General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/31
Pre-race routine:

This race was was dominated by the friendly bet with Slayer. I got a 5 min. handy cap. Loser buys beer and donates $20 to the organ donation fund. As the first race of the year, I normally just do Tanner to get back in the flow without care. I decided to care this year.

Woke up at 3:30 AM. Not good. Everything was packed and I headed out at 5 AM. I picked up a buddy and Chris (alltom1). We got to the park at 6:30 sharp and the place was full. Lots of pre-race energy. I ran into people all over the place. Since I have never met Slayer, I was wondering how I was going to find him before the race. I looked up and he was parked on the other side of my car! Really nice to meet him. Slayer is a good man. I love his energy and swagger. I could use a little more of what he got...
Event warmup:

Setup transition which seems to get more and more simple with every Sprint race. The guy across for me was setting up to moving in and live in his transition area. i had to tell him to move some stuff out in order to get my bike in and have a little room for my transition mat. LOL I did not bring rubber bands again (sitting on the island at home), so I could not do the shoes in the clips. My bike was a fair distance from the bike entrance. I was a little disappointed in myself.

Swam out the far marker and back. I froze waiting for the race to start. I was shivering uncontrollably. I did figure out my leaking goggle issue from last year. I had pulled my cap down to far and an edge of the goggle was not sealing. I love those moments when you realize something that should be obvious! How many years have I been swimming?
Swim
  • 11m 31s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a good at OWS. I am putting it in writing. Pool, yes, OWS, average at best. I can't seem to find the zen. I lost all confidence within 50 yards and started to fall behind the leaders. I almost stopped (like the last 2 years). I focused and kept going. The sun was very bright at the end. I lost some time trying to get out. I misjudged it and was still in too deep of water, so I had to swim a few more strokes and get out. I ran like a bat out of hell to T1.
What would you do differently?:

It seems at least the first race of every year is rough. I have been slacking on the swimming this year and it showed up. I need to not take it for granted as a OLY distance swim is going to show the "emperor has no clothes".
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

3rd fastest in AG and 4th fastest in the 40s. Transitions continue to be a strength, which is funny because I have NEVER practiced them. I forgot my rubber bands so I did not mount my shoes. Since I was middle rack, I was slow getting out to the bike mount.

I could have taken 10 second or more off with shoes mounted on the bike. I am going to buy a package of rubber bands and put them in my race bag!
Bike
  • 40m 32s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so pumped up over rockin the bike to hold off Slayer that I over cooked the bike. I was making good time until mile 8. The legs revolted up a hill and I was not so good for the last 5. I still was moving, but I hit some hills and slowed down way too much. I yo-yo'ed with some guys, but generally was on my own.

This average was slower than last year. While the course was a little different I did not find it much different. So, i am a little frustrated with my bike split.

I was missing that snap in the legs. I simply had no high end. My training has lacked consistent interval work or hill repeats. I have to put a priority into doing them in the next block of work.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I was 5th in the AG and I did not take my feet out of the shoes! If would have pulled the feet out, I would have been the fastest. I left them in because I felt I would lose time on the road into the park by slowing down and pulling them.

Otherwise, I got the bike shoes off, run shoes on, then ran with my hat and number belt. It was very smooth given the time off and no practice.

I need to practice getting my feet out of the shoes while still on the bike. If i can get that down without slowing down, I can lower my T2 times. There is not excuse for not doing it.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a weird run. I basically ran 8 min pace for the first mile, 8:20 for the hilly second mile. I tried like hell to pick it up. Focused on form and picked someone out ahead and the legs simply would not give me more speed. Now for the funny part. I am headed back in and down the last hill before the climb up the dirt road. I hear this loud voice ahead. As I reach the bottom, I realize it is Slayer yelling at me...."I am coming for you...I own you..." This was not just a passing comment, but loud yelling. BAM! I picked it up and really made it hurt from that point forward. I found a little speed on the final stretch up to the line.

I finished and did not feel bad. I could have held the pace for much longer. I think the increase volume in the last 4 months has built some endurance, just not speed.

Lots of volume and no consistent LT or speed work. Like the other two, I need to get some serious LT work in and run more hills. I have to dump my Valley Rd. 7 miler.

Also, i was able to pick it up when Slayer shamed me. Am I weak mentally when it comes to running? I think there is a factor in there. I need to spend some time on the mental side.
Post race
Warm down:

I did not feel bad when I was done. I hung out with ATC people and a few other friends. I stayed close to the line because I knew Slayer beat me, but I was hoping it would be close. I started to get hopeful as I waited, but I spotted him started up the hill to the line and it was over. I gave him a high 5 on the way to the line.

Slayer was very good about the bet. It was fun to create a little motivation for the race and make it more interesting. He did a great race and earned the win. I owe him for kick starting the season and pushing me more than I would have otherwise done.

Event comments:

Love Tanner...great kick in the head to start the season. it will tell you your weak spots. I am not completely surprised my my performance. I have been in base mode for an extended time and with little intensity, I knew I would be some what flat. I was hoping I could dig a little deeper, but it was not there.

Spending the day with Chris (alltom1) made me realize what a great friend I have in him. One of the best things about tri has been the new friends I have made along the way.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:31 | 656 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/31
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:32 | 13.8 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/31
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:29 | 03.1 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/31
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2011-05-01 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3476125

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

Cap'n, you did great! Especially on the run! No need to beat yourself up or question your training. I think your training has been spot on and it showed during the race! Not being overly tired at the end, despite cranking it up attests to the fact.

The OWS with a bunch of yahoos punching and kicking is not easy...I don't know that many ppl ever get used to that.

I think you did a great job!

2011-05-01 8:38 PM

Veteran
Nice effort Captin...you really hung in there on the run! 
2011-05-01 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good job on the race! Sorry you didn't have the time you wanted...

Wish I woulda seen you beforehand... I brought a rubber band ball!

Losing the bet will just give you something to shoot for next time!

2011-05-02 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3476607

User image

Master

D00d is right about those other yahoos.  It is hard to get around them sometimes.

Your T-times were solid, 20+ mph is a solid bike split and you hung in there on the run.  Positive race in all respects!  Way to go!

I am never going to be coordinated enough to flying mount or dismount.  If you can transition right at or less than 1 minute both times without it, why risk a yard sale?

2011-05-02 2:54 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Thanks for being classy. And don't be so tough on yourself. I am just a different bird on race day. Perhaps we can do it again sometime and use the time apart as the next bet for your charity?

2011-05-06 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Cap'n had a sub 8 run split, sweet!  love the hurt locker pics too.

The Tanner swim start.... well I hate that one, too much adrenaline, first race of the season, quick right followed by the 1st bouy on the left = way too much bunching, punching and kicking for my taste. 

Wished I could have mixed it up with you guys this year.  See ya on course later this year though!!!!

Good start to the season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed