General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Siesta Key Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-10 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3490886

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Siesta Key Triathlon : Official Thread
cwpeters - 2011-05-10 7:16 AM
RedCorvette - 2011-05-10 1:55 AM
ajusf16 - 2011-05-09 10:14 PM
Tri-ingMike - 2011-05-09 9:59 PM

I guess since this thread has info for both the FIT in May and the Publix in July I will post another bit about FIT.  Note that the week of the race they have changed the run to the beach so we all can take in beautiful Siesta Beach according to  their reasoning for the change.  BS! The main reason I registered for this race is so that I did not have to run on the beach, if I want to see the beach, I will come next weekend on my boat or just to the beach.  I would bet most of the particpants have reasonable beach access wherever they are coming from and dont care about looking around at sand and water. More like it is easier to combine both the distances to make it easier for them.  Guess I will just man up and do the Oly distance next year and plan a beach run and quit complaining, just sucks to plan one thing and then have another. 

Rant officially over.

both runs were combined last year, OLY ran 3.1 and turned around and sprint 1.55 and turned around

it probably has more to do with shutting down Siesta for so long, when it is a sprint it opens quicker

I think it's probably a combination of things, not the least of which was the congestion issues.  There's just not enough room on the island to lay out a run course that doesn't interfere with the bike course (which requires two laps of the key for the Oly).  But it's not like they weren't aware of the situation, and it disappoints me to see them wait until the week of the race to confirm things.  I personally don't mind the beach run, but can certainly understand that some folks would be upset with the last minute change.
I also don't like the e-mail I got yesterday that "STRONGLY URGED" everyone to check your bike into transition on Friday night rather than Saturday morning.  The race website went on to say that only out-of-town participants would be allowed to check their bikes in on the morning of the race.    I live locally, but this creates a BIG inconvenience for me on Friday if I've got to get my bike out to the beach on Friday evening before 7PM.  If I can't get there by 7PM on Friday evening does that mean I won't be allowed to race?  I entered this race months ago and am just informed of this out less than five days before the race? 
I personally know and am friends with a lot of people in the Sarasota Storm club, but all this last minute stuff is just BS. 
Mark

Are you kidding me?  There is NO WAY I can make it down there on Friday.  Since I live in Bradenton I hope that makes me an out of towner.

I emailed the race director last night.  He answered this morning and said he didn't know anything about it and wanted to know where I got my information.  Referred him back the Athlete Guide that was posted on the race website yesterday afternoon.  I asked for clarification.  Sounds like the right hand doesn't what the left hand is doing...

Mark

2011-05-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3491211

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
RedCorvette - 2011-05-10 10:09 AM

I guess since this thread has info for both the FIT in May and the Publix in July I will post another bit about FIT.  Note that the week of the race they have changed the run to the beach so we all can take in beautiful Siesta Beach according to  their reasoning for the change.  BS! The main reason I registered for this race is so that I did not have to run on the beach, if I want to see the beach, I will come next weekend on my boat or just to the beach.  I would bet most of the particpants have reasonable beach access wherever they are coming from and dont care about looking around at sand and water. More like it is easier to combine both the distances to make it easier for them.  Guess I will just man up and do the Oly distance next year and plan a beach run and quit complaining, just sucks to plan one thing and then have another. 

Rant officially over.

both runs were combined last year, OLY ran 3.1 and turned around and sprint 1.55 and turned around

it probably has more to do with shutting down Siesta for so long, when it is a sprint it opens quicker

I think it's probably a combination of things, not the least of which was the congestion issues.  There's just not enough room on the island to lay out a run course that doesn't interfere with the bike course (which requires two laps of the key for the Oly).  But it's not like they weren't aware of the situation, and it disappoints me to see them wait until the week of the race to confirm things.  I personally don't mind the beach run, but can certainly understand that some folks would be upset with the last minute change.
I also don't like the e-mail I got yesterday that "STRONGLY URGED" everyone to check your bike into transition on Friday night rather than Saturday morning.  The race website went on to say that only out-of-town participants would be allowed to check their bikes in on the morning of the race.    I live locally, but this creates a BIG inconvenience for me on Friday if I've got to get my bike out to the beach on Friday evening before 7PM.  If I can't get there by 7PM on Friday evening does that mean I won't be allowed to race?  I entered this race months ago and am just informed of this out less than five days before the race? 
I personally know and am friends with a lot of people in the Sarasota Storm club, but all this last minute stuff is just BS. 
Mark

Are you kidding me?  There is NO WAY I can make it down there on Friday.  Since I live in Bradenton I hope that makes me an out of towner.

I emailed the race director last night.  He answered this morning and said he didn't know anything about it and wanted to know where I got my information.  Referred him back the Athlete Guide that was posted on the race website yesterday afternoon.  I asked for clarification.  Sounds like the right hand doesn't what the left hand is doing...

Mark

Just heard back from the race director:

"That's wrong. Check in on Saturday. 
There is no race day registration. But you can check in your bike and pick up your packet Saturday."

Good news.  I told him I appreciated his quick response.

Mark
2011-05-10 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3491224

User image

Expert
RedCorvette - 2011-05-10 10:15 AM
RedCorvette - 2011-05-10 10:09 AM

Rant officially over.

Mark

Mark

Just heard back from the race director:

"That's wrong. Check in on Saturday. 
There is no race day registration. But you can check in your bike and pick up your packet Saturday."

Good news.  I told him I appreciated his quick response.

Mark
did he clarify that there is or is not bike check Friday though?
2011-05-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3450149

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
My understanding is that you can check in your bike anytime during the packet pick-up/expo on Friday, or on Saturday morning.  You can also register on Friday, but not on Saturday. 

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2011-05-10 9:59 AM
2011-05-10 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast

To say that I am disappointed in all of the "last minute" information/changes provided by this race would be an understatement.  Some sort of preliminary info. regarding packet pick-up and day of event times (racking, start, transition open/close, awards, finish, etc...) should have been released weeks ago.

The beach run...oh my.  I was literally steaming about this last night.  Thankfully I've moved on to the "suck it up in the face of adversity" phase today.  Despite that fact, I feel that the last minute change to a beach run is just wrong.  I'm all for facing new challenges head-on and adapting to whatever is put before me, but I have chronic issues with my calves and avoid sandy surfaces like the plague.  Had I known this was going to be a beach run, I would have never signed up.  If what the RD says is true (run was changed due to bike/run congestion AND so we can take in the beauty of Siesta), then moving to a beach run was something that was probably known months ago.  Such info. could have (should have) been posted on the website. Personally, I'm inclined to think that this was more of a permitting issue.

My dearest friend registered to do this race as her first Oly event.  Of course, her main goal was always to finish; however, she is a seasoned sprint triathlete and had a time goal.  Needless to say, she's feeling a bit crushed right now as running is her weak link.  I've seen this race touted as "beginner friendly" many times and unfortunately, with the change to the run, "beginner friendly" goes out the window.  A 1-mile finish on the beautiful sands of Siesta might have been nice, but 5.5 miles of beach running for the Oly... ouch! 

OK-- vent over.  Time to suck it back up. Wink Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

RedCorvette-- Have you been using the "Contact Us" form to get ahold of the race director or do you have an actual e-mail address?  If you have an e-mail address, could you please PM me with it or leave it in a follow-up post?  Thanks! Laughing

Edited by shellabree 2011-05-10 4:37 PM
2011-05-10 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Glad to hear I'm not the only one upset by the changes.  I went for a training run on the beach today just get past the POed and angry stage.  Didn't work, I'm still ticked!  However, as a cool down, my OWS went GREAT!!!  

2011-05-15 6:11 AM

New user

For anyone reading this, I did the 2011 Siesta Key FIT and I am not sure I could recommend this race.  The swim is nice, but the OLY/Intl distance is two loop race where traffic becomes a little dangerous. The slower you are the more dangerous it gets.  I was one of the first 20 off the bike and traffic had not gotten too bad, but there were several close calls with autos for others.

The worst part was the beach run.  Deep soft sand or running in water are mostly your choices. Very disorganized on the beach with no chip readers at the turn arounds.  Several people cheated and simply ran part way and turned around.  

It's really too bad.  The setting is wonderful but the marginally safe bike with a horrendous run kind of ruins the race.  Post race food was far above average.  Results took 1+ days to post which doesn't mean much since who knows how many OLY/Intl distance only ran a 5k.  A race with lots of potential, but most ruined by a poorly thought out run.  If your a runner, find another race.

2011-05-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3499613

User image

Expert
dwmmlm - 2011-05-15 7:11 AM

For anyone reading this, I did the 2011 Siesta Key FIT and I am not sure I could recommend this race.  The swim is nice, but the OLY/Intl distance is two loop race where traffic becomes a little dangerous. The slower you are the more dangerous it gets.  I was one of the first 20 off the bike and traffic had not gotten too bad, but there were several close calls with autos for others.

The worst part was the beach run.  Deep soft sand or running in water are mostly your choices. Very disorganized on the beach with no chip readers at the turn arounds.  Several people cheated and simply ran part way and turned around.  

It's really too bad.  The setting is wonderful but the marginally safe bike with a horrendous run kind of ruins the race.  Post race food was far above average.  Results took 1+ days to post which doesn't mean much since who knows how many OLY/Intl distance only ran a 5k.  A race with lots of potential, but most ruined by a poorly thought out run.  If your a runner, find another race.

that's sad tO hear as last year this was an awesome race.
2011-05-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3499613

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I'm with ya DWMMIM.  I have nothing but high praise for this race last year and the organizers.  They did a great job.  In fact, I believe they did a good job this year but the beach run was really, really bad.  I had a calf injury going into the race but I thought I would get thru the run OK.  A jump over one of those sections where the water had washed 15 yards into shore and my day was done.  As a resident of Sarasota it's a race I always want to participate in but I won't do it again if they continue to do the Olympic distance run on the beach.

dwmmlm - 2011-05-15 7:11 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Siesta Key Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2