Midwest Sports Events
coldF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 43m 22s
Overall Rank = 169/1274
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/81
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the City Center hotel. Old but can't beat the location. Start right outside door and finish a block away.
Got up around 5:30 ate half bagel with pb&j.
Event warmup:

While most were in the lobby we went to the 2nd floor where we had a great view of the happenings outside. Stretched, jogged the halls a bit to warm up.
Run
  • 1h 43m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Once we got moving the weather was no longer a concern except for the wind. I knew that I was unnder prepared for this race and it felt like it. Also just getting over a cold I spent a lot of time hacking esp. in the first 5 miles. I knew a pr was out of the question so I just wanted to keep it under 8 min miles. The last few miles were tough for me mentaly especially the last mile into the wind so I was just happy that I didn't let my mind win and I kept pushing.
What would you do differently?:

I was 5 min slower than last year but I was healthy and the conditions were perfect. Not much I could change and I am actually pleased with the race. I needed a good kick in the pants for training motivation and this was it.
Post race
Warm down:

Mary and Nick did the 5k and had very good races with Nick dropping a lot of time from last year. I really didn't expect to see them at the finish due to the weather but they stuck it out. After a couple of minutes I was just freezing and no way to warm up. Had a quick beer as that was my carrot for the last couple of miles and got to the hotel to get out of the wet gear. Best thing about staying there is a warm shower and change before the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning and overall health but no suprises.

Event comments:

This has been my first race for the last couple of years. Except the year that Johnny Depp and co. forced us out of the hotel we have really enjoyed this race.

Last updated: 2011-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:22 | 13.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/81
Overall: 0/1274
Performance: Below average
Course: Fine but with rain some areas were pretty sloppy.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes