General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 22s
Overall Rank = 106/542
Age Group = Clydes (200+)
Age Group Rank = 2/38
Pre-race routine:

Drove the bike route in the dark, had a bagel, banana, and a clif energy shot gel. Also had a large coffee on the way down to Oxford (more on this later).
Event warmup:

Prepped my gear and made it the pool in time for a quick 100 yard swim before they closed it to warmups.
Swim
  • 06m 24s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the first wave, and apparently either I definitely belonged there, or no one else did, because I still managed to pass 1-2 people each length of the pool, and no one passed me. Only had one issue on one turn where a swimmer stopped right in front of me, but I managed to get a flip turn in and push off the wall and cut in front of her into the next lane.
What would you do differently?:

Trisuit is a little loose this year, since I lost some weight in the offseason so I had to pull it up a couple times. Probably need to get one that fits better. Probably could have pushed a little harder in the middle of the swim, but I felt like I put out a good consistent effort for the most part.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Put shoes on in T1 (no socks), ran bike to mount line, but due to a little confusion as to where the mount line actually was, I stepped over the bar, stopped and clipped in to mount instead of clipping in and swinging my leg over as I started moving.

Practice leaving the shoes clipped in and mounting that way (a little harder for me with 3 velcro straps per shoe), or mount by swinging my leg over as I start moving like I planned. Also could have been a little quicker in T1 I felt, but was trying to put on a long sleeve shirt and gloves, so that slowed me down a little.
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 13.36 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

It only actively rained for a short time, but the road surface was very wet, which made fast cornering impossible. I probably lost a lot of speed on many of the corners just because the bike didn't feel that stable and I'd rather get there 30 seconds later than in pieces.

Work on my confidence in fast cornering. Try to stay in aero more, I have a tendency to move to the brake hoods in strong headwinds and small climbs, where I'm sure I would benefit more from staying in aero.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Driving the course ahead of time, I knew right where to start getting my feet out of the shoes, and was able to dismount without coming to a complete stop and run into the transition. Had a little trouble getting my laces secured with the gloves still on. Shoes felt a little loose.

Take off my sunglasses. Did not need them for the run, but I just plain didn't even think about it and took off running.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in pain because I had to pee so bad at this point. It started around mile 6 on the bike, and there wasn't anywhere to go so I toughed it out, but I'm sure I could have ran faster if I wasn't thinking about peeing the whole time. I also developed a side stitch around 1 mile in that lasted about 1 mile.

Kick the pace up as soon as my legs warm up after the bike. Not drink coffee the morning of the race. Take off my sunglasses when it's real cloudy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, ate some free food and got out of my soaking wet clothes. My cycling shoes were soaked through from all the road spray, and I was drenched. No one was really hanging around so I headed off to Indy for my next race tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to use the bathroom half the race. Lack of confidence in my ability to maintain a faster running pace for longer.

Event comments:

Great race HFP! Also, appreciate the finisher medals.

Last updated: 2010-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:24 | 437 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 23/542
Performance: Good
Suit: Aqua Tech Designs Trisuit
Course: Serpentine swim in the Miami U Pool
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:18 | 13.36 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/38
Overall: 105/542
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Roads NE of Oxford. A good long hill near the beginning, and some rollers from there on.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:12 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/38
Overall: 218/542
Performance: Average
Course: Run on sidewalks and pathways through the heart of the Miami Campus. A few puddles here and there, and a couple places you had to go up or down a step, but nothing too hateful and mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-17 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2011-04-18 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3451221

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

good race - I thought I saw you in the transition area but that isnt really a time to chat during a race.

catch you at the next one

2011-04-18 12:11 PM

User image

Nice job!
2011-04-18 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Holy Fastness. Great Race.

2011-04-19 6:37 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Wow- great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed