United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 14m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Had a bowl of oats with half banana about 2 hours prior.
Event warmup:

None, other than walking around to keep warm.
Run
  • 2h 14m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The knee was somewhat sore the first couple of miles, but then eased up. It was stiff afterward, but that is "normal" recently. I pushed somewhat so my finish time was a little disappointing. This was slower than Rock the Parkway when I had no time goal!

Did pick off a few key individuals. It was a super small race (about 70 participants) so I was either by myself or with only 1 or 2 runners in sight for most of the race. I picked off one lady at about 4 miles, and then there were 3 people in front of me (in my sight) at the half. I first (finally!) got the Gallowalker but dang she was tough! Then at the last aid station (a little over a mile out) I got the woman and man in front of me. I did kick it up for that last mile but not too much left in the tank after the hills.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I think I have lost quite a bit of endurance and speed. I need to get my long runs beyond 13 miles because this is the most I have run (although due to injury) in 2011. Need to slowly build the mileage back up. Nothing else can prepare for the hills, despite the fact that I run in a hilly area.

Oh - I forgot about the nutrition! I had a pineapple Gu roctane and then brought honey stinger chews. Even though I was not "racing", I still cannot adequately chew the stingers on the run. I have to reserve them for training only.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little and stretched lightly. Probably not enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still coming back from injury; knee still not 100%, HILLS!

Event comments:

I would not do this race again. Small finisher's medal and no age group medals. Only some fruit and a few bags of chips at the end. There was a "prize table" so I got to choose a Royal's hat and a candle. I guess I should not complain. Biggest bummer was the hills.

Last updated: 2011-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Not to be picky (when I was slow but shooting for a 2:08) but my Garmin registered 2:13:50 instead of 2:14. Best mile was last at 9:37.
Course: Oh my gosh, this is the hilliest course I can remember! You started out right away with a huge 160+ foot climb. Total uphill equaled 3.71 miles. It was insane. Quickly (by mile 4 or so) I realized I was not going to hit my goal time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes