General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-08-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3455611

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread

Big difference than the course on a HIM and IM, you start run much later on IM than HIM. Guess what your swim + bike is and you'll start running in afternoon but as day progresses towards evening it gets cooler.

From what I heard last year it was abnormally hot...it was in the 90s. For me riding when it is hot doesn't bother me much but running is a different story.

2011-08-27 1:05 PM

Lehigh Valley

stratman..swim is my strength, i did a training swim 2.5miles in 53mins this week, but all of the local pools near me are now closed for cleaning. I plan on taking the swim easy finishing somewhere between 60 - 70 mins. I always wait at start for people to move then find a lane and go, it always works out for me. 

Nervous is not the word, my training schedule has changed completly the last 2 weeks as I started a new job which dropped my weekly milage by about 80 miles total. My plan was to drop next week so I am off of my original training plan by 3 weeks, not good when it was a minimal plan to start. I just keep feelign that I havent trained enough - which I never seem to do.

Add to this a minor injury that has slowed my running, which is my weakest area. I have a slight muscle strain in my hip flexor, only time off will heal it and that is not going to happen for another 28 days.

Glen I hear you, i have found that altering my nutrition has helped with the crash. I also am putting the race day plan together and am not planning on doing a sub 6 hour ride, even though I had 2 during training. I just have not had enough training to push the pace. Oh and I AM UNDERTRAINED.

I have changed the way I talk about the weekend, it is no longer the ironman race, I am now calling it the ironman event that I just want to finish.

Keep training and look out for Irene.

2011-08-29 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
almost 3.5 weeks left......man its coming up sooo fast, im starting to feel the race excitement or the nerves.....anyone got any suggestion on how to saty calm while waitng to begin the swim portion....I started to notice my HR juast goes crazy and It really hurts my swim bc it takes me forever to calm it down before i can really get any rythem....
2011-09-03 10:36 AM

User image

Question on the bike course-it looks like, according to the athlete guide that they only offer gatorade and bananas on the course?  Is that right? It seems strange to not have gu or some kind of bar.  Just wanted to double check with anyone else that's raced this course :-)  3 weeks left!  AHHHH!!!
2011-09-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3671877

User image

Champion
MA

Last year they had gels as well.

I don't recall the brand....I might have it in my AB RR from last year.

On bike aid stations they often have 2-4 people working. So if you want multiple things you may have to slow down or even stop as the aid station is shorter than at a bigger WTC HIM or IM. One aid station later in the day had a couple who was older...handing out water and gatorade. If you wanted something else they had to put down the bottles and pick up what you wanted they did a great job but I remember having to stop to pick up a gel. Not a big deal but be prepared for that.

Couple other notes...

They throw your bike SN bag away after you go through SN

You can drive down to the swim start if you are with someone...we took the bus and there was not a bus back for my husband

2011-09-03 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3671877

New user

The will have water, gatorade, bananas and *I think* Hammer Nutrition.  I emailed them to verify water will be available at the aid stations.

What I would do is take as much as you can with you to start.  When you hit an aid station, grab what you can.  I've been at races where I got 3 gels in the same hand off and a water, then nothing at the next because the volunteers were busy...just don't take everything

2011-09-04 9:24 AM

Lehigh Valley

I am packing as many gels as possible along with endurolyte fizz tablets to drop in water. 

My plan is to eat a pb & j sandwich out of swim, 1-3 bananas during first loop of ride, then transition to gels during second loop of ride - during training I have done better when solids are consumed during first half of ride.

I may try another pb&J durign first mile of mary - which I plan on walking, then gels during rest of it. Overall plan is to run 3, walk 1 - all depends on how the legs feel.

I have cramped during all but 1 of my 100+ rides, nothing to drastic but it took lots of practice with ride nutrition to not cramp on last long ride, which is where the above plan comes from.

Due to the injury - I did a 6 mile run on wednesday, slow - lots of pain after , I am shutting down run for next 6 days and will see how it feels then.

I am in a mary relay next sunday, I have the 6 mile leg, I committed so I will run, just not sure of how fast, originally had target of 7 min miles, that is no longer the goal not re-injurying is goal now.

I have also cut bike milage and speed down considerably, the riding aggravated the leg. So I am doing 20-30 mile rides, 4 days a week at about 17mph, which is 5mph slower than normal for the average the last month. 

Swim will increase beginning this week. All pools that I use for training have closed in the last 3 weeks, this past week none were open = no swimming. Next week, swim plan will be for 4 swims all at 4000+ yards. Warm-up is always a race pace 1 mile swim then followed by sets of 10x 100s, 5x 200s, 5x 300s then some random speed work, 50s,25s, and 125s.

21 days and we will be finished

2011-09-04 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3672588

New user

I'm in the same boat as you zukker.  Strained my left quad two weeks ago on a long training weekend.  Almost no riding, running or swimming since, but it's feeling great today.  Gonna try to get a long run in tomorrow and hope I can stay healthy.  I still have my $ on you for the swim.  Every year at Hempfield you are "out of shape" and still turn in the fastest time

2011-09-04 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3672199

User image

stratman05 - 2011-09-03 7:42 PM

The will have water, gatorade, bananas and *I think* Hammer Nutrition.  I emailed them to verify water will be available at the aid stations.

What I would do is take as much as you can with you to start.  When you hit an aid station, grab what you can.  I've been at races where I got 3 gels in the same hand off and a water, then nothing at the next because the volunteers were busy...just don't take everything

Awesome, thank you!!  I don't mind stopping to do a handoff, just was surprised on the athlete guide to see only water, gatorade and bananas on bike stations. Hopefully they will have gels or bars, but I will always carry my own in case....

2011-09-05 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3672805

New user
KT Tape comes to the rescue again.  I had bad ITBS last year and it let me recover and train.  Put it on my quad Saturday and today managed to get an 18 mile run in.  Starting my taper this week, hoping to just keep the sports fitness up for the race.
2011-09-05 10:48 PM

Lehigh Valley

stratman, nice job with runs that tape works wonders, I stuck to the plan of doing nothing this weekend, the leg still hurts I am beginning to think it may be another stress fracture in my leg, but still hoping it is not.  Last year I did escape from Alcatraz with 3 stress fractures in my femur, it sucked but not during the race. 

I begin to ramp up the swim tomorrow, with all your talk of my swims-i have lots to live up to. I will also be doing spins for rides, its just less stressful.

I will attempt a run on thursday and then have a leg in a mary relay on sunday. I may also do some pool running.

Just looking to finish

2011-09-11 7:27 PM

Lehigh Valley

12 days to go and it is awfully quite here.

I have had some good swims and goods rides the last few days.

The running, well, thats another story. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill the other night and it was tender. The next morning I had a slight limp with a little pain.The pain subsided as the day went on and I decided to run in the relay, 6 miles. Relay was today, I had a great run, no pain before or during averaged 7:15 min miles, felt good, not great but good. I couldnt open the stride, it would hurt the leg when I did.

Now, 8 hours later, my leg is killing, I cannot even walk on it. I am icing it. No running until next week at earliest and that will be on a controlled paced treadmill.

I will continue to swim and ride. I know that I will finish the race, I just do not know how much pain I will be in when it is finished.

2011-09-11 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
I was just thinking that it was real quit on here as well.......Training as been going....motivation is down and im just ready to get to race day...not sure if im ready but im sure ready to try....haha....The swim is what I worry the most, haven't had great swims at all this season, and I got bumped by a car a few weeks ago so bike had some work done and it took a week to get it back, so that hurt than the rain came so alot of my rides the past month has been indoors, but running has been solid..Now just gettingmy gear togehter and getting pretty excited to give it a go....
2011-09-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3681483

New user

Nice job on the relay!

I've been slacking on my swimming, but will get four more in before the race.  Biking just isn't clicking anymore.  My quad is still having issues, so we'll see.  Gonna do a gear test Saturday and get about 30 miles in. I've got a nice flat stretch that I'll be able to get a guesstimate on speed/watts.

Had an OK bike Saturday and a great tempo run Sunday.  Now to just get the workouts in and stay healthy.

2011-09-14 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
10 days away...so how we feeling?
2011-09-14 11:48 AM

User image

PA
I'm enjoying the taper and itching to do the race. Almost time to start looking at the weather forecasts!

2011-09-14 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Ha....very true....im ready for it to be here not sure if im ready for it, but im ready to give it a go...
2011-09-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3686252

New user
Yeah, I'm ready for the race to be done and over with.  This was my A race all year and has been my focus since January...bad idea
2011-09-14 6:52 PM

Lehigh Valley

9 days....excitement over taking me.

Ok so even though i couldnt walk a few nights ago because of my leg injury, I am feeling very excited about this event. The leg still hurts but at least I can walk and it is getting better. Heck in 9 more days it will feel like new..haha!

Did my race pace swim distance last night, felt great, did it in under an hour. Most likely will not do that race day, you know extra people around, no clock to look at, open water, and possible jelly fish may interfere a little.

Will do 4 more swims, 2 being speed work then 2 just staying in the water.

One more 60 mile ride this weekend, slow. 2 other spins inside on trainer, kind of sucks but it is a good training for riding in one position on a FLAT course.

Run, as I said before, no running until the race day, and hope for the best.

I hear ya about the A race, this was mine also, so I have been battling disappointment with my injury for 2 weeks now. Just finish without injuring anything more.

I too am looking at the forecast and the water temps, I do not like swimming with a wet suit, I am hoping for warm weather, well water at least.

See you all soon. Where ya all staying?

2011-09-14 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Im not quite sure if I like tapering....i feel like I should be doing more....I actually got 1 more 3 hour ride and the rest are easy days.....and for the run I have a 90 min run this week and the rest is cake...Ill be headed up to shore to do some ocean swim and some time with the wetsuit.  Anyone interested in a swim on friday before race day?
2011-09-15 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3686993

New user

I rented a house that's on the bike loop.  About 5 miles from the turn around on the run.

I'm the same about going nuts wanting to do more.  Did a little tempo run last night, but am shutting down the efforts.  Saturday is a gear test, then a lot of swimming before hand.  I'm still gonna look for you Zuk and try to hop on your feet.

Edited by stratman05 2011-09-15 6:55 AM

2011-09-15 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3686993

New user
double post

Edited by stratman05 2011-09-15 6:54 AM
2011-09-15 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
So as the big day approaches.....lets spill the beans...whats our goal times? Have they changed from the beginning of the journey to now?....Im shooting for a sub 13 hour finish
2011-09-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3687414

User image

I cant believe we are into single digits!! I am in taper mode....just did last long swim 2.5 in 1:15 which is not bad for me :-)  One last brick this weekend and a midlength run....then rollin into town on Thursday!  I would love to get a swim in Friday....am staying at teh Days Inn.  Ive heard mixed reviews, hopefully it isnt bad.
2011-09-16 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3687892

New user

Sometime between 7 hrs and 15 hrs   Right now I just want to finish and be healthy.  I hate trying to stick to a goal time because I always push it too hard if I'm having a bad day.  What works for me is looking at the clock half way through the run and figuring out what I can do from there. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6