General Discussion Triathlon Talk » White Lake Sprint Triathlon I : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-05-08 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3462299

Veteran
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon I : Official Thread
I am finally home, finished at around 10:40.

My swim was the end of me but I killed the bike and all things considered, the run too. I am slow on the run, but still managed a 44:44. Triathlon PR for me. My swim was WAY too long, but considering I almost bagged it before the first turn because of my asthma, I am happy. My goal was under 2 hours, but I finished at 2:08:30. YAY!!! That's a mighty long swim for little old me.

Good job everyone.

2011-05-08 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Whites Creek, Tennessee
So, did anyone notice the large groups that were drafting out on the bike course? I myself passed about 5-7 different groups that had between 2 and up to 6 people drafting like the Tour de France! I was really, really pissed off about this. Just wondering if it was just me, or if everyone else noticed.
2011-05-08 6:50 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I got passed by many different groups of 3 or more who were in a pack. They were flying!! It doesn't bother me as much because I couldn't keep up anyway. It should be better monitored though. I didn't have my best day but overall I am glad I was there. It's always a learning experience and I learned that I need to train more!!!!
2011-05-08 6:56 PM

Haw River, NC

I noticed it too Andrew. Two people did get time penalties for drafting, but they were hardly the only ones doing it. I'd like to think they just weren't aware of the rule, but there's no way that many people don't know USAT rules.

On a lighter note, I was pleased with my performance today. It was my first openwater swim, so I didn't really have high expectations in the water. My bike was okay, and I was really pleased with my run. I ended up going 1:22:23 for the race. I'll be in New Mexico for the summer and may enter a few races out there. If I'm back in North Carolina this fall, I'm thinking of racing in the White Lake International and the Emerald Isle Triathlon. Maybe I'll see some of ya'll at those races.

-Martin 

2011-05-08 8:17 PM

Veteran
Did anyone else notice the heavy boat exhaust between the two turn buoys. It was almost choking by the time I got there and it almost made me sick in the water. Maybe it's because I have asthma and may be a little more sensitive to that stuff, but seriously, it felt like I was drinking the stuff.

It may have been the earlier groups drafting, I didn't see it when I was out. Give me a couple of my teammates on that bike leg and I lay down a 20 mph avg easy.
2011-05-08 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I did get passed by a couple of pace lines of 3 or 4 riders, but I'm used to that.  It happens at every race, not much you can do.  I'm usually only trying to beat myself so I don't let it bother me.  If I get better on the bike it might bother me more.   I didn't notice the boat exhaust but my wife says that I don't notice most things!  Besides I was too busy swimming back and forth turning the 750m into 1000m.    Bob

Edited by blynott 2011-05-08 8:53 PM

2011-05-08 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats everyone on today's race and double Congrats to Bob for an age group win!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » White Lake Sprint Triathlon I : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3