General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-07-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3457633

New user
, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread
Knowing someone who had heat stroke and never really recovered, I was concerned about the heat, but figured I would manage. I think the liability of those in the later half (myself included) for WTC had to be of great concern. Disappointing, but I think the best call to save some people from themselves. I am heading up to packet pick up in an hour or so, hope they offer a credit toward a future race or something.

2012-07-06 2:15 PM

User image

Bham Area
I am from Alabama.....we live in this weather.....second HIM i have blown money and vacation on this year only to have it shortened...(Nola & now Muncie)Still looking for my first HIM.....very very disappointted....If anyone here hears of the whatever voucher they are offering...let me know here.I thought it was pretty chicken crap to wait until the first meeting to make this call. Everyone just sat there thinking he was joking.......what a waste of money and time....
2012-07-06 3:18 PM

User image

Bham Area
What distances are we doing.....I wasnt listening after he said "modified olympic"
2012-07-06 4:28 PM

I have to say I am a little ticked about this too. I trained my you know what off for this. I didn't do 70+ miles of intervals or run descending 13 mile workouts to race 37.1 miles. We drove from NJ (My wife has family out here so at least we didn't have to pay for a hotel and my son gets time with his cousins) 11+ hours. I could have done Rhode Island 70.3. I could have done a local sprint. I could have done the Philly olympic last weekend. I gave up almost all my other regular tris so far this year to prepare for this race. I understand they are concerned with the heat but give us a choice of what distance we want to do. It's been hot and humid at Eagleman the past three years and I know people who have done it each time. That race hasn't been shortened. I am a bit angry and bummed out. I guess I will just have to take my anger out on the course tomorrow. 

p.s. This is a WTC race, meaning the chance of us getting anything in terms of $$ or credit is going to be very small or very little $$$

2012-07-06 4:42 PM

New user
, Indiana
Heard 1 mile, 30 miles, 10k. I'm sitting waiting for the 6 pm meeting to start. They say mandatory meeting but how do they check and what could they possibly tell me?
2012-07-06 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey I wish you all tomorrow a fun and safe race. While most of you seem very upset you need to realize a few things. It is VOLUNTEERS supporting your race tomorrow, they DO NOT need to be out there. These temps are not even healthy to walk around in. This isn't Ironman so they are doing it out of their our goodness and not to get in line sunday. Secondly how many ER's does the Muncie area have? Imagine doing a full and not having enough resources to take care of everyone! They are still giving you a race, be thankful for that. Muncie is notoriously hot and you all knew this before hand right? Yes this may not be ideal, but WTC is really trying to do the best for each and every one of you all. Thank the volunteers, thank the RD, thank the organizers tomorrow, and most importantly take care of yourself. 

2012-07-06 5:59 PM

New user
, Indiana
I'm more disappointed and understand the "why" and would've thought canceling be appropriate too. I'll be sure to thank plenty tomorrow. It's still gonna be hot as heck and dangerous enough that everyone needs to be smart.
2012-07-06 7:03 PM

User image

Kenton
First HIM, and I am OKAY with the change due to the weather. It is awful out, and some people may not know how to cope. WHat I don't like is the CRUMMY voucher that they gave us. $125.00 off of HIM in August and September. GEE.....thanks? How about something off for next year's event?  BTW: Why can't ANYONE at the convention center give decent directions to the transition area? YEESH, it was bad getting over there. Each road had eight different names...
2012-07-06 8:28 PM

New user
, Indiana
Same here, was going to be my first HIM, it is a crappy discount. Would prefer to sit out and get free entry to Muncie next year.
2012-07-06 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Just like when I did NOLA in April, I am highly upset that I drove all this way, payed all this money, did all that training, for something other than the 70.3 I signed up for. I did 10 mile runs in South GA in 96 degree heat with high humidity getting ready for this race. Non of the "voucher" races work for me. Really bummed right about now. I'm #640 tomorrow and will be dressed like Captain America
2012-07-06 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It is what it is; i'm going to try to take the lemons and make lemonade tomorrow. Still looking forward to racing! Muncie 37.2 here I come!

But first it's time for some sleep.

GOOD LUCK and STAY HYDRATED tomorrow everyone!!!

2012-07-07 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hope all of you guys had a good race! Very bummed on your behalf and think Ironman was wrong to make the decision they did... but it's done, and I do hope the race was a good experience.. can't wait to read some RRs!

2012-07-07 11:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Heading back from Muncie now. It was what it was as far as distance. I get why they did it, but I more so understand people's frustrations, especially those that traveled far and/or were doing their first HIM, or if this was your A race.I raced the distance and raced as hard as I could. I would have liked to keep going, but so be it.Thanks to the volunteers. They kept us cool and were great.Thanks Muncie.
2012-07-07 12:40 PM

User image

Kenton

Finished in 3:28. Great swim and bike, the run was what it was. HOT and lots of walkers. GREAT course management by the Muncie gang, water and ice were everywhere. Bless you if you helped out with the race!

The bike course IS as mentioned: FAST. I couldnt keep up with the fancy bikes, but my old reliable handled the course well.

2012-07-07 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I had an ok day, finished in 3:06, had a blah swim, decent bike, and ok run. After I got back to my friend's house I registered for Rev3 Florida in October. I am also registered for Augusta 70.3, so 2 HIMs in a 4 week period, but at least I will get to do 2 70.3 at that point. I did NOLA in April which also got shortened, so not being able to do the 70.3 today was a bit upsetting. Congrats on all the finishes today despite the circumstance. I'm having dinner and drinks at Scotty's Brewhouse tonight around 6 if anyone wants to join, I'll be wearing a light pink Zoot shirt.
2012-07-07 5:51 PM

I will second making lemonade out of lemons. I trained hard in the heat as alot, no all, but alot of us did. This was to be my second 70.3 but it is what it is. That being said, I was a little disappointed in my swim, BUT, someone with a gps told me it was actually 1.1 m not 1m.

So I decided to see how fast I could go on the bike and not walk the finish. I did the fastest bike I ever have at 21.2 avg, second to 19.8 last month at an olympic. I was pumped, I didnt walk the run and thanked everyone. I was excited to be there and the volunteers were awesome. If anyone saw me I was the one saying "isn't this weather great for December" and singing Christmas songs. I had a blast with many runners and eventhough I am really disappointed, in my heart I know I would have had a great 70.3 and had a great time anyway.

I may register for steelhead or Timberman. Looking to make a long vacation out of it.

2012-07-07 7:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just got home a little while ago.

I have to say a huge THANK YOU!!! to the volunteer that couldn't get the ice to me quick enough at mile 3.5 on the run due to a big crowd of runners.

I didn't stop and figured i'd get some ice at the next aid station.  I'm running along sub 7:00mm pace and next thing I know this guy jogs up next to me with a baggie of ice cubes and says "I haven't missed a handoff yet today and I don't plan on missing any!"  Awesome.

Great support out there on the course today.  Tons of drinks and volunteers on the bike course.  And, what can I say about the run... there were aid stations everywhere.  At least every half mile if not more, and they had icy sponges, ice water, ice cubes, gatorade, and some had pretzels, soda, bananas, and gu.  The sponges and ice were HUGE!!!  Strategically placed icy sponges and ice cubes down the tri shorts and top really saved the day for me.

All in all, I had a good time.  Obviously, like everyone else, I wish it would have been 70.3 miles.  But at the end of the day we can't control the weather and I can understand the liability of putting people out on the course in 105 degree heat for the full 8.5 hour cutoff.  Things could have gotten ugly.  As it was, I still saw one person being removed on a stretcher and the ambulance taking people away from the race site.  Also talked to a guy that was next to me in transition who ended up having to get 3 bags of IV fluids after the race.

2012-07-07 7:49 PM

User image

Indy
I finished in 3:00:xx today with minimal heat related discomfort.  As others have said, the swim was very warm.  The bike course was fast on nice roads for the most part.  My Garmin said 29 miles instead of 30 which gave me a better split time (22 mph).  The run was warm but well supported with great volunteers.  I wasn't expecting the run course to be so hilly.  Overall a positive experience for the situation.

Edited by captpaul 2012-07-07 7:50 PM
2012-07-07 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI

Finished in 3:12 today.  Good swim (28min), decent bike (1:33) and a deliberate slow run (1:01).  I agree that the swim seemed probably a little longer than a mile, I wonder if they even bothered to change it.  The bike felt good and I was able to pace myself at 19mph which is good for me.  It still amazes me to see people on the bike passing me like I'm standing still, very impressive!!  Goal on the run was to not walk and run comfortable which is what it did.  Felt very good after, wished they had a little better food spread though.

I wished it would have been the full race but I'm filing this away as one of those things I have no control over so I'm not going to worry about it.  I'm just happy I'm healthy enough to be out there.  Congrats to all who finished, it was a hot one!!

2012-07-07 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Did anyone else see the drunk guy who walked away from the car crash on 37 just east of 69.  He was walking on the shoulder near the car dealership.  I circled back and told the officers on scene but I don't know if they got him or not.  Hope so........
2012-07-08 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Couple of reflection from my MUncie 37.x experience.  I too like most was pretty upset Friday night and Saturday morning about the change.  WIth my day job being in corporate America, I couldn't help but think of ONE thing aside from all our dissapointments:  PRECEDENT SETTING.  It would seem to me that IRONMAN now just set a precedent on any and all future IM races where the heat/heat index reaches what ever temp was experienced during the race yesterday.  In the briefing, they specifically stated that due to these temps and "FORECASTED" temps/indexes that the race was being shorted for SAFETY.  Looking forward, if IM ever allows a race to go on full distance where the conditions meet or exceed what was recorded in Muncie yesterday and some athlete goes down with serious issues, well then...any attorney worth their salt could be all over that.  Just sayin....

Finally on the corporate front - the discount for the races offered is a great case study on why REV3 will continue to grow - complete disregard on how to serve the customer's best interest on IM's part will allow competitors to jump and seize upon those things if they ever encounter them in the future.  I did REV3 Cedar Point last year and now having personal experience on both brands, REV3 is/will continue to grow as a worthy competitor.  I don't have a dog in either's camp, but that discount disgrace really shows a complete lack of appreciation for the customer.

Moving on,

First - Volunteers where friggin awesome -left a very positive experience of the community support

Muncie was to be my learning race for IMKY which is my goal this year.  By race time, i had let the frustrations go and just enjoyed the race.  I echo what many said about the swim, man that felt long.

If i ever need a ego boost for my spectacular average biking skills I think i will make the road trip to muncie and ride that course.  Optical illusion? Downhill both ways?  I don't know, but that was the fastest 30 miles ive ever clocked.  

FInally, experienced my first hint of dehydration at mile 4.5 on the run.  Weird, all of a sudden i felt my hands nice and cool and DRY - looked down and my entire arms were bone dry and i got a little chilly.  I think i was so busy pouring water on me, i forgot to drink enough of it.  Great learning experience for me even though i had to walk until that big hill just before the finish.

I hope IM reconsiders and offers us the discount for next years, but i can't see that happening as almost everyone would take them up on it and make that a negative profit for IM Muncie next year.  I think / hope i can come back next year to just say i completed it for the entire distance.

On a personal note, I'm more bummed that i have to get about 3 hours training in today to make up for yesterday  was hoping to enjoy a day at the beach and big ole Reeses Blizzard!

2012-07-08 9:07 AM

New user
, Indiana
Anyone know how long it takes the WTC to post results online? I didn't bring my watch to the race, so I only have a guesstimate of my finish time, 3:05-3:15. Just want to know my splits mostly. My navigation on the swim was terrible. No matter how long the swim actually was, I'm sure I added at least 200m! The bike seemed fast even though I didn't push myself too hard so I had something left for the run. I'm guessing my run was around 9m/m and made my goal of no walking. Two guys in the finish chute collapsed after the finish line and I saw another on a stretcher. I finished shortly after 10, so I think the correct decision was made and it would have been a mess if it went the full distance. The administration of the credit just sucks, oh well. Enjoyed the day and taking it easy today, before getting back at it tomorrow. Will look at the other races for the credit to see if any are close enough to drive and on a free weekend for me!
2012-07-08 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4299752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
paulzale - 2012-07-08 10:07 AM

Anyone know how long it takes the WTC to post results online? I didn't bring my watch to the race, so I only have a guesstimate of my finish time, 3:05-3:15. Just want to know my splits mostly. My navigation on the swim was terrible. No matter how long the swim actually was, I'm sure I added at least 200m! The bike seemed fast even though I didn't push myself too hard so I had something left for the run. I'm guessing my run was around 9m/m and made my goal of no walking. Two guys in the finish chute collapsed after the finish line and I saw another on a stretcher. I finished shortly after 10, so I think the correct decision was made and it would have been a mess if it went the full distance. The administration of the credit just sucks, oh well. Enjoyed the day and taking it easy today, before getting back at it tomorrow. Will look at the other races for the credit to see if any are close enough to drive and on a free weekend for me!

Paul, results were up yesterday. Go to ironman.com, look up at the top. There should be top bar with Muncie Reults and Track an athlete there. If not, there's a red Live Race Coverage "button" at the top right. Click on that arrow and the top bar appears with Muncie listed. I just checked and your results are there. The only thing they don't list are your AG places in the individual disciplines. They list your place in your AG after each discipline though, plus transition times are there too.

Congrats on your finish!
2012-07-08 9:32 AM

I have to echo the sentiments of many here with the frustration of the distance being shortened and the haphazard/lame discount offering. On the other hand, when Greg Bennett says in a video that it would have been a tough day for the pros and tougher for the age groupers (the video is on the Muncie Star newspaper web site), perhaps the right decision was made. I have to agree that the swim seemed long and the bike perhaps a bit short but the run was definitely a challenge even at a 10k. My best leg is usually the run and can usually put down a 41 minute 10k in an Olympic triathlon but yesterday I finished that part in over 48 minutes. Perhaps it was hammering it on the bike, which was crazy fast (I averaged 25 MPH!) but I think it was the weather. As soon as I got off the bike, it was brutal, especially with no breeze. Yes, I trained in as much heat and humidity as I could in NJ but training pace and racing pace are two different beasts. I am not a wuss when it comes it racing conditions, having raced a number of times with heat indexes over 100, and certainly would have survived the 70.3 distance but don't think I would have been in too good of shape when it was done. However for the folks that took 4 hours to finish this distance, completing the 70.3 would have been extremely difficult. Thanks to the volunteers out there for handing out everything they did to help us. They were awesome. Just wish the post race food would have featured some cold fruit or ice cream. Somehow pulled pork sandwiches and baked beans weren't going to sit well with me. Congrats to everyone who finished.
2012-07-08 10:38 AM

New user
Indianapolis

I was initially pretty upset about the decision, due in large part to the poor delivery of the bad news by the race director at the 2:00 briefing.  While I'm still very disappointed I didn't get to complete the full 70.3 distance, I do think it was the right decision. The (awesome) volunteers weren't prepared for the heat. There were a BUNCH of first-time triathletes there, and I'm positive some of them weren't even prepared for the 70.3 distance, much less the heat.  ("Running a 5k was your race prep???")  While I'm quite certain my hottest-part-of-the-day training over the past month prepared me for the heat, perhaps it didn't. No race is worth someone's life.

The offer of a discount of for other events is kinda lame, and I won't use it, but I can't identify a more fair alternative for both the participants and WTC.  Having said that, I have no strong desire to enter another Ironman event. I can do a Muncie Multisport event and skip all the event logistics associated with Ironman, such as: meetings the day before race day, no on-site registration, having to get a nearby hotel for the night before, the early opening/closing of transition, the long wait before my swim start, the high expense, etc.  The larger field and the pro athletes was OK, but not a big enough benefit to outweigh the negatives.  The biggest plus for me was there being ice at every aid station. Having ice during the run was awesome.  That alone was worth the higher cost admission.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Muncie : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10