View Member's Race Log View other race reports
austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 1h 02m 44s
Overall Rank = 5/210
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Later race start than usual so actually slept in a little. Ate my usual breakfast and could actually stop at Starbucks before race. Got to the race early and began the usual setup.
Event warmup:

Went for my usual warmup run and warmup swims. I didn't feel great in my warmup run and it was a sign of things to come.
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wind was blowing so it was a little choppy heading out. There was absolutely nothing to site on the way back in and I had nobody in front of me so I didn't swim a very straight line.

The timing mat was up by transition so this time isn't really my pace as the timing mat was 150 yards up the hill.

Really not a good swim as I just couldn't get into a rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

This isn't totally right because it does not include the run from water to transition. I'm suprprised this is in line with most everyone else because I did have to take of my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 33m 22s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I just could not get going on the bike. I knew this would not be my best race. I passed Dustin in the first 2 miles and then Stephan Lips passed me at about mile 4. I just felt like my legs were completely dead and I could not get going. My bike split was about 1.5 mins slower than those that finished ahead of me.

Had I had anything in my legs I would've finished 2nd or 3rd overall but it was just one of those days where I didn't have it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

I'm surprised this is this fast because it may be the fastest T2 and I had to go back to get my shoe. As I hopped off my bike my shoe came out of the peddle and I had to stand my bike up and go back to pick up my shoe. I figured it's technically the right thing to do because I can't leave the shoe at the dismount and they could have penalized me if I did. I figure that cost me ~10 seconds in T2.
Run
  • 19m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was a complete struggle to hold my pace and I felt MUCH worse than I did last weekend. I was picking up some ground on Stephan but I just wasn't able to really push the pace.

I hate running on these grassy/sandy courses because they just slow you down. I prefer to run on concrete. Once I knew I wouldn't catch anyone I just kind of cruised it in.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This just wasn't a good race for me. I honestly don't feel like I peformed well in any of the disciplines. Swim felt like crap and sighting was horrible, bike just wouldn't get going, and my run legs just had nothing.

Oh well, I'll just keep racing as much as possible this year!

Last updated: 2011-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 547 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/210
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: