General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feeling confused after friends went to Paleo diet.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-21 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3457650

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: feeling confused after friends went to Paleo diet..
DiOnMaui - 2011-04-20 7:41 PM

But opposite of Metafizx, I'm the odd girl out.  And now I've become "THAT" girl at work and with my family.  You know the one - the "she's on some crazy diet," "she won't eat REAL food," (i.e. fast food, processed food, ice cream for heaven's sake!).  I've been pleasantly surprised when eating out that I can get a virtually paleo meal at most restaurants (not fast food, though, which I just won't eat anymore). And I get to try new things I wouldn't have considered otherwise. 

I know what you mean, I'm a vegetarian and I was called a communist at our company Christmas party bc I don't eat meat. The guy's logic being that factory farms are good for a capitalist society so I'm not supporting America. Or something.

To the OP, I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, and I havent lost any friends bc we don't have the same diet. If you are bothered that your friends are only talking about food right now, that will pass.

2011-04-21 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3457218

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

last night we had "tacos" Paleo style. I had to laugh, there were no taco shells or tortillas for the hard-cores.  Instead, raw red cabbage leaves to put everything in.  I was like "okkaayy" and dug in. Was pretty good, but a bit strange.  The meat was the highlight of course.

I did notice they tossed a few tortilla chip rounds on a plate to appease the non-Paleo's that might graze. They were probably stale (chuckle)

2011-04-21 3:45 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

I've been doing Paleo for about a year (I think. Can't really remember when I started).  But I eat dairy (especially butter and half and half for the coffee) and also moderate amounts of wine.  Beer sometimes, but that I consider to be cheating.  

My basic rule is to avoid foods that you basically couldn't digest if you ate them raw.   Almost any part of an animal is digestible raw.  (Note:  I don't actually eat much raw food, just foods that I COULD eat raw if I had to.)   Fruits and vegetables are digestible raw.  Grains are not.  They will basically go right through you.   I have a thing for potatoes, so I eat more of them than I should while sort of convincing myself that I could digest raw tubers.   I also try to avoid seed oils.  The basic idea here is that while all you have to do to get olive oil is press some olives, most other oils (corn, soybean) require a science lab. 

In the end, you end up eating foods that were around pre-agriculture under the idea that most of our evolution took place before agriculture was invented.  Works for me.  Your mileage may vary. 

2011-04-21 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
2011-04-21 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3459818

User image

metafizx - 2011-04-21 8:05 PM

I found this article interesting :

http://www.leighpeele.com/the-paleo-diet-fad-religion-or-solution

Yeah, I find a lot of strawman arguments interesting.

People who try to make all this garbage black and white get annoying fast. Try it if you're interested. Don't try it if you're not interested. If, after some time, it's not working for you, try something else. Try it with minor modifications.

Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it will never work for anybody. Hell, even within our sport some people swear by Hammer Nutrition and some people cannot tolerate it. Some live for GU and some think it's horrid. Some love Infinit and some can't keep it down. Deal with it, it works for others.
2011-04-21 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

actually I am learning about it and taking in the points that seem relevant to me.

the responses have been interesting to see what others are doing...

2011-04-21 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3459839

Elite
Denver, Colorado
DanielG - 2011-04-21 7:25 PM

metafizx - 2011-04-21 8:05 PM

I found this article interesting :

http://www.leighpeele.com/the-paleo-diet-fad-religion-or-solution

Yeah, I find a lot of strawman arguments interesting.

People who try to make all this garbage black and white get annoying fast. Try it if you're interested. Don't try it if you're not interested. If, after some time, it's not working for you, try something else. Try it with minor modifications.

Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it will never work for anybody. Hell, even within our sport some people swear by Hammer Nutrition and some people cannot tolerate it. Some live for GU and some think it's horrid. Some love Infinit and some can't keep it down. Deal with it, it works for others.

Why don't more people get this? And what's up with Leigh? Talk about needing to lighten up something awful. "Paleo" is just a catchy little name - nothing else. We really didn't need a lengthy discussion comparing and contrasting the paleolithic vs. mesozoic vs. cretaceous vs. oligocene epochs, or whatever the first paragraph was trying to do. Saying "I'm eating Paleo" is just catchier than saying "I'm eating Olig." People might ask, "Who's Olig?" And no, going Paleo does not mean I will be giving up modern medicine and going to the tribal medicine man.

Paleo is meat and vegetables. How is that controversial? It's also not that controversial that some people do not tolerate grains too well. And to be perfectly blunt, if someone is obese, chances are that they have some insulin resistance going on. Reducing starchy carbs can help this issue. That's all that Paleo purports to do. If you do fine with carbs and only have a few pounds to lose, great - you probably do not need to eat Paleo.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2011-04-21 11:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feeling confused after friends went to Paleo diet.. Rss Feed  

of 2