Eagle Cycling Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 24m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

As part of my goals for this year, I wanted to do one organized longer ride. I chose the Tour of Napa Valley. With only two rides over 30 miles, choosing the 66 mile option was probably not such a great idea - but, well, you only live once.

I went up to madkat's place Saturday night. She has about the same mileage under her belt as I do this year, but since she is not insane she was just going for a regular 30 mile ride. I tried talking her into the 66 mile Tour of Napa, so I would not be alone with my delusions of grandeur, but she stood firm. However, she cooked a great carb loading pasta dinner, during which I made a total pig of myself, and even finished it off with ice cream - what else could you possibly ask for? She would not even let me help with the dishes.
Bike
  • 5h 24m
  • 55 miles
  • 10.19 mile/hr
Comments:

7:45 am - Arrive at the race site. It is cold, and overcast. I am just really glad that brought my armwarmers as it is very chilly. Fill up sports drink bottle, sunscreen, pack 500+1 VIP items into my camelback and I am ready to go to registration.

7:50 am - Arrive at registration. I receive a wrist bracelet to identify me as a rider, but apparently am extremely challenged as I cannot get it on. Very Nice Reg Guy takes off the sticky thing, puts it on my wrist, and recommends coffee.

8:00-8:15 - Eat a lot of breakfast food. A Bagel, assorted fruit and other goodies. Tables full. I had a good time. At 8:30 I leave on the ride. My mantra for today is "You are on a TOUR! This is not a race!" I figure this is the only way to survive as I am doing this ride on what is, admittedly, not enough preparation. Everybody starts passing me. This becomes a common event. I, apparently, am the slowest bike rider on this ride. There are mountain bikes on this road ride, and yeah, they pass me too. However, the guy pulling a trailer WAS a little bit much.

Time 0:45 - Feeling good I pull into the first rest stop at mile 10. So far everything feels ok, and I am going a little faster than I thought it would. It is still cool and overcast. Enjoy the homemade cookies, and grab some fig newtons. The road has been mostly flat till now, but we are now moving into the hills. Hit the first climb, just spin up it slowly while bikers roll by me like I'm standing still. Check my speed, and I'm going 4mph - I don't care, I am having fun. Make it to the top without having to stop and feeling pretty good. We are traveling by Lake Hennesey, and I stop and take a pic. (Pic 1)

Next up is a section of rolling hills, which I'm going through about 16 mph. The uphills are short enough that I can just roll through them while using the downhills to pick up speed. Not so many people pass me on this section. Then we turn onto Pope Valley, which starts off flat, but then starts climbing. It's not too bad though, and I just stay seated and spin through it. Oh wait - that wasn't the top - now there's a whole nother hill. I stop and rest a couple of times, catch my breath, and take off my arm warmers as it's starting to get warm. People ask me if I'm ok - and yes I am. I pass a few people with flats, but I have paid off the bike karma gods with major flat issues in June, so I am flat free for the whole ride. Finally, hit the top of the Pope Valley climb and now comes the fun part. DOWNHILL!!! I hit 37 mph going down this road. It is very rough in spots, so getting shaken all around on the bike. A couple of faster girls pass me, get in front of me and then slow down - I'm going 30 mph at the moment, and sorry, but I'm taking all the free speed I can get. Either move it, or I'm going to breathe on your neck. They start picking it up a bit and I stick with them all the way down the rest of the hill. I'm enjoying the draft, and also pushing hard on the flats to keep up. When we finally get to the bottom, I can feel it in my quads - uh oh, maybe I had a little too much fun there. Stop at Pope Valley Grocercy and refill the sports drink. Now the road goes up and down, and I'm on my way to lunch. I'm feeling tired after pushing hard. Pass Ink Grade Road on the way to lunch.

Time on ride 2:30 - Watch Time 12:00. Mile 32. I am half-way done. Hmmm... my GPS says I've only gone 24 miles. I think it lost me there on the screaming downhills. Decide I REALLY need a bike computer. Enjoy lunch with lots of salt on everything. Watermelon, sandwiches, boiled eggs, but the boiled potatoes were the best. (Pic 2 and the pic of me - gotta have at LEAST one of those.) I've never seen so many jerseys which are specific to various rides. I decide one day I'm doing the Horrible Hilly Two Hundred just to get the jersey which has a skull with red, glowing eyes prominently displayed. Of course the guy wearing it is uber-cyclist but what does that matter? Q: What is with the guys with the toothpaste mint green Bianchi bikes also having mint green jerseys and helmets? I noticed cause it was more than one guy/gal and that is one UGLY color.

Note: Any road with the word "Grade" in it is going to be one Really Hard Climb.
Ink Grade - 4 miles, straight up. This is where I essentially bite the dust on this ride. The first 1/2 of the climb goes ok. It is steep, but I'm managing it. I rest a couple of times, but can still get back on and ride. I walk a bit, but nothing major. I even pass someone. She is also not a svelte cyclist, and she passed me on the road quite a bit earlier (Note: Bianchi Rider) however, she is thinner than I am, so I feel pretty good as I move up the hill. Everyone is still blowing by me, only now they're saying "You're looking good" "Keep it up" "Good Job" - So, although I appreciate it, I know I am probably not looking so great. The GPS lost the signal somewhere on this hell hill - but luckily (or unluckily) the stopwatch is still working.

About 3/4 (maybe?) I just can't keep going. It's too steep, and my legs are burnt. I start walking, but I ask how much farther. 1/2 a mile they say - this was a lie, but I don't know if they're just hopeful or if they really don't know. I see the SAG wagon pass (shoulda thrown myself in front of it - cause I could've really used a ride to the top) and notice the Bianchi bike is on the back. Well, anyway, I am getting there under my own power, even if it's on foot - so feel righteous for a while cause Bianchi girl didn't make it.

Keep walking, walking, walking, walking. Drink water, walk, drink sports drink, walk. Get on bike, pedal for 100 yards, walk. Walk. Walk some more. After 1:26, I have finally made it to the end of Ink Grade, and hallelujah, there's a water stop. Refill everything, the volunteer soaks me with the hose (yeah, I asked her to) and I'm ready for the downhill.

After a few ups and downs, the road starts heading down. This is the major downhill. We turn onto Deer Park Road. The pavement is very smooth and everyone is going scary fast. The fastest I've ever gone downhill is 48 mph, and I know I beat that. I had a death grip on the drop bars, and a little voice (which I tried to ignore) which kept whispering "What if you get a flat?" That was more of an adrenaline rush than any rollercoaster I've ever been on.

Hit the next flat section, and stop to catch my breath and shake out my hands. The road is rolling again, and usually something I could ride with no problems but my legs are toasted, so everything assumes the proportions of Mt. Everest. Finally hit the Silverado Trail (last pic) home stretch. I am sore and very tired at this point. The next rest stop is only 2 miles down the road but it seems like 20. Finally, I'm there and get off the bike. I've been riding for about 5:15. I find out it's only 12 more miles, and I want to finish the whole ride - so I climb back on and start down the road. Within a mile, I know I've made the wrong decision. Turned around, went back to the rest area, called it a day and got a ride back. I felt all emotional, and like I was failing, but I knew it was the right decision. This ride was above my training level both in difficulty and in length, and Ink Grade killed me. I needed to call it quits.

Total Time: 5:24 Total distance (estimated) 55 miles. Time of day when I got to my car: 4:45.
What would you do differently?:

Uhh... actually train enough to do something like this? Lose weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up - drove the car up to the top, ate BBQ, and headed home

Event comments:

For my first organized bike tour, this was stellar. Well supported, well mapped. And, did I mention the scenery??

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-22 12:00 AM
Biking
05:24:00 | 55 miles | 10.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I made it 55 miles - so pace is based on that.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-22 12:10 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Tour of Napa Valley

2005-08-22 3:02 AM
in reply to: #230231

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tour of Napa Valley
Wow, Shellee!! You did absolutely awesome! And what a great race report - I really enjoyed reading it. And the pictures - what a wonderful setting for a ride!

Congratulations on putting a goal out there for yourself that really made you reach new heights! Not too many people will push their confort zone like you did.

You ROCKED!!!!!!!!
2005-08-22 6:48 AM
in reply to: #230244

Champion
You did great Shellee. Lots better than I think you expected. 65 hilly miles is a big jump to make all at once, so there is nothing wrong with calling at a day at 55. I admire your determination to try this event...a lot of other people would have thought about it, and then stayed home to watch TV instead. But you were out there, giving it your best effort. You can't ask for more than that.

Keep on doing it! Nice pictures too!

2005-08-22 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Shellee, way to go!  That combination of hills AND such a long distance- you did awesome. 
2005-08-22 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am in awe!!  You did fantastic!  I would have never even thought about making those hills!!  I hope you are so proud, because you should be!!
2005-08-22 9:48 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse

Well, I think you were able to hit your goals: you did more than you thought you could, you hit a personal goal, and, MOST importantly, you stayed positive and had a good time!

Isn't it so much better to do something you thought you could do rather than something you knew you could do?

2005-08-22 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

37 mph downhill....WHEEEEEE! 

Sounds like you had a great ride.  I love organized bike tours.  Your report was so well written, do you write for a living?

Don't feel bad about stopping a little early, there is a lot of wisdom in knowing when you've bitten off a little too much. Besides, 55 miles in those hills is nothing to sneeze at!

2005-08-22 10:47 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Awesome! I, too, just dread hearing the wordk "grade" referring to any portion of a bike ride.  I am neither physically nor emotionally strong enough for hills, yet.  I am working on it, but if you look at my last weekend ride report you'll see that the most impressive thing for me was, "I didn't cry on the hills."

I've heard about Ink Grade.  In my book, you are uber for even attempting it! 

And, there's always room for ice cream. 

2005-08-23 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like you had a good time, which is the primary goal in such things..it fools us into thinking we're sane.

Good job!
2005-08-23 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Nice job Shellee!  Wow... good for you!  And it looks like you had a great view (nice pics)!  I'm happy that you set this goal for yourself, and you went out and did it!!!  That is awesome!!!
2005-08-23 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Great job! You should be proud of your accomplishments here. You weren't sure you were even going to try it two weeks ago. Getting 55 miles is 25 miles further than I've ever gone. I'm totally impressed!!!

2005-08-23 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You did awesome and had such a positive attitude...please share it (positive thinking) with me!!

The pictures are beautiful.....I imagine in my mind a wonderful ride. Too bad some of us BTers can't do some of these fun rides.

You were flying down that hill....very fun isn't it!!

Get a Astrelye bike computer...about $25...you'll love it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour of Napa Valley Rss Feed