General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dorky idea for finding bike for T1? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-20 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Dorky idea for finding bike for T1?
Okay, I am fixating a bit on T1 for my first race. I am going to bring my bike to the beach next weekend and practice the transition. But I am one of these people who is spatially/directionally challenged. So I am worried about finding my bike. The race does allow people to put balloons, flags, etc. on their bike as long as they don't interfere with others' equipment. But this seems like it could be a hassle to deal with--goofing around with a balloon in T1? So, I thought...what about a really bright bike seat cover?

Something like the swirl pattern here:

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/seatcovers.htm

If I did something like this, would it be a good idea to remove the seat cover or are these OK to ride on? Or can these cause problems? I have a Serfas RX women's saddle that works great for me comfort-wise. The race isn't until Sept. 11 so I would have time to order and ride on it before the race.

2005-08-20 7:39 PM
in reply to: #229698

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Dorky idea for finding bike for T1?

That might not help, and may throw off your bike fit by the thickness of the cover.  If you haven't trained with it, DO NOT DO IT ON RACE DAY!  A few more ideas:

• Tie the bright colored ballon to your handlebars that you can quick-release later OR
  • Tie the bright colored ballon to the rack where your bike is (check with race director first)
  • Have a bright, distinct towel at your transition spot
  • Set up (EARLY!) in a spot you KNOW you can find later (corner, near the exit, etc)
  • Set up near a distinct landmark in the transition area (by a tree, rock, etc.)

Most importantly, walk toward the swim exit are - stop at the entrance to the transition area and spot your stuff.  Walk 1/2 to the swim exit, and look again.  Make sure you KNOW where your stuff is!  When you come running from the swim, start looking - you should be able to spot your stuff before you enter the transition area this way.

If the TA spot isn't assigned by number, I like to find a spot as close to the end of a rack as possible.  I have a distinct towel that I put my stuff on, and I always walk/spot my stuff from the swim.

Edited by joeinco 2005-08-20 7:42 PM
2005-08-20 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
What I've seen at every tri I've done this year is people marking the ground with chalk throughout the transition area, pretty much setting out paths for themselves to find their stuff. I've seen it in all 4 races I've done, though it was far more prevalent in the 2 women's only races.

Personally, I've always been able to find someone in my row that had already marked the ground, and I just had to remember who I was for the morning.
2005-08-20 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I always get there way early..and walk around alot (like an hour or more)...that allows me to become familiar with where my bike is (and I like to "experience" the day and wander to see everyone else's toys).

Edited by stormpetrel 2005-08-20 9:14 PM
2005-08-20 9:22 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
At my first try I had a sweet spot close to the exit for the swim..it was first come first serve. Last weekend it was assigned by race number. Because I was in the last heat, I was in the ASS end of the transition. I ran from the pool to my bike a couple of times, got that down. But I couldn't find my spot on the exit from the bike..took the wrong isle because I was going by the Cervelo parked next to me...unfortunately someone in the row after mine had the same cervelo...it was a bit of a time waste. I was thinking about getting a Bee balloon (superfuzz understands).
2005-08-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #229759

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thank you for all the suggestions -- very helpful! I also did a web image search on "transition area" and was surprised at the number of photos available. This was helpful as I could see a range of transition area set-ups so now I have a better picture of things.

2005-08-21 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I put one of those ribbon things on my handle bars...and take it off of course to race.  My last tri I was on a borrowed bike and it had a yellow seat...very easy to see so the seat cover is a good idea.  I am thinking a layer of lycra probab;y won't effect your bike fit but I would try it out before you race like that. 
2005-08-21 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
very good of you to think of this. My first tri I had read all of the suggestions and I thought "feh, I can figure out where my bike is. I'm not spatially challenged" and the race director had marked the aisles with numbers. Piece of cake, just remember landmarks and my number. When I got out of that lake, I had NO clue what my aisle number was nor were any of the landmarks around because like an idiot, I had used bikes and gear as my landmarks. 3/4 of those were gone by the time I got out of the water.

THEN, when I came back from the bike to do the run, I forgot AGAIN where I was to rack my bike. I had to walk the aisles a few times before I found my maroon towel next to an empty spot. My brain was not functioning during the race, i have to idiot proof my spot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dorky idea for finding bike for T1? Rss Feed