General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = 713/2199
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 109/255
Pre-race routine:

Got up 3 hours before race time. Drank 4 scoops perpetuem in 20 oz water and ate banana. Got gear on. Set up transition. Went back to htel room to chill out and wait for wave start. Was having some GI issues (maybe nerves) took 2 Immodium AD caplets. No GI issues during or after race.
Event warmup:

Stretched in hotel room.
Swim
  • 36m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim a HIM PR by 1:00. Previous PR was in a calm lake but with no wetsuit. This race I had farmer john wetsuit but some serious chop and some current. Did well navigation wise. Had the beginning of a hamstring cramp but it went away. Watch band came undone from the strep catch twice…I’ll duct tape it next time. Could have probably gone faster by a minute or maybe two, but I was just trying to conserve energy and stay aerobic and comfortable. Overall, hard to have any problem with the swim. Had some calf and hammy cramping when the wetsuit strippers tried to get my suit off. Stretched it out and then I was good from then on.
What would you do differently?:

Waybe warm up hammys and calves a bit more and stretch them to prevent cramping. Keep legs more relaxed to prevent cramping. Duct Tape watch band.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

#1 T1 time was 1:46, AG winner was at 2:32. Would have been a lot faster if I had not stopped to work out my cramping. Found bike easily, and once I got to my bike I was smooth and fast. Still moved up 7 spots during transition.

Forgot the body glide ont he inside/ankles of wetsuit to help strippers get it off me. This caused some cramping issues because I had to point my toes so strong and hard to get the wet suit off. Cost me some time in transition.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I had two flats within the first 5 miles of the bike (costing me over 31 minutes), the second a direct result of not properly removing the offending glass the first time. Once you factor both flats out, my actual time on bike was 2:55:39 and pace was 19.1 mph, better than my 3hr/18.6 mph goal. That time would have ranked me 123/255 AG and I would have been in 107th place (only dropping 38 spots). Tried to keep heart rate at 147-150 most once tire was fixed for good. Felt strong, no cramping or burning at all.

Learn how to change my tires faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

#1 T2 time was 1:03. Lost about 10 seconds because I had to run back to my spot to drop off my Gu bottle I use during the bike leg that was in the back of my jersey. Otherwise smooth; got on dry socks that some people might forego, but I like then in anything longer than a 5K run leg.

Make sure I chekced my pockets before leaving bike.
Run
  • 1h 40m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Best HIM run off bike ever by more than 21 minutes. Splits were: 1) 7:06/mi, 2) 7:55/mi, 3) 7:58/mi, 4) 7:43/mi. Started out fast, quads above knees started cramping at first rest stop/walk. Drank flask of pickle juice and started hydrating with Gatorade and saltstick caps. Using iced sponges helped bring core temp and HR down. Heart rate was in 160s to 170s (up to 179 during final kick). Finished with a strong kick over last mile or so being paced by someone else. Passed her and a number of age groupers right before the finish, although one passed me back in final sprint as I misjudged the distance to the finish (first time ever!).

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Recoverite. Pizza. Banana. Water. Massage. Stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

2 bike flats.

Event comments:

Remember to think about what to do before race while waiting for wave to start. Warmup/bathroom, etc.

Overall, my greatest athletic performance and a HIM PR by 23 minutes once the bike flats are accounted for. PR swim and PR run. Held back a bit from my previous HIM bike pace to save something for the run, so although my bike was 8 minutes slower than my HIM bike PR (once flats were accounted for) my run was 33 minutes faster than that same race (a net 25 minute improvement!). Need to work on tire changing skills, especially with ZIPPS.

Last updated: 2011-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:35 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 76/255
Overall: 524/2199
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Farmer John
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:27:03 | 56 miles | 16.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 198/255
Overall: 0/2199
Gradually worked up into zone 2 and then into zone 3. Tried to keep heart rate at 147-150 most once tire was fixed for good.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Simple out and back with cross/headwind on first half, tailwind on second half.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:40:38 | 13.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/255
Overall: 0/2199
Heart rate was in 160s to 170s (up to 179 during final kick). Splits were: 1) 7:06/mi, 2) 7:55/mi, 3) 7:58/mi, 4) 7:43/mi.
Course: Flat 4 loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes