General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Phoenix Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriSports.com Phoenix Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
DCB Extreme Adventures
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 45s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Stess! After a bad week at work and a birthday sleepover at our house, I managed to oversleep bec I set my alram wrong. The race site was also farther than I thought from my house. Not a good start to the day. Barely got there in time but decided to do the sprint distance so I would have time to relax, get ready and mentally prepare myself for the choppy water. It was super windy and the lake was cold with white caps. Not my kind of swimming!
Event warmup:

Watched the International distance and got into the wetsuit. i still managed to be late down to the start line.
Note: dont have official individual splits, just going by my watch
Swim
  • 19m 5s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually did good. I was releived to only be swimming the 1000m. The water felt cold to me, had to tread water out at the start for a few minutes. We started a couple minutes after the men. Had no problem sighting, the choppy water was challenging but I think I did well. I felt like my legs were on the verge of cramping liek they did in IMAZ, so I didnt kick so much.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Not used to swimming in those conditions so I did OK.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This was a long transition, we had to run a long ways up from the lake to the bike. Wetsuit came right off. In hindsight I wouldn't have left teh shoes on the bike, the road was gravelly and there was a hill straight out of transition.
Bike
  • 45m 10s
  • 15.35 miles
  • 20.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills! Loved it. I like hills. I am starting to get my confidence back and only used my brakes on a downhill one time. Had to cross a cattle guard 2 times, which took me back to my crash last october. Passed a lot of guys on the bike. I caught a girl around mile 5 and then another around mile 12. She stayed with me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 21m 55s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out on trail, then up, up and onto the road. There was a bit of a downhill, it was tough to see the International distance athletes coming back up the hill. I made note of the long climb back up and tried to relax ont he downhills and flats. At teh turn around, they told me I was first female. I looked for the lady behind me once I turned, I know she is a great runner. She was maybe a minute back so I tried to keep on going. I felt so slow ont he hill back up but I was passing people so I kept on shuffling, waiting for that girl to catch me. Luckily she didnt and I took 1st place. I was hoping for a sub 20 5k, but given the hills, ths was good enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for the awards and chatted with friends. The wind had completely died down and the lake was calm as can be! It got really hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not a good sprint distance racer. I am used to holding back on the swim and bike, but there's not enough time to make it up on the run. I did enjoy this experience. It was fun, laid back and challenging. Just what I needed on this particular day!

Event comments:

DCB adventures rock. They have a great way of finding challenging courses, a very different vibe from the Tempe hamster wheel races. I will do this again for sure!

Last updated: 2011-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:05 | 1094 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Triangular course, well marked
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:10 | 15.35 miles | 20.39 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:55 | 03.15 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-04-16 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: TriSports.com Phoenix Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-04-17 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3450384

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TriSports.com Phoenix Triathlon - Sprint Distance
i'm so impressed that you held off Gage! congrats Sally. 
2011-04-18 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Congratulations on a super race and a win!!  I know how disconcerting it is to see whitecaps on Lake pleasant before a race, and you manage to put it out of your mind and crushed the field.  Still continuing to impress!!!! 
2011-04-19 11:29 AM

User image

I'm going to suggest we change your BT User name to 'PodiumCrusher'
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriSports.com Phoenix Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed