CGI Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 1030/2880
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Just tried to clean out my congestion and stay hydrated. Met jay and grabbed a bagel and pb. Drove up to Rutgers and decided to park by the finish. We noticed what appeared to be a lot of flooding on the drive up.
Event warmup:

Walked the mile or so to the start and was pretty nice out other than the steady 25 mph winds.
Run
  • 1h 21m 53s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well it rained all day on Saturday like nobodies business so as we walked over to gear check it was announced the race was changed to a ten miler due to the two parks on the course being under three feet of water. Not much you can do about mother nature so didnt let it bother me much. More concerned about the wind as was howling pretty good.

Jay and I got in line to start and thought we were between the 8 and 9 minute pacers but were actually back one level so first mile was a slog at just over nine minutes. Thinned out a bit to a 8.30 second mile and then a 7.55 third mile. Jay started to pick it p a bit more than that in the fourth mile so decided to let him go a bit and just pace with a few lovely young ladies as they told me they were planning on low eight minute miles so that worked for me as I left my garmin in the car. The rest was pretty uneventful as hit the half way point feeling good and the one turn around point at 6.5 saw Jay only a minute ahead of me. The two girls who were pacing me fell off a bit at around eight miles going over a foot bridge and then I completely missed the 8 and 9 mile markers and when we came up over an overpass I heard just up there and turn and you're done. I had planned emptying the tank the last mile but only had about a quarter mile left so just dug in and ran as hard as I could home. Was able to pass a few folks in that home stretch and realized I felt a bit too fresh at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Not forget gamin and probably take a shot and stay with Jay as long as possible instead of always playing it safe. Even having said that still happy with my time and ow my body responded to the effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab some water and find Jay t the Ryans Quest tent. Hit the food line and the gear check trucks. Wind was making it seem much older than it actually was so we set out or the car and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not judging my capabilities for the race and pushing harder.

Event comments:

CGI always puts on a great race and did the best they could with the course and flooding from the previous day. Plan on doing this half as long as they have it.

Last updated: 2010-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:21:53 | 10 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2880
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point from the football stadium to the bush campus
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]