General Discussion Race Reports! » Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 17m 25s
Overall Rank = 35/269
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am; had half a clif bar for breakfast then drove to the event about 30 minutes away. Had a Gatorade G1 about 20 minutes before start of swim.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 06m 6s
  • 274 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought the swim was going to be a fiasco with people swimming BOTH directions in the same lanes but it wasn't too bad. I had to let 1 person pass me at a wall after 1 lap and then I was pretty much alone the rest of the swim. I need to remember to try and keep my form since all the race excitement got to me and I don't think I focused on my pull and keeping my body balanced. Still my fastest pace I've ever swam at a tri and starting to get close to my goal of being 'average' in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Focus on form and concentrate better. Continue to consistently swim 3-4x/week and see some improvements.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I got through T1 ok. I made 2 mistakes - first one was to not unclip my racebelt earlier so I had to unclip it before clipping it back on, and the 2nd one was leaving my helmet upside down so it collected water. I also had issues getting it over my ears smoothly. Had about 10-15 seconds of opportunity for improvement. First time I had a rainy T1.

See above
Bike
  • 42m 1s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a story for the ages. Strong crosswinds, rain, wet roads, and then having to go through the country road section after a storm with all sort of debris, mud, and gravel on the road just took a lot of the aggression from me the first 6 miles. I also made the mistake of leaving my Zipp 808 wheels on, and at the very least, should've gone down to a 404 front. The conditions completely neutralized my strongest event as this was also probably only the 2nd time I've ever ridden in the rain/wet roads ever and first time on my TT bike. All I was thinking about the first few miles was to keep both hands on the horns and take it very gingerly through the corners. It was so dicey on the country roads that I couldn't stay in aero very long as a gust would hit and I'd move at least one hand to the horns.

Have more experience riding in the rain and at the very least, I should've had something less deep on the front than my 808. I can handle the winds/gusts on a dry road, but not those kind of winds in the wet given all the other stuff on the road. I also need to learn how to go harder in the shorter distance. It seems my pacing gets used to longer distances (like 40km or more) that I'm not as good pushing it hard over 13 miles. I'll focus on that in my next few short rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Well, this was probably my worst T2 ever. First of all, with the cold conditions, my feet were numb when I got off the bike. That was a new feeling for me. Secondly, I learned that my Saucony Mirage shoes don't work so well as a triathlon shoe in the wet. The insole sits on top of a very smooth rubber surface, which grips well when dry. When wet - it slides and the whole insole is so thin that it just folds up and bunches in the front. It took me 3 tries to get it on without bunching - I even gave up and sat on my rear end fiddling with it.

Use another pair of shoes - something that works better in T2 in wet conditions.
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably the highlight of this race for me. That's my fastest run pace ever, including 3 tris with shorter runs last year. I started off with some crazy cadence (96) - my legs just wanted to keep running and I probably should've opened up my stride more. My pacing was good though I ended up with side stitches the last 1.5 miles. This was my 2nd tri where I ran better overall than my bike! The cool weather also helped but I think all the run training I've been doing is starting to pay off. I also think I need to learn to push harder on the bike and will work on that over the next couple of weeks.

Probably could've pushed a little bit harder sooner and gone below 7:00 pace for about 1.5 miles instead of just last 0.5 miles. Probably had another 15-30 seconds in me without too much more effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Just had my recovery shake and then they let us take the bike out of transition quickly as another wave of rain/storms was coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and road conditions. I feel that I easily left 5 minutes on the bike if conditions were better. The bike is my strongest event and the conditions somewhat neutralized it. Probably could've finished 1-2 places higher in AG.

Event comments:

Except for the crazy weather, this race would've been great. They were able to manage the time trial starts in the pool very well and I was surprised that I didn't run into too many people. 1 person passed me and no one around me the rest of the swim. With the rain, perhaps it would've been better to plan for a 2-loop bike route that ommitted the rough country roads. Worrying about debris, loose gravel, mud, etc. was just a bit tough. There were a lot of crashes and a lot of DNFs for this race.

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:06 | 274 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/29
Overall: 117/269
Performance: Average
Suit: sugoi tri jersey, Hammer tri shorts
Course: snake swim in a 25yd pool - 6 laps (both directions in one lane)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:42:01 | 13 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 41/269
Performance: Below average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82799936
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Bike course was a loop, with some sections in roughly paved country roads. With the rain and the winds, it made for the riskiest conditions I've ever ridden in. There were sections were the leaves covered the road, with some loose gravel, potholes, uneven pavement, and mud thrown in. Add the 20+ mph winds and the strong gusts and it was a tough course. Also included a railroad crossing. There was a nice section of well paved roads but unfortunately, it was less than half the course.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 81
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:16 | 03.6 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 29/269
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/82799949
Course: Hilly loop around McKinney, especially first half.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes