General Discussion Race Reports! » Hills Club Tri Series #5 - First race post cancer! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hills Club Tri Series #5 - First race post cancer! - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penrith, New South Wales
Australia
Hills Tri Club
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 37s
Overall Rank = 71/92
Age Group = 14-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there very early in some light drizzle. Registered early and racked the bike at the end of the rack half way along for easy spotting. Then back to the car to keep dry.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching, checking and re-checking the gear. Had a bit of an issue with the bike computer cable rubbing on the front tire which I never really sorted.
Swim
  • 20m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well the swim was never going to be a good one when we turned up to 18C water temperatures and the news that wetsuits WERE actually allowed in this race (despite me being advised otherwise by race officials in a previous email ... thanks).

As it was a tri club organised events, the vast majority were tri club members, all wet-suited up and ready to go. In truth, my swimming is so poor it would not have made a huge difference, but the extra warmth and buoyancy boost would have been nice.

The swim was a shocker, cold, zigzagged everywhere, very slow, super glad when it was all over. It was always going to be my worst leg, but today was ridiculous. 3rd last out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

Swimming in a straight line would be nice, but clearly something is very wrong with my technique, at least I have the off season to work on it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

A little slow, but more from the arms not wanting to move after the swim. Orgnised well enough.

Get bike shoes.
Bike
  • 44m 14s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.13 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was the my main worry coming in for two reasons. One was the tendency to over-race and leaving myself nothing for the run, the other is the lack (i.e. none) of training coming in.

The course was a relatively flat 5km loop around the lake done 4 times. The lycra/carbon lads flew past me early, but I soon found a group of 4 riders who sat around 30km/hr for the loop, right in my optimal zone for the day. It was a non-drafting event, so I sat back and paced myself off them.

There were a few points where I had to refrain from pushing, but couldn't help myself near the end of the last lap before slapping myself around and pulling back slightly.

Overall a good ride, the butt cheeks were feeling the pressure of a strange activity, but felt like the pacing was decent for my fitness levels.

For the actual ride, not too much, pre-race, definitely more bike training was needed to maintain a pace a couple of km faster than what I did.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The one advantage of riding in runners, bike racked, helmet off and run. Nice and quick.
Run
  • 24m 48s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 58s  min/km
Comments:

The usual tree trunk legs set in at the start as to be expected, but not as bad as expected considering the lack of recent riding. Talked myself into taking the first 3km a little easier to save for a big run home.

Couldn't really find a pacer through the run but took over a few of the struggling runners. Had one runner follow me almost the whole run who took over me around the 3.5km mark which was just short of where I wanted to start pushing.

Took that spot back quickly and chased down a couple of others in my age group on the stretch home which took the rest of the juice left. All in all not a bad run, and saving and sprinting certainly is more enjoyable than the other way around.

Ended up break the 5min/km mark for the first time over that distance since starting up again, so happy with that.

Some more pacing work, but all in all not too much.
Post race
Warm down:

A chat with an old Uni mate who came down to watch, a sausage sandwich and water. No stretching to speak of, but gees that sandwich tasted good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The inability to swim straight and the lack of bike training coming into the race. Mainly the swim though.

Event comments:

The race was well organised. Being a club event, probably not as friendly as other more public events I have done in other sports, but pleasant enough.

Mighty please I got through my first triathlon after cancer, and longer than the first I did 6 years ago as well. Cancer shmancer ... it won't stop me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:34 | 750 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 89/92
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: A straight fresh water 750m swim along the rowing regatta centre lake used for the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:14 | 20 kms | 27.13 km/hr
Overall: 52/92
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A 5km loop around the regatta lake. Mainly flat and fast, nicely paved roads, a nice little course for all types of triathletes.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:48 | 05 kms | 04m 58s  min/km
Overall: 45/92
Performance: Good
Course: A flat out and back 2.5km run along the side of the lake done twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-25 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: Hills Club Tri Series #5 - First race post cancer!

2011-04-25 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3465344

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: RE: Hills Club Tri Series #5 - First race post cancer!
Awesome - congrats!! 
2011-04-25 7:27 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Well done  Sighting in OWS is a tricky thing, isn't it? 

Congrats on the come back!

2011-04-25 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Thanks Judi and Crystal! ... oh and Crystal, it has been decades since I have heard "dork", thanks for the reminder of a great word
2011-04-26 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA

Very impressive results Adam...congratulations!  I'm so happy that all things considered, you had an awesome race.  Just think of what you will accomplish next season!

Enjoy your off season  Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hills Club Tri Series #5 - First race post cancer! Rss Feed