General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon ~ Fastest Marathon, but not a "record" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3456709

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon ~ Fastest Marathon, but not a "record"
cam224 - 2011-04-20 10:41 AM
pga_mike - 2011-04-20 3:19 AM While I appreciate that the IAAF gets to set the rules, it is crazy that this is basically the world championship for marathon.  It would be like IM Hawaii not counting for the IM world record.
Agreed. Understandable that the course is faster than others probably by a lot, but shouldn't they then either change the regulations of what is an acceptable course for a marathon or change the Boston course so that it is not so much faster than the others? The mother of all marathons is the prime place for records to be broken because the best are seeded against the best. I know this will never happen but the situation is a little disappointing imo.

I love Boston, but I have to disagree with almost all of this.

A couple of best marathoners go to Boston each year, but as many or more go to London or Rotterdam.  Boston doesn't get the best of the best.  The top 3 current marathoners (imo of course) have never run Boston. 

Boston is great because of its traditions.  If you tried to change the course, you would loose a lot of that. 

The Boston course is slower than the other top marathons other than NY.  It was only faster this week because of the wind

2011-04-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3456841

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

A couple of best marathoners go to Boston each year, but as many or more go to London or Rotterdam.  Boston doesn't get the best of the best.  The top 3 current marathoners (imo of course) have never run Boston. 

Boston is great because of its traditions.  If you tried to change the course, you would loose a lot of that. 

The Boston course is slower than the other top marathons other than NY.  It was only faster this week because of the wind

Money

I agree with you, and to sort of hijack the thread a touch. Who are the 3 best marathoners (iyo) not to have run Boston?

I am guessing Hailie Geb, Sammy Wanjiru, and Tesgay Kebede?????

IMO I would actually put Geoffrey Mutai as the #1 marathoner at the moment, although Emmanualle Mutai can make a good argument for the title.

ok end of hijack

2011-04-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3456873

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
qrkid - 2011-04-20 11:55 AM

Money

I agree with you, and to sort of hijack the thread a touch. Who are the 3 best marathoners (iyo) not to have run Boston?

I am guessing Hailie Geb, Sammy Wanjiru, and Tesgay Kebede?????

IMO I would actually put Geoffrey Mutai as the #1 marathoner at the moment, although Emmanualle Mutai can make a good argument for the title.

ok end of hijack

Off topic, but I was thinking Geb, Wanjiru, and Martin Lel, but a little research showed the Lel ran Boston years ago (although he always runs London now).

Certainly, E. Mutai and Kedede are 2 more top runners who don't do Boson.

I suspect G. Mutai's performance was wind aided by 3-4 minutes.  He is a top runner but not #1.  That goes to Wanjiru.  His olympic performance is the best ever, imo.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon ~ Fastest Marathon, but not a "record" Rss Feed  

of 2