Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cambridge area anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-11 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4305412

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Cambridge area anyone?

How is Shades Mill compared to Guelph Lake?  It would be much closer for me but it never even occurred to me to try swimming out there.

Is swimming in the Twin Ponds allowed these days?  We use to sneak in there as teenagers for swimming and diving off the cliffs but if I remember there was always a threat of getting ticketed....of course that was 15 years ago.

2012-07-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4306346

User image

Cambridge, Ontario

since guelph lake is man-made, it's a little neater around the edges than shade's mill, but the latter has a lovely beach area and is large enough to get good, long stretches in without having to do dozens of laps and there is absolutely zero motorized traffic in the water. the beach is seldom busy, too - it seems that not many people know about this little gem, and tend to head to pinehurst instead. i wouldn't recommend swimming at pinehurst, by the way - too many annoying children and incompetent paddlers.

having only moved to cambridge in 2003 (i grew up in mississauga), i'm not sure what you refer to as the twin ponds. 

cheers!

-mistress k

2012-07-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3467883

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Thanks for the suggestions!  I have vacation time coming up in two weeks... i think i'll try to head out to Shade's.
2012-07-16 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4307450

User image

New user

I took in a swim at shade's mill on the weekend, thanks for the suggestion it is a great place to swim.  

I do prefer Guelph Lake as it is a little deeper, bigger so not as much vegetation to deal with but I figure there is a good mile loop around the island at shades...just need to do some more exploring to find the ideal path.

I completely agree about Pinehurst...it is a little small and weedy for my tastes.

As for the Twin Ponds I am pretty sure they are the same quarry ponds you were referring to...they are just outside of Cambridge off Hwy 24 going to Guelph.

Thanks again for the suggestion!  Cheers and happy racing.

Mark

2012-07-17 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4313504

User image

Cambridge, Ontario

glad you enjoyed your swim!

the quarry ponds at puslinch tract are in between the (now closed/torn down) 401 service centre and lake road/con 2 in puslinch; you access the area from either lake rd or from wellington county rd 32 by the fish & chips shop. they're in the middle of all the multi-use & mountain bike trails there - probably not the same ones if the twin ponds are off 24 heading guelphwards.

cheers!

-mistress k

2012-09-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3467883

Just outside of Cambridge.

Nice to see so many people around the area.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cambridge area anyone? Rss Feed  

of 2