General Discussion Race Reports! » Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carmel, Indiana
United States
Carmel Swim Club
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 2s
Overall Rank = 103/617
Age Group = Clydes 200+
Age Group Rank = 6/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a bowl of cereal and a banana, drove on over and got transition set up and then changed.
Event warmup:

200 meters in the pool, jogged back to transition.
Swim
  • 05m 58s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wore a new trisuit my sister gave me for her team. It was actually a women's size large, but fit much better than the one I wore yesterday (and I didn't end up mooning anyone in the pool, so that's a plus). Passed several people on the swim, and at one point was 4 wide and had a little bumping going on but not too bad. Someone grabbed my foot twice when there was plenty of room to pass so not sure what was going on there.
What would you do differently?:

Was worried I was going too fast, probably had a little more in me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Wow... was sloowwww in T1. I knew it too, and kept saying it outloud (the lady next to me probably thought I was crazy). Took forever to get my long sleeve shirt on and my cycling shoes. My gloves were trouble too. Once I got that together, it was a bit of a jog to the mount line, but I was able to mount correctly this time (clip in left foot, hop on bike while swinging right leg over). Also went barefoot on the bike for both races, and had no problems.

Get a tri suit, find a better solution for colder weather so I don't have to mess with extra clothing. Work on getting my shoes on quicker (or practice leaving them in the pedals).
Bike
  • 31m 5s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

RPE compared to yesterday seemed pretty low, but I put out a good pace. That said, not much higher than pace in training, so I have a feeling I had more to give. Was concerned about being too fatigued for the run with the race yesterday and today. Very glad there were no big hills, not sure my legs could have handled it.

Push harder!
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Slooooow T2. Not sure what was going on. Dismounted perfectly while moving (although my right foot slipped when I first put it on top of the shoe, and went into my gears. I didn't find out until a found a bloody sock after the race and gear shaped holes in my foot.) Had trouble with the shoe laces.

MOVE FASTER!
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 2.95 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not convinced it was 3.1 miles from mat to mat. Garmin had 2.89 miles, but looking at the map it cut some corners on me (I had it on "smart recording" so it doesn't record as often. gmap-pedometer.com puts it around 2.95, so I'm going to use that distance, which still gets me sub 9.

Kick it in sooner at the end. I probably really need to start gearing up around the 1/2 way mark on these short runs or with 1 mile to go. The finish line snuck up on me, and so while I had a good kick at the end, I definitely left some on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, helped Lisa remind people to get off their bikes at the dismount line. Changed my shoes and found lots of blood on the right foot (oops).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head.

Event comments:

A well put together race with plenty of volunteers. They had someone at every single cross street, just to make sure you didn't turn the wrong way, even if there was absolutely no traffic. I'm used to courses with more hills, but there's not too many near this location, and I won't complain since I had plenty of hills yesterday.

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:58 | 437 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 22/617
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Serpentine swim at Carmel High School Pool. Water temp was a little colder than the pool yesterday.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:05 | 10 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Overall: 104/617
Wind: Strong
Course: Roads around Carmel. Pretty flat. Could have done without all the roundabouts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:22 | 02.95 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 202/617
Course: Neighborhood roads mostly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-17 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash)

2011-04-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3451547

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash)
Nice job! I couldn't think of doing another one of these tomorrow. Very impressive that you could do two back to back. I finished 11th in the clydes behind you. That wind was killer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carmel Sprint Triathlon (formerly Splash, Flash & Dash) Rss Feed