General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-07-05 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4295546

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread

wbattaile - 2012-07-05 1:08 PM SBRDave- looks like Sunday will be about 15 degrees cooler... Can you pull some strings and bring that weather in sooner ? :-)

isn't the arbitrariness of life amusing sometimes?

@sbrdave - yes of course, the volunteers as much if not more so. We are going to be a handful on Saturday!

2012-07-05 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4295546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
wbattaile - 2012-07-05 1:08 PM

SBRDave- looks like Sunday will be about 15 degrees cooler... Can you pull some strings and bring that weather in sooner ? :-)

Unfortunately, I'm in Sales and not the Production Department...you'll have to talk to your local priest, minister, rabbi, or other denomination designated holy person as they have a more direct line to the Production Department Yeah, if only that front would come through a bit sooner. Still, things can change. A quote about models - "All models are wrong. Some are useful". So, the models can miss important changes and perhaps things will evolve faster than they predicting presently. A bit less than 2 days to go and with Ironman -> "Anything is possible"

If I see anything significant this evening, I'll post again on the weather. Final post perhaps sometime tomorrow, but we're traveling to the race site tomorrow and might not be able to log in until the evening.

2012-07-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4295509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
aubosox - 2012-07-05 12:55 PM

If it is that hot getting off the bike....I will be reduced to a lot of walking. I am a previous heat injury person.....sooooo.....dang

If it's any help, I don't think you'll be alone. I'd find someone to share the walk with for mutual support. There was a lot of that going around at Eagleman 2008. A gal who stuck with me for a bit said she had never seen so many folks walking in a Half Ironman run before.
2012-07-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3457633

User image

Kenton
Heat Index of 105? Food gravy. I'm going to weigh myself after this one! This is my first HIM, just finish, baby!
2012-07-05 3:20 PM

New user
, Indiana
This will be my first HIM too and I have no idea how the aid stations on the bike work. Do I stop, or exchange on the "fly", if on the fly how do I grab gels, electrolytes and water? Is the aid station long enough. I am really worried about the heat, so if I can get the aid station set in my mind I can focus on the heat, lol.
2012-07-05 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4296018

Extreme Veteran

paulzale - 2012-07-05 4:20 PM This will be my first HIM too and I have no idea how the aid stations on the bike work. Do I stop, or exchange on the "fly", if on the fly how do I grab gels, electrolytes and water? Is the aid station long enough. I am really worried about the heat, so if I can get the aid station set in my mind I can focus on the heat, lol.

The bike aid stations are nice and long, just slow down a bit, come out of aero, and you'll be able to get watever you need.

2012-07-05 4:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

wife is tracking the FB page. She just notified me the start time was moved up 30 minutes to 6:30...fyi

2012-07-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4296095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Bodaggit - 2012-07-05 4:57 PM

paulzale - 2012-07-05 4:20 PM This will be my first HIM too and I have no idea how the aid stations on the bike work. Do I stop, or exchange on the "fly", if on the fly how do I grab gels, electrolytes and water? Is the aid station long enough. I am really worried about the heat, so if I can get the aid station set in my mind I can focus on the heat, lol.

The bike aid stations are nice and long, just slow down a bit, come out of aero, and you'll be able to get watever you need.

And yell out to the volunteers what you need if you "grab and go". And really do slow down if you're going to do that so you don't bang into someone. But what paulzale said works well. If you're unsure, best to just pull over out of the way, stop, and get what you need. BTW, if you have trash or empty the bottle, ensure you discard it there rather than elsewhere as you can get a yellow penalty card for littering on the course.

Edited by sbrdave 2012-07-05 5:08 PM
2012-07-05 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4296181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Bnclev - 2012-07-05 5:51 PM

wife is tracking the FB page. She just notified me the start time was moved up 30 minutes to 6:30...fyi

Guess we'll see what else they do at the briefing. They may decide to either reduce time between swim waves or group more together. There's a big red **Tentative-Subject to Change!** on the swim wave pdf.
2012-07-05 5:42 PM

Regular

Does anyone out there use the First Endurance nutrition products??? Poor planning on my part and now I am in desperate need for some grape EFS Drink and have called every bike shop between here (Grand Rapids, MI) and Muncie without having any luck. 

I'd gladly pay top dollar for a few scoops if anyone is going to have any with them.

2012-07-05 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4296247

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
kevinneumann - 2012-07-05 6:42 PM

Does anyone out there use the First Endurance nutrition products??? Poor planning on my part and now I am in desperate need for some grape EFS Drink and have called every bike shop between here (Grand Rapids, MI) and Muncie without having any luck. 

I'd gladly pay top dollar for a few scoops if anyone is going to have any with them.

Hi Kevin,

I am going to Muncie not to race, but to support a friend.  I have some EFS powder that I could bring.  The only flavor I have is Fruit Punch, though.  But, if you get in a bind and have no other choice, let me know and I will bring it!

2012-07-05 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4296198

New user
, Indiana
Thanks for the tips, I'll most likely pull over at least until I understand and see how it all works. I mean a couple of minutes maybe good Saturday given all the heat. I know this is an "Ironman", but any chance they cancel given the heat and concern marathons have had the past several years? Glad they moved it up 30 minutes, but another 30 would be nice!
2012-07-05 6:53 PM

User image

Kenton
They could move it up further for all I care, I'm in one of the last swim waves.
2012-07-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4296296

Regular

Stacie-

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll pass though. I've never tried the fruit punch flavor to know if it would settle with me or not. The fruit punch Gatorade is a nightmare while the other flavors are fine so I am worried that there is something in the artificial fruit punch "flavors" that doesn't digest well. I ended up finding some Powerbar Perform powder that I think will work. I did the Perform powder all of last season and it worked pretty well. I just got screwed at IMWI with the oncourse Perform because the premixed stuff tasted and digested completely different than the powder(too syrupy or something). Oh well. Between the weather, stubbing my toe and ripping a chunk of skin off it, and poor planning on my nutrition needs, this is going to make for an interesting race to say the last

-Kevin

2012-07-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4296314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
paulzale - 2012-07-05 7:45 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll most likely pull over at least until I understand and see how it all works. I mean a couple of minutes maybe good Saturday given all the heat. I know this is an "Ironman", but any chance they cancel given the heat and concern marathons have had the past several years? Glad they moved it up 30 minutes, but another 30 would be nice!

I would doubt it...Eagleman 70.3's been like this for 3 years out of the 5, this year included. It's similar with lack of shade on the bike and run too. In 08, it was 90 something when I started the run and heat indexes were in the low 100s. Talk about trial by fire for my first HIM!

And on that note, for those of you that this is the first HIM and you just want to finish, here's what I did on the run for mine as we had NO time to acclimate to the heat as it started the week of the race after a cool April and May:

- Run/jog (or walk) to the aid station
- Walk through the aid station taking in ice (hat), water (and pouring that over me too), and whatever else I needed to help me keep going.
- When ready, jog/run (or walk) to the next aid station and repeat for each one after that.

I did okay with this strategy and actually had a couple people follow me for support since I seemed to be handling the heat better than others. At that time, my normal pace was around 9 min/mile but I was okay with the 10:23 pace I ended up with. I had finished my first HIM and that's what the goal of the day was. It was a PR for the distance no matter the time.
2012-07-05 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4296503

User image

Extreme Veteran

sbrdave - 2012-07-05 9:26 PM And on that note, for those of you that this is the first HIM and you just want to finish, here's what I did on the run for mine as we had NO time to acclimate to the heat as it started the week of the race after a cool April and May:

- Walk through the aid station taking in ice (hat), water (and pouring that over me too), and whatever else I needed to help me keep going.

- When ready, jog/run (or walk) to the next aid station and repeat for each one after that.

I would add to this:

Even if you have a great run strategy you will not have a good run if you over-cook the bike!!!  If you have a HR monitor keep an eye on it and don't go over your planned HR limit.  If you're going by RPE the effort should feel pretty relaxed.  Not just cruising along but you should not be putting out a hard effort on the bike.

Trust me, your run will thank you later!

2012-07-05 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4296314

User image

Extreme Veteran

paulzale - 2012-07-05 6:45 PM Thanks for the tips, I'll most likely pull over at least until I understand and see how it all works.

Paul- it's easier than you might think.  I wore a Camelbak for my first HIM because I wasn't familiar with the handoff process, and it wasn't necessary at all.  They usually place the bike aid stations somewhere other than a downhill so you won't be going extremely fast.  Just slow down a bit (i.e. don't go 25mph, but you don't need to slow to 5mph either.)  Chuck your empty bottle right before you get to the volunteers with full bottles.  They will all be in a line with arms outstretched holding the bottles by the top.  You just reach out and snag it right in the middle.  No problemo!

Also- if gatorade and water volunteers are mixed together, shout out which one you want so the opposite volunteer doesn't reach one out to you.

2012-07-06 1:04 AM
in reply to: #4293928

User image

wbattaile - 2012-07-04 12:47 AM

Ok one more directions question here...

From my hotel in Anderson it looks like the fastest route to Prairie Creek is I69 to 67, head East making a couple turns here and there, then right on Gates Rd. to the reservoir.

I am wondering if the somewhat slower route would be better as I should be coming into the transition area from the opposite direction as the majority of the racers (who actually got a hotel in Muncie.)  This would involve driving East on 700, then 35, then left (North) on 540 which appears to be the same as Gates Rd.

Any locals want to weigh in?

Not a local, but last year they were directing traffic coming from the N (Muncie side) to the lots farther out from transition. I came in from the S (took 35 to S 540 E as you suggest) and was directed into the lot next to transition. I don't know about taking 700 instead of 67 to 35. I think it would be faster to take 67 even though it's a longer distance.

edited to fix typo

Edited by gotta run 2012-07-06 1:19 AM
2012-07-06 1:14 AM
in reply to: #4296515

User image

wbattaile - 2012-07-05 10:37 PM

sbrdave - 2012-07-05 9:26 PM And on that note, for those of you that this is the first HIM and you just want to finish, here's what I did on the run for mine as we had NO time to acclimate to the heat as it started the week of the race after a cool April and May:

I would add to this:

Even if you have a great run strategy you will not have a good run if you over-cook the bike!!!  If you have a HR monitor keep an eye on it and don't go over your planned HR limit.  If you're going by RPE the effort should feel pretty relaxed.  Not just cruising along but you should not be putting out a hard effort on the bike.

Totally agree, and it's easy to over-cook the bike on this course because it's so darn fast it's tempting to just hammer it. The run is rolling hills and it will be baking hot, so you'll need your legs to be as fresh as possible. To manage the heat, wear a hat (for shade and to stick ice in), carry a bottle to fill with cold water at aid stations, and use those ice water sponges liberally. Good luck, everyone!

2012-07-06 3:56 AM
in reply to: #4296657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
gotta run - 2012-07-06 2:14 AM

wbattaile - 2012-07-05 10:37 PM

I would add to this:

Totally agree, and it's easy to over-cook the bike on this course because it's so darn fast it's tempting to just hammer it. The run is rolling hills and it will be baking hot, so you'll need your legs to be as fresh as possible. To manage the heat, wear a hat (for shade and to stick ice in), carry a bottle to fill with cold water at aid stations, and use those ice water sponges liberally. Good luck, everyone!

Yeah, thanks for adding the footnotes, folks! I forgot to preface it with not completely hammering on the bike and saving something for the run. Saw a lot of that at Eagleman as the course is pancake flat and kinda did it myself in 09. Most disastrous and painful run I've ever had! Learned from that and had the best race ever in 2011. Passed a LOT of folks on the run that day. You just have to remember to race as you trained and that if you signed up for the triathlon, it's not AquaVelo (though on Sat you may wish that ). You should spin more than mash. If you have cadence, probably 85 rpm. We asked the pro panel about this too and that's where a good number of them spin at. The idea is to not burn your legs up/out and spinning more than mashing here will help to ensure that.

Leaving soon for Muncie! Hopefully, I can post a bit later tonight with a final weather update but I don't think it's going to matter much at this point unless there's more rain or clouds than what's currently forecast. See you on the course and good luck to all! Stay safe above all else.

Edited by sbrdave 2012-07-06 3:57 AM
2012-07-06 7:26 AM

New user
, Indiana
Thanks for all the additional tips, leaving work early to head up to Muncie for packet pickup and meeting at 6 tonight. Indianapolis is forecasting 105 tomorrow, I think Muncie should be a couple of degrees cooler. Normally wear a visor, but also packed a hat and think I'll wear it for the ice trick. I'll back off on the bike, but still think the run is going to suck, but everyone will have to suffer through the heat the same....

2012-07-06 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Heading out the door for Muncie.  Good luck and race safe!
2012-07-06 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!!  I will be there cheering you all on
2012-07-06 1:21 PM

New user
, Indiana
Just saw on the main forum that it has been reduced to an Olympic distance event
2012-07-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4297566

Master
Northern IL

paulzale - 2012-07-06 1:21 PM Just saw on the main forum that it has been reduced to an Olympic distance event

I saw things about that too. Glad I didn't sign up. Hope they get the mess sorted out ok.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10