General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Lake Arrowhead Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3rd Annual Lake Arrowhead Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Lake Arrowhead, CA
United States
Mountainmultisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 25s
Overall Rank = 63?/400?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/?
Pre-race routine:

Had a 100-mile drive into the mtns here for this race, and had to be there to register (hadn't pre-registered), so I left at 4am! Took me about 1:45 to get there, and it was looking to be a beautiful morning. Ate a Balance Bar and some Gatorade and water on the drive up.
Event warmup:

Nothing much. Just milled around the village of Lake Arrowhead shooting some video to show my wife and daughter. Did some mini-jogs from place to place and some light stretching. Felt the water temp in the lake. It was perfect! About 75 I'd say. No need for a wetsuit with the swim being under 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 600 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a tough one. I started on the left side of the pack, but in front, intent on truly sprinting this swim. My problem as with all my recent races is that I get too amped and it affects my relaxation and breathing in the first half of the swim until I relax and get a rhythm. Anyway, started out blazing toward the first buoy. After about 100 yards, I felt my breath getting away from me. Keep in mind this race is at a mtn. lake at 5,000 feet of elevation or so, so it's a little tougher to catch your breath. I quickly backed off a little and gained my rhythm and found some feet to draft off of. I didn't do much drafting, but enough to help in some parts of the swim.
After rounding the first buoy, the second straightaway is right into the morning sun, so you cannot see ANYTHING except the thrashing of fellow swimmers ahead of you, so I couldn't do anything but aim for them and hope THEY were going in the right direction. Fortunately, they were, and though I veered a little off course at one stage halfway through, I finally spotted the buoy and made my 90-degree turn toward the boat ramp and then picked up the pace. Now, the sun was at my back, so sighting was no problem. I passed a couple of people. Our wave was "40-and-over", so there were several age groups all wearing the same cap color, so I had no idea how I was doing.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax a bit more at the beginning of these races. Another thing, I chose NOT to go with a wetsuit, and it was noticeably a bit harder without the added buoyancy. Given the length of the swim, under 10 minutes, I just didn't feel it was worth taking the time to peel it off. I am happy with that decision. I also seem to lose focus on keeping the form that I work on in my training swims because I'm too concerned with sighting. I have to make my form "automatic" so I don't have to think about it.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

It was a pretty good hoof from the water to T1, and up and down a big hill across pavement. Probably 200 yards. I kept a solid pace and did my thing. One thing that sucked: I purposely set up next to the end of a rack to have a clear shot at my stuff, and some girl who came VERY late leaned her bike against the end of the rack blocking my stuff. I worked around it, but that just annoyed me a bit.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent about 5% of the entire ride in the aerobars, and most of it on the hoods and top bars, and much of it out of the saddle climbing. It boasted 900 feet of climb, and in the high elevation, the lungs got a workout. I would say the tri bike people might have been at a slight disadvantage. Road bikes and even mtn bikes were doing better with the hills. I managed to power past alot of folks on the uphills, and with me not knowing the course and what was up ahead, I was very conservative in the downhills riding the brakes if I couldn't see what was coming. Got passed a few times going downhill. Some of the downhills were gnarly because right at the bottom, there would be a 90-degree sharp turn, so brakes were crucial! They had people there warning you to slow for turns. One scare for me....at about mile 3, I hit a seam in the pavement while holding the hoods, and my handlebars pivoted down about an inch. They were still pretty tight, but I was paranoid I'd hit another bump and they'd swing all the way down and I wouldn't be able to reach my brakes. I grabbed the aerobars and pulled them back up and just nursed it the rest of the ride. It didn't affect my ride too much fortunately as it was tight enough to hold unless I hit a major bump.
This bike was a good ride for me as far as passing folks on uphills. Only bummer is that due to the constant turning, climbing, etc., there were few opportunities to drink. I didn't want to take my hands off the handlebars. I was thirsty at the end, but figured I'd drink at the run aid stations.

Well, knowing the course would have helped alot, but I don't even think that just one drive or ride around it would have been enough. There were so many hills and turns I couldn't have remembered every one. Also, not that I could have known, but tightening the bars would have been nice.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Initially, went to the wrong rack. There were a pair of the same type of shoes I have with my same water bottle two racks away from mine, also on the end. That delayed me probably 5 seconds, and then I stupidly tried racking my bike by rolling it under the rack, but the aerobars were too high and I had to back it out, and put it on the other side, racking by the seat. Another 5-8 seconds lost.

