United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 70/837
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:30am and had light breakfast. Packed quick bag and drove 35 minutes to race... got there way too early so picked up my packet and waited for a while.
Event warmup:

Since I was early I ddi a mile warm up and just kept walkign around. Still had 20 minutes to the start so talked to a few people I knew then warmed up with another .5 mile and some pick-ups.
Run
  • 21m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Was good size field with around 850 runners. The start was a bit hectic though with everyone jammed to the front. I do not care to be jammed in like a sardine for 10 minutes so decided to stay to the side and make my way in after the national anthem. Well, big mistake. I got about 15-20 rows back from the front, but could tell that there were quite a few runners who should have been self-placed a bit back. So gun goes off and it was a mess to make headway at pace I wanted. The first 1/4 mile was weaving and dodging trying to get through. Tough to get a rythm that way. Eventually I found clear road and settled in. Not sure of my splits as I didn't look at watch first mile, just went by feel. It hurt, but felt I could keep it up so I did mile 2. I did not see mile markers either so that through me off. In reality, glad this happed. I just focused on keeping a hard pace I thought I could maintain and kept with same 2-3 runners around me. In my warn up I ran the last .5 of the course so had an idea when we were getting close. Looked at watch and thought I had chance at a PR. Can't say I had a kick left, but kicked it up last 1/4 mile or so. Funny thing was that a guy pulled off to the side about 1/4 from finish which looked like he had a cramp. Next think I know this same guy blows past me at the finish in a death sprint. Crowd cheered him on though. I felt like I did well and my previous PR was 21:35 so cut off about :28. Made me realize I may have a shot one day under 20:00 in cooler weather and more consistent speed work.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the first 5-6 rows so I can have clean start. Otherwise, felt good about race and realize that I actually warmed up prior for the first time and maybe that helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and waited at the finish. During some part of the race, someone screamed my name so wanted to see who it was as they were about .5 back. Then I grabbed breakfast (best post race food you will ever have at a 5k race)! Looked at results and decided to drive back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, will work on start and just try to do same thing next time with pace etc.

Event comments:

This was the 4th year of event and my second time running it. highly recomended to anyone who wants a late spring race and great post-race experience.

Last updated: 2011-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:07 | 03.1 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/39
Overall: 70/837
Performance: Good
Course: Nice easy course with few turns. Flat and fast. Same course each year so at least can get fair comparison with time etc.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes