General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-07-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3457633

User image

Regular
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread

the following is an e-mail that I sent to ironman muncie 70.3,  concerning there ONLY offer, i encourage everyone to email them and express your sentiments of what you believe the appropriate responce should be from WTC....

although i do understand that the weather was uncooperative this weekend for the muncie 70.3 i still am very disappointed that the race was shortened, and even more disappointed that WTC can only offer me 125.00 dollars off of a chosen few future 70.3 races between now and October of this year....I think the more appropriate responce by WTC would be to give the person who paid over $200.00 for a 70.3 race more choices such as...(1) offer a refund of $125.00,  (2)  the currently offered voucher ($125 off four 70.3's),  or  $125.00 voucher  for next years muncie 70.3 ironman....after the race i heard many participants say the same thing "i cant afford another race this year"....i for one am one of those people I have paid out over $800.00 to  WTC (doing lousiville this year) so your offer for discount on the select few does me no good....give more of a choice,  many will appreciate that more and be back for next year, don't and  many may never return to Ironman (WTC events) and go to other 70.3 venues that WTC does not own....Thank you for your time and consideration,  David     Muncie, IN

2012-07-08 5:40 PM

User image

Kenton
I agree. As much as I would love to do Muncie again, the value was just not there. The Cedar Point Rev3 is only 2 hours away, so I may do that next year instead. Now, if the "powers that be" wise up, I may be back. I also agree with whoever mentioned the lousy way that the 2:00 group was told of the change. It was basically mumbled to us by the slouching director at the podium. Though I know he was bummed too, half of the group didn't "get" the change.
2012-07-08 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I will probably be emailing WTC with the same senitments. I registered for New Orleans 70.3, Muncie 70.3, and Augusta 70.3. After all that $$ in race fees, if Augusta goes right, looks like it will be my first 70.3 of the year, but my 3rd time paying the cost of a WTC 70.3 this year. I am fortunate I was able to get into Rev3 Florida 70.3 in October free of cost through my triathlon team, but I am still upset about training hard for two 70.3s and finding out both times the day before the race I wasn't getting a real 70.3.

After New Orleans and now Muncie I feel as if I bring bad luck with me, so if you are registered for Augusta watch out, I will be there.....
2012-07-09 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4299763

New user
, Indiana
sbrdave - 2012-07-08 10:28 AM

Paul, results were up yesterday. Go to ironman.com, look up at the top. There should be top bar with Muncie Reults and Track an athlete there. If not, there's a red Live Race Coverage "button" at the top right. Click on that arrow and the top bar appears with Muncie listed. I just checked and your results are there. The only thing they don't list are your AG places in the individual disciplines. They list your place in your AG after each discipline though, plus transition times are there too.

Congrats on your finish!

Thanks, was looking on the Muncie specific page. Pretty happy with my times.
2012-07-09 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
At least they offered you a discounted future entry to something.  Boise was cut down to a 28.3 and Race Directors failed to make any attempt to shelter athletes from the crazy cold weather, even though they promised 2 heating tents.  Boise people got nothing for the shortened course.
2012-07-09 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
I don't have too much to add per se from what many have said here. So this will be more of a reiteration from my perspective with some thoughts/experiences thrown in too.

Like elkboy65, I too plan to send something to either the Ironman/WTC or Ironman Muncie 70.3 contact link about the lameness/weak gesture to compensate us a bit for the reduced distance event. I'm tapped out as far as signing up for any more races in 2012 and it's not just the registration but travel, lodging, and food that adds up as well. The biggest reason I signed up with my friend is that we were staying with his sister in Anderson (and things actually turned out better as we were in their RV at the race site overnight ). Paid for part of the gas in travel too. So, I can't use the discount for any of the 2012 races. Quite honestly, I'd take half of the $125 if I could apply it to a 2013 event that was a lot closer like Eagleman, Poconos, or even Syracuse.

BTW - to mountain_erin...that is just SO wrong and as one other person put it, just more reasons why the independents could capitalize on such issues and possibly continue to grow. Hopefully, you and others did the same thing many of us are doing. And with that disregard to the athlete/customer, folks will stop coming to such an event. I'd just like to say that IMHO that while we're offered something, it still isn't the right type of offer if one is really considering the athlete's costs, time in training, etc and to keep athletes coming back.

On the positive side, we did get to race and like the pros, several of us talking later considered what we would've faced had it not been shortened. Saw lots of IV bandages, saw one person carried from the Finish, heard of one other collapsing at the Finish, good amount of slow running, walking, and cramping. Heard a lot of "First Time" on folks at the finish, though I don't know if that was first HIM or first tri. Still, hot for either. If any of you went over the original 13.1 run course, you saw that essentially miles 4 - 8 or perhaps a bit more had NO shade. That would've done a number on volunteers and athletes alike.

I'm going to digress a sec: To counter what I just said, Eagleman has NO shade on the run and the heat was actually similar for several of those over the last few years now. And looking at the temperature/heat indexes recorded nearby that we probably faced, they didn't get up to the levels forecast with the actual numbers coming in about 5 degrees lower. These were similar to Eagleman 70.3 in 08 and just this year as well. No shortening of the event there.

Back to a BIG positive - I thought the volunteers were SUPER! After my one bike shoe came unclipped from my bike as I entered T2, a volunteer followed me all the way to my rack spot to return it to me! And one volunteer ran beside me to give me a cup of the Ironman carb drink when no one at that run station had any ready for me when I yelled out for it. Other than that, I was handed plenty of what I asked for on the run.

One note on the swim. I actually didn't think it was long. Without a wetsuit, turned out to be a typical slow swim for me and perhaps a bit better than other Olympics I've done. However, this time should've been different as my pool and OWS practice times had been showing me I could've really done quite better than I had in years, even without a wetsuit. So I was really disappointed at first...Just couldn't get my timing or relax. Lots more bumping than a LOT of other tris I've been at too. Then talked to other guys in transition later and they said the same thing about lack of rhythm and breathing issues. My friend had similar issues. He told his swim coach the next day about the 88 degree water and the coach was just shocked. And for this reason taken from an article in Livestrong.com: "When you swim hard and far in hot water, you sweat more, lose sodium and other electrolytes, and risk dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration include muscle cramps and dizziness. Severe dehydration can cause nausea, electrolyte imbalance and even heart arrhythmia. " USA Swimming won't permit races in distances 5K and over if water temp is above 87.8 degrees.

On a not so great note, the shortened bike course allowed for a good number of draft packs (though refs were out in force) plus A LOT more folks on the course at the same time. So, it got quite crowded out there than if we had done 26 more miles, especially coming back and hitting the later folks entering the big out and back portion. Found myself having to wait several times to pass folks because a pack of much faster folks were overtaking me. Still, my avg bike speed is a PR for a tri course even if the course was 29 vs 30 miles (my computer indicated 29).

As I had just completed a bike/run brick (44/6 miles) the previous Sunday in similar heat conditions and now had the super volunteer support, I was able to post a decent run pace nearly the same as that training run (7:32 min/mi). Felt decent enough after that perhaps I could've put out a bit more.

So overall and despite the shortened race, my training seemed to prepare me pretty well for the conditions and I was able to turn in a solid performance for the event. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you (I think), but perhaps at another event. Doubt I'll come back to Muncie though. In case any of you are interested, I'll probably post my race report later this week. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your 2012 season!

2012-07-10 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran

Did everyone get the new email they sent out? Looks like I may sign up for next year now.

Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie Athletes,

We appreciate your patience and flexibility after the 2012 Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie was shortened last Saturday due to unprecedented, record high temperatures and an Excessive Heat Warning issued by The National Weather Service.

We are committed to giving participants the race experience that they’ve worked so hard to achieve. After listening to your feedback, we have decided to extend a discounted entry of $150 for the 2013 Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie, scheduled for July 13, 2013, in addition to the $125 discount to select 2012 IRONMAN 70.3 races that was offered on Friday. Athletes may choose to use one or both of these offers.

The $125 discount to one of the following races is still active, in addition to the new discounted entry of $150 for the 2013 Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie event:

• Maytag IRONMAN 70.3 Steelhead – August 19, 2012
• IRONMAN 70.3 Timberman – August 19, 2012
• IRONMAN 70.3 Branson – September 23, 2012
• IRONMAN 70.3 Austin – October 28, 2012

"Athlete safety and providing a first-class event experience are our primary concerns," said Shane Facteau, Vice President of North American Operations for World Triathlon Corporation. "We never like to cancel or modify a race, but sometimes conditions beyond our control, like Saturday's record high temperatures, force us to do just that. Many athletes have expressed that they would prefer discounted entry for Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie next year, so we will offer both options to allow participants to choose a race that works best for them."

Each Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie athlete will receive registration instructions via email this week. Discounts and codes are non-transferable and for one-time use only. The discounts are restricted to new registrations and will not be offered on existing entries. Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie Relay Teams may apply these offers toward relay or individual entries. Entries will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and if an event closes during this time, it will no longer be available. The $150 discounted entry for the 2013 Affresh IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie will expire on September 1, 2012. The $125 discount for select 2012 IRONMAN 70.3 races will expire on October 15, 2012.

We wish you the best of luck in your training and racing, and look forward to seeing you at another IRONMAN 70.3 event soon!

-- The IRONMAN Team

2012-07-10 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4304259

User image

Bham Area

Hi Guys.....

Let me first start by saying that I would not have made it if we had to do the whole thing. With all my training in the heat of Alabama......It did me no good as the dew point ate my arse up.

the swim: Controlled Chaos.....I have done sprints with tons of people in a 400-600 yd. distance with less bump and grind. My 1 mile time was equal to my 1.2 mile time at Muncie....and I will tell you that the hot water did play into a part in my bonking....I have never cramped in any event before including marathons in mississippi in hot weather.....but at mile 20 on the bike my legs started to go a bit.....

the bike: awesome until mile 28 when I blew a tube......still managed 20mph even with a change.....I knew something was wrong when I noticed my hands shaking while messing with my levers.

T2: total meltdown.......I couldn't even rack my bike. My hands were shaking so bad.......good lord. I had done a 60/6 brick in 95 degree alabama sun 2 week prior with no issues at all.....why now?

the run: I ran the first mile and boom....asthma.....I had been diagnosed in the army with heat related exercise induced asthma....which had been dormant since 1999. 4 months ago at the Georgia Half Marathon I had a touch of it when temps got into the high 80s in mid march and NO ONE had a chance to get used to that temp and humidity.....but....it went away....at mile 2 on saturdays run it hit me like a train....along with leg cramps....I felt like a total tool, but I walked 90% of it.....and I felt worse than at any time in my life at the finish line. I walked mostly with a 2 time MDotter from Chitown....he stayed with me when He probably could have gone on to finish 10 or so minutes better. Kudos to him for that..........all in all.....I got my arse kicked. I wasn't ready for that type of heat and dew point.....its totally different in Alabama....esp for big guys like me......which leads me to the last point below. My last 2 miles I was cramping and breathing like a 90 year old climbing stairs.....it was all I had to cross the line. I sat on the ground scared to get up for over 30 mins just off the finish area.....it was truly scary to me. I was and continue to be deflated over the whole thing.....

RD and WTC made the right call.......sorry to those that disagree.....the way they made it (timing) was messed up, but the right call without a doubt.

As for me.....I cancelled all my events for the rest of the year that I did not already have paid for...I am still running the NYC Marathon in Nov. and a few other halfs, but I am shutting down the Tri season early. Muncie pointed out a glaring issue that I knew yet ignored.....I need to drop size and weight before I do this again.....it may have been weather induced, but I NEVER want to walk or drag arse ever again.....I don't want to be THAT guy that drops dead and causes a black eye to the sport.....the guy that wasn't prepared. I thought I had......I did a mock Half (the whole thing) a month ago in 85 degree temps and did it under 6:30 without any difficulty at all.....O little did I know....You can't be a power lifter and an Ironman.....its stupid.....and now I know.....a heck of a way to get the wake up call though. I will do the best I can to redeem myself next year........

Anyways....I will be towing the line in NOLA in April 2013 for my third shot at a half (I was at NOLA this year)........and hope to be a lot better off in every way. This sport means a lot to me and I have learned to love it....I hate the running....but love the sport. If you are in NOLA next year.....I am not hard to pick out.....come by and wish me luck.....and please....tell me to remember to slow down on the bike please...

Edited by aubosox 2012-07-10 4:18 PM
2012-07-10 4:59 PM

User image

Kenton
Looks like Im in as well! $150.00 will cover the cost of my hotel.
2012-07-10 5:19 PM

Wow, what a difference a voices make. I too was upset but now not so much. I may take them up on both offers. I am probably going to do timberman and make a family vacation out of it. I really enjoyed the muncie course. It was my fastest bike ever so I will probably do it again. I am really getting excited. That being said after Muncie next year and my first full IM next year, I will probably do rev3 or local events from then on. Ironman is getting way to expensive.
2012-07-10 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The email appears to be carefully worded to look like "$150 off" next year's Muncie 70.3 but I believe it actually means the entry fee will be $150.  Not as big of a discount as I thought initially.

2012-07-11 8:31 AM

User image

New user

Did anyone else have trouble seeing after the first right turn in the swim? Last year I was completely blind and had to stop several times to take off my goggles to sight. This year I had tinted goggles and this helped some, but after the second turn I was blind again! Thankfully I'm getting better at the open water so it wasn't as big of an issue, but I would like to be able to see. Any suggestions?!?
2012-07-11 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
After the 2nd turn I could only see about 20 feet. I just tried to follow the people in front of me but I still ran into a guy in a kayak.
2012-07-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4305362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
farr0117 - 2012-07-11 9:31 AM

Did anyone else have trouble seeing after the first right turn in the swim? Last year I was completely blind and had to stop several times to take off my goggles to sight. This year I had tinted goggles and this helped some, but after the second turn I was blind again! Thankfully I'm getting better at the open water so it wasn't as big of an issue, but I would like to be able to see. Any suggestions?!?

Not after the first but the second turn, we were swimming straight into the sun. So, I basically just followed the folks in front of me. Had some difficulty seeing the buoys but I couldn't seen the swim out arch until I was much closer. I had tinted goggles on as they seem to do best in cloudy and sunny conditions. The only thing I could suggest is goggles meant for direct sun (i.e. mirrored) if you know you're going to be those conditions. When I sight, my goggles barely come up above the water surface and I just take a quick snapshot so the sun doesn't blind me completely. Take as many of those that I need to try and ensure I'm still on course. You could also attempt to note your surrounding more when taking a breath to either side too, though this takes a bit of practice too.
2012-07-11 11:04 AM

New user
, Indiana
Pretty happy about the discount for next year's race in addition to the events offered this year. I think WTC got it right.

As for sighting, I had difficulty swimming straight on the way out, but no trouble sighting until I made the first turn. I had mirrored goggles and had to clear the fog once, but the damn sun made it terrible still, then after the second turn it got worse. My swim time was what I would have expected for 1.3 miles not 1. I was all over the place. I wish they had more buoys closer together to be able to see easier without looking into the sun.
2012-07-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4304507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
mghawaly - 2012-07-10 6:19 PM

Wow, what a difference a voices make. I too was upset but now not so much. I may take them up on both offers. I am probably going to do timberman and make a family vacation out of it. I really enjoyed the muncie course. It was my fastest bike ever so I will probably do it again. I am really getting excited. That being said after Muncie next year and my first full IM next year, I will probably do rev3 or local events from then on. Ironman is getting way to expensive.

Alas, none will work for me All tapped out for race registrations this year. And I think IM brand races are already too expensive which is why I'm doing The Great Floridian Ultra distance this year as my first 140.6 distance event. It was only $250 with a promo special if one signed up before Nov 15. Good luck to you! I would love to do Timberman or Steelhead. Probably won't be back for Muncie though due to overall expenses.

2012-07-11 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Muncie, IN
i have to agree that WTC got it right....even at $150.00 i think thats the right thing to do....i save 75.00....considering the bag, cap, shirt, hat, gels, aid stations, athlete support, finisher medal...etc...$150.00 for a WTC HIM is not a bad price....and i can save 125 off the 4 others...i may not use the 125 off the four others, but i would say that people would be hard pressed to find a HIM tri with all the goods and bennies for mentioned above for $150.00.....thats about what i was paying when it was the muncie endurathon....Thanks WTC....Smile

Edited by elkboy65 2012-07-11 11:45 AM
2012-07-11 1:54 PM

I just re-read the offer for next year--IT'S $150 ENTRY FEE FOR MUNCIE. NOT $150 OFF!! That means if you sign up for the early entry, which I believe this year was $199, you will save $49. I think it's about $100 off the regular price of the race. What a raw deal. Again WTC does not care about its athletes.

Here is the letter I sent to them yesterday: 

To Whom It May Concern,

As an athlete who participated in Saturday's race, I understand the decision you had to make regarding the safety of the participants, and I am glad that you revised the initial discount offer to include next year's Muncie 70.3 race. This is an improvement over the four race selection you gave us upon changing the race distances. However, by giving your participants such a limited choice of events, you are not putting your athletes first. Many of us will not be able to travel as far as we did this year due to family or financial circumstances, including myself.

If you read through the comments on the Facebook page for both this race and on the Ironman 70.3 page, you will notice that a majority of the athletes were hoping for a discount to any Ironman 70.3 race during the next 12 months. This would be the prudent decision since it provides the participants with flexibility and the ability to still compete in a 70.3-branded race, which would make WTC race organizers happy.

While I don't expect you to revise your discount decision, I would like you to take it into consideration and provide your athletes with the best opportunity to take advantage of the discount so they can enjoy the terrific experience that is an Ironman 70.3 race.

Thank you,
Chad Safran 

Feel free to copy it and either send it to WTC or revise it in your own way. The more people that contact them the more they can understand our frustration.

2012-07-11 6:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have heard a couple people mention hats and visors. All I got was a tech shirt... Were these supposed to be in the swag bag?
2012-07-11 6:28 PM

User image

New user
Cincinnati

I think the hats were given out at the finish. I didn't get one but my wife did. I'm still on the fence as to if I will do it next year or not.

I just got an e-mail from Finisherpix stating that my race photos could be downloaded in the provided link. Problem is I didn't order any????  Did anyone else get this?

2012-07-11 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4306785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
wbattaile - 2012-07-11 7:06 PM

I have heard a couple people mention hats and visors. All I got was a tech shirt... Were these supposed to be in the swag bag?

I was handed a hat right after I finished (have the pic to prove it too ). Wasn't in the swag bag.

2012-07-11 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4306231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Chad, that's fairly close to what I sent them too. While I'm glad some of the folks who are more local can take advantage of the discounted entry fee and other race discounts, I'm already tapped out as far as 2012 race budget goes. I let WTC know that even if they had given me like $50-65 off for a 2013 event, that would've satisfied me since I did get to race an Olympic distance on Sat. I could've chosen a closer HIM race like Eagleman, Poconos, or even Syracuse and I could've budgeted it for 2013. It's not all about the registration fee but the travel expenses that go with it, not to mention ramping back up the training time. So, I'm still a bit disappointed though not totally surprised. Well, I don't expect them to add any more to this and will just have to bite the bullet. Considering all the HIM distance events we have here on the East Coast that cost less than WTC IM brands, I'm probably going to have to consider them first from now on.

Hey all - take care and glad every one made it in one piece! Good luck for the remainder of the season and glad a good number of you sound like you can take advantage of the discounts that were offered. Good luck next year for those who can try for the full distance again!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10