Remember my rack, something I'm ALWAYS careful to do, but didn't in this one for some reason. Maybe the 3:45am wakeup made me loopy!
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run started with about a 100 yard uphill. Took it slow to get my legs, and as with all my runs, even in training, found my stride about a mile into the race. Gulped some water at two aid stations and poured some on my head, as always, choking and burping a bit. Hate drinking from cups while running, but didn't want to stop to drink. One dude came running out of the woods where he was taking a leak. Unusual for such a short race.
At the halfway mark, I decided to increase my foot speed, and really picked it up. I'd estimate I was doing under 8 minutes on the last mile, which is good for me. Passed a few people, and in the end, had a guy in front of me for about 1/2 mile, and took him on the last uphill, and then sprinted the last 300 yards or so to the finish.

I might have been able to kick up my pace sooner. Also, I'm thinking wearing my Fuel Belt or at least tucking one flask into my shorts for a sprint might make it easier to drink while running. Not sure, but all-in-all, one of my better sprints for the run portion of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit and ate some of the stuff they offered us: bananas, bagels, cookies, Gatorade. Got changed, put my stuff in the car, and then headed over to check the scene. Videoed a bit more to show wife/daughter when I got home, and checked results. Saw that I apparently got 8th in my AG, which is neither here nor there not knowing how many were in my AG. We'll see when official results are posted. Apparently I was somewhere in the top 100. I'll know later this week I guess. There seemed to be plenty of newbies in this event though, so it's less-impressive than it sounds. Ha, ha.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On the bike, lack of tremendous ability on such a tecnical course. I think I rode it well for my current ability level, but I'm pretty timid when it comes to really laying it on edge on my bike. I think I ran well and swam reasonably well though.

Event comments:

A beautiful venue, a nice getaway (even if it were for just a few hours), and a very challenging race!

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 600 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/400?
Performance: Average
Suit: Just my tri shorts
Course: This was a short but tough course. There were three buoys we had to keep on our right, which is good for me being a right breather. Straight out from the small beach on the lake, slight right turn. Straight ahead for about 300 yards, and then a drastic right turn toward a boat ramp for 150 yards or so.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: This was the toughest bike course of the 7 tris I've done. It was also the shortest, but mile-for-mile, it was much more challenging that any of the others. They did bill it as "the most technical sprint course you'll likely find in a triathlon". I was prepared, but that didn't make it any easier. Virtually ZERO straightaways, and non-stop turns, downhills, climbs...a great workout indeed. It was basically a circle around Lake Arrowhead. Beautiful pine forest/lake scenic views! Not that I spent much time looking.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Course: Followed the first 1.5 miles of the bike course, and then returned to the village. Again, plenty of hills, drops, turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-20 4:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: 3rd Annual Lake Arrowhead Triathlon

2005-08-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: #229572

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: 3rd Annual Lake Arrowhead Triathlon
Great job in what sounds like a tough race   Did you see Madcow?  Good luck in your race next week too
2005-08-20 5:54 PM
in reply to: #229628

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks Sue! I still have never met any other BT'ers. I've done 7 tris now, but wouldn't even begin to know how to find another BT'er. Guess I have to set it up in advance.
2005-08-20 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great race!  I went to school at an elevation over 7000 feet so I can definitely agree that your lungs BURN at those altitudes!  Awesome job racing at altitude!  That can be REALLY tough if you aren't used to it!

As for finding other BT'ers...yup...usually you try to find out in advance...post to the forums, etc.  It's a lot of fun having someone to talk to at a race like this...instead of just showing up, racing, and leaving you can talk to folks or go out for a post-race lunch or whatever

Again...excellent job!

2005-08-20 10:56 PM
in reply to: #229648

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks JL! Unfortunately, this race was kind of a "quickie" for me. Had to get back home right after the race due to some obligations, but I will meet up with some BT'ers soon!
2005-08-21 6:00 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice race!  Altitude rocks!  Sounds like a great but difficult race

2005-08-22 11:03 AM
in reply to: #229789

User image

Elite
San Diego

Congrats on your race. We live so close and do all the same races, yet we have never met. This is the second time I've done Arrowhead and each time I get to mile 5 of the bike I swear I will never do this race again, then sometime after the race I can't wait to get back. You had an impressive time. They moved the transition area down the hill about 1/4 mile (I guess) this year so that added a lot to the course distance. What other races are you doing? I think I am done racing for the season but will be at all/most of the San Diego races.

Take care

Tom

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Lake Arrowhead Triathlon Rss Feed