United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 47m 1s
Overall Rank = 866/1197
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 76/105
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45am. Hoped in the shower and then work up my wonderful wife to tape my feet. I used PF Taping on both feet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKGDhxcdtzE). After getting dressed we headed over to Jeff's hotel and grabbed some breakfast and got ready to head on the tram to go to the race start.

The tram was interesting. Packed tight and someone letting one loose didn't help. EWW!

Lucky enough to get to race start, get to the porta john in time and light up for the race. Ate most of a pack of orange Gu Chomps and lined up with my friends Jeff, Ryan, Mike and Analia
Event warmup:

Not much. Just stretched and got amped up for the LONG run.
Run
  • 4h 47m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

My first half was great. Probably went out too hard, but it's hard to know with the downhill first half. My feet held up great. The tape worked well, except it caused some other issues. My feet started to get a ton of hot spots, and after the race figured out that it caused blisters and tore up the skin on my right achilles. It was worth the trade off in my eyes.

Around mile 20 I tore open a blister and it HURT. I had to walk probably the most that mile. After it calmed down I sucked it up and tried to finish hard
What would you do differently?:

I trained really well for this race. I wish injuries to my feet didn't get in the way the last couple months and that I could have finish my training as well as I started. Also, if trained fully I would have been able to know my pace and stick to it. My splits were all over the place.
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent and tired. Tried to stretch and grab some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries to my feet preventing me from finishing my training plan in the last couple months.

Event comments:

The race was fun because of friends etc, but will probably be the last time we do this race. The "goody bag" had NOTHING in it except advertising. Not even coupons. The race shirt was an iron on that wasn't centered and the aid stations were average at best. Water and poweraide most of the time, yet I had to fill my own cup more than once!

Aid stations by the spectators along the course were better than the race. After party was pretty lame and food was meh. Only thing they did great was the medal.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:47:01 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/105
Overall: 866/1197
Performance: Average
Course: Course was an overall down hill. Lots of great downhill in the first half of the race made for a quick first 1/2 of the marathon. Mike and I ran together for the first 17 miles or so and that helped a ton.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2011-04-19 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: Salt Lake City Marathon

2011-04-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3454668

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Salt Lake City Marathon
sounds like a rough go, especially with that blister. Way to carry on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salt Lake City Marathon Rss Feed