Terrapin Events
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 27s
Overall Rank = 849/1776
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/66
Pre-race routine:

Grumbled a bit about getting out of a nice warm bed, then had some cheerios. Did a little bit of rollering and stretching.
Event warmup:

Walked about a half mile from the car to the event. Stretched a bit along the way. Checked our coats and got in the 8:00 to 10:00 min pace group.

We had a false start and everyone had to move back. It's hard to get about 3,000 people to move back. (8K + 10K people all started at once in pace waves.)
Run
  • 57m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good run. I had my Garmin and was careful to not push too hard, given our lack of training. Even so, we've been training at about a 10 min mile pace so 9:15 was a stretch and a lot of effort. Brian and I ran it together this time instead of running our own races. I got a blister on my arch where my shoes rubbed and I think a slight limp caused my other knee to get sore. New shoes are in order.
What would you do differently?:

Train more over the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

We warmed down by standing in the food line. :) We got chicken burritos, oranges and bananas. And beer. Yum! Though I gotta say that it is a bit weird to drink beer at 10am.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatness and lack of training.

Event comments:

This was a fun event. The lines were really long for the beer though and hardly any line at all for food. Fine for me as beer isn't that appealing anyway, and at 10am I'm not interested at all.

I think they would have been better off to provide more stations for the refreshments. The burritos were good though. MMmmm!

Last updated: 2011-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:27 | 06.21 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/66
Overall: 0/1776
Performance: Good
max HR was 180, I think average was in the high 160s.
Course: Hills at the beginning and the end, otherwise mostly flat. All asphalt/roads and watch out for the many train tracks in the industrial areas. This is a fun course where we get to run across two of the city's bridges. The first one is a freeway that we would only otherwise see by car. The route then winds through a swanky downtown area and an industrial area on the way to the second bridge. Just across the river is a commercial/industrial area where the Widmer Brothers brewery and the finish line are located.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes