Eastlake Educational Foundation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 20m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Worked the night shift, got home and took a quick 45 min nap, packed up the bike and all the gear and headed out to the start at Otay Ranch Town Center.
Event warmup:

Did a little warmup around the parking lot, but didn't hear them announce the ride was starting. Started a couple of mins behind...no problem.
Bike
  • 4h 20m
  • 62.14 miles
  • 14.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Very light rider turnout, ruined my plan to just sit back in the pack and suck on other riders wheels on the windy Otay Lakes stretch. Used up a good amount of energy before I got to Honey Springs. Only 5 in our pack, which I believe was the 2nd lead pack, until one of our got a flat.
What would you do differently?:

Try and get more rest the night prior to the ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Had 3 street-style tacos and a nice cold non-alcoholic drink. Walked around the post-ride fair.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep the night before due to work and the heat on the Honey Springs climb.

Event comments:

Due to the lack of riders, the ride didn't seem that exciting...felt like my normal weekend ride with the buddies. The route as we headed west into the residential areas (after getting off the SBX) was a bit confusing...and I hate left turns! Honey Springs is Honey Springs...you either make it the top or you don't...and I did, despite lack of sleep and 90+ degree temps. Not much fanfare at the finishline, luckily my family was there to cheer for me as I finished.

Last updated: 2011-04-16 12:00 AM
Biking
04:20:00 | 62.14 miles | 14.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Immediately jump on the South Bay Expressway bike lanes, which included a couple of good warm up inclines both on the north and southbound lanes. Headed west and toured around some residential areas of the Chula Vista, with some rolling hills.HEaded back east towards the Olympic Training Center, then onto Otay Lakes Rd for about 8 miles until we hit the base of Honey Springs. Started the 7 mile Cat 1 climb, nice and easy, but by mile 2 the temp was already in the 90's. Made up it to the top in about 50 mins and took a 10 min refueling break while I waited for a couple other riders. Flew down the hill, headed west on Otay Lakes...slight headwind and I was riding solo...dropped my other riding partners, not sure when I did that...just kept pedaling. Struggled a bit around the 59 mile mark, heat and lack of sleep sucked most of my enrgy out. Felt a slight cramp in my left quad, but kept pedaling and hit the finsh with a smile.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right