Metropolitian Veternary Associates
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 11/293
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

I have been battling a case of Plantar Facitis is my left foot/heel. I have run a grand total of two times the last 5 weeks. The last one was Thursday afternoon and my foot felt OK (although I could still feel it). So I was a bit nervious coming in. Got up at about 7:30 and headed to the race. Yesterday was a very nice day, unfortunately a big storm was rolling in and in was overcast and sprinkling off and on with a heavy wind. Big contrast from yesterday. After regestering and seeing how many dogs were going to be taking part, I headed to the car to warm up.
Event warmup:

I stretched a bit then went for a nice easy job around the area for about 20 min then took off my sweat pants and got some good stretching in. Then I headed over towards the start and same there still was a very long regestration/packet pick up line so it was obvious there was going to be a delay. Grabbed an orange from the food tent then visited the other tent and got to meet WMMR's Steve from Preston and Steve (Morning Drive show) which was pretty cool. I guess most radio people don't look like their voices but I didn't even realize I was standing next to him until he started taking to someone. Still was pretty cool to meet someone whose voice accompanies you to work every morning. After that I walked and jogged and high stepped back and forth around the start and figured out the start and finish until we finally lined up.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.28 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

These are the people who operated on Cairo so I was happy to come out and support them. It was sprinkling and we started about 20 min late. We almost had a mess at the start as a toddler waddled into the road on Runner's set, but the starter saw it and held up. I started a few rows back and in the middle and worked to the outside and open pavement. Worked my way forward and only had one guy pass me until I started going forward and passed the guy back a few blocks later. Coming back to Van Buren the first place dog passed by. That twosome would be the only one to pass me and stay in front on me as they went on to finish 2nd overall. I settled in and kept moving forward until stabilizing out about a mile or so in. Had the wife of the dog guy catch me and pass right at the turnaround, but I pushed to stay with her and pulled back even and then worked the rolling hills and we started reeling in the guy in front of us. I pulled ahead on a downhill and caught the guy on the turn to Rittenhouse and pushed up the long hill back to VanBuren and opened up some space. THen it was a turn onto Van Buren and I strode to the finish. The course was a bit long according to the website it measured 3.28 so although I was a bit bummed with a 22:55, on a cold windy day with some rolling hills on a long course finding out I was sub 7:00 min/mile was satisfying. Finished 11th overall and I won the 40-49 AG and got a trophy (which Cairo dumped over and chipped the base). Cool race with over 200 finishers and a ton of four legged competitors as well.
What would you do differently?:

Given the lack of running the last 5 weeks (still did alot of cycling) and the fact that only one person passed me and stayed in front of me, I was really happy with the race. Dug in the way back and turns out the last pass I made was for the AG win.
Post race
Warm down:

Was one of the first to hit the food tent and got a egg and cheese breakfast burrito. Walked around and went to the car and changed my shirt to stay warm. Went thru the tents and talked to a nutrion products lady. WMMR was gone by the time we got back. Rolled my foot and observed all the dogs as I waited for the awards. Talked to the lead associate about Cairo and she let everyone know I was a client during the awards ceremony. Didn't notice until tonight but my trophy does have a nice rack..oops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left foot/heel and PF. Never had it before and it really sucks.

Event comments:

First Annual event so you expect a few problems, and the packet pick up/ regestration process took a long time as most folks as both were in the same line and only two people were working the tent. That ended up delaying the start of the race but everything else went really well and the course was nice and closed to traffic during the event. A lot of dogs walking and a few running and of course the dog/guy who finished second was quick to say his dog would have won if he wasn't slowing the dog down. Coold event which should get better with age.

Last updated: 2011-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:55 | 03.28 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 11/293
Performance: Good
These are the people who operated on Cairo so I was happy to come out and support them. It was sprinkling and we started about 20 min late. We almost had a mess at the start as a toddler waddled into the road on Runner's set, but the starter saw it and held up.
Course: Started out with a loop around the business park and then down Van Burren to Rittenhouse thru a neighbor hood road to the end and the back to Rittenhouse and Van BUren and straight to the finish without the business park loop. Start and finish in the same direction.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes