are the best here in South Florida...and...You don't have to wait for Results...it's all automated...just when you pass the Finish Line..You can find your Results...

Total Time: 1hr 05m 54s

Female 45-49: 4th / 17 women
We were 18 but one was awarded 2nd Female Overall...Nice...!!!

Female Overall: 19th / 107 women

Overall: 122nd / 320 triathletes

Here with my tri-girlfriend Suzy...waiting for the Award Ceremony...

And here..My Buddy with Suzy and one of our training parter Coco..

Went to the Food tent for some Yummmmmy recovery food...while...waiting for the award Ceremony...

And here in the Award Ceremony...WoooHooooo...!!!

Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011 Photobucket Spring Training Triathlon, Tradewinds Park, April 3rd, 2011

The Award...a nice Medal...and..the Finisher Medal...

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't have any excuses...but...I had to deal with some bike traffic...a flat tire even it was just arriving to Transition...and I know I could do a better Race in general...in special in the swimming...I'm not a faster swimmer...but...average swimmer but stronger with a lot endurance

Event comments:

Another MultiRace great and very well organized Event as usual...on time...lots of volunteers...plenty of water stations...and...great Post Race activities and food...that...recommend to everybody...in special beginners...

Last updated: 2011-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:08 | 400 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 167/320
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good