General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-02 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Subject: Cold Water Swim

I have a cold water swim in a Lake in New Jersey this Saturday. It's actually the Jerseyman Open Water Swim. It's not a tri, its just the swim. They have lifeguards all stationed and they will also have coaches to help out with the event. I have a history of panic in OWS and I wanted to use this event to work on that before my tri season starts. I have a full and sleevless wet suit and I planned on using the full one this weekend.

However I expect the water temp to be extreamly cold and while I am not afraid of the cold being an advid skiier I think in my mind that the cold water will kind of freak me out. Does anyone have experiance with cold water swims that can chime in here? Should I be wearing any other equipment in this swim. Like a hood or gloves?

Here I am trying to work on my confidence in OWS and now all I am thinking about this week is how damn cold the water willl be. I am asuming it should be mid to low 50's ?? But that is just a guess. Any thoughts? Thanks

2011-05-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3477307

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Cold Water Swim

I would suspect you could google the probable water temp up at the park or email the director/organizer and ask.

I usually start in Boston swimming at about 50-55 degree water.

If you have very low body fat and get cold very easy you will probably want booties and a head cover and maybe gloves, to be safe.

I swim with 2 silicone swim caps and my full wet suit, nothing else. my face and hands and feet feel freezing and numb to start, but after a couple minutes then they must either acclimate or get so numb I don't notice!  I don't ever recall finishing a swim like that and still feeling cold- just acclimated I guess.

Pee in it, it will warm you up

are your panicky feelings are from the open water itself or from being whacked and kicked by a hundred people all splashing around you?  If the latter, work on staying at the edge of the pack and trust yourself that no matter what awkward combination of messy strokes you use that you will stay afloat.  try to maintain a constant rhythm even if its really slow and expect that people will run into you.

2011-05-02 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

Try to get in the water and get your FACE into the water before the race start.  I've heard that the cold water panic is partly due to all those blood vessels in your face constricting suddenly.  Not sure if that's accurate, but give it a whirl.

Also, two swim caps.  helps a bunch.

2011-05-02 11:36 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have walked through snow to swim in a lake before.. I estimate lake temps were 40- 45F that day.  For really cold water (say 50F or lower) you want to get your face in the water and get your body used to it before race start.  It may take me a good 5 minutes to settle into my rythim with water below 50F.  Around 60F it is not a big deal, just coldish.  I have a neopreme scullcap, but have never actually used it.  I got it for that sub 50F water, but then have not raced colder than high 50's so haven't used it.  I am a wimp now and typically don't swim in lakes below 55F.  I also wore booties for temps below 50F.  The main thing is you need your head under water and your face good and used to the water before the race starts.   
2011-05-02 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Are you saying you are an avid snow skier or water skier?

If it's snow, dealing with the cold of winter has no bearing on how you deal with cold water immersion.

I've pee'd outside at -18f while wearing shorts and a t-shirt, yet I'm still a pansy when it comes to cold water.

What is the expected temperature of the lake? One person's cold is another person's comfortable temperature.

You can add gloves, booties and a hood if you like, or double up on your swim caps. You can also get neoprene caps to help keep your head warm, but it really comes down to getting in, and getting over the panic before you have to start racing.

I don't swim in water much cooler then 55 degrees because the brain freeze feeling I get is to painful to swim through.
2011-05-04 8:37 AM

Mister Mike,

My name is Rick, I am in charge of the lifeguards for this race.  I would recommend getting a neoprene cap.  You could wear a hood, booties and gloves.  Peeing in your suit will warm you a little as well. 

As far as your panic in OWS.  The swim coach is extremely helpful.  He will go over the water conditions.

Feel free to find me at the race if you are feeling a little anxious before hand.

Most important thing is to know your limits and if you need help wave down a guard.  We will be set up every .1 miles of the race. 

2011-05-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3481322

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Triton Water Rescue - 2011-05-04 9:37 AM

Mister Mike,

My name is Rick, I am in charge of the lifeguards for this race.  I would recommend getting a neoprene cap.  You could wear a hood, booties and gloves.  Peeing in your suit will warm you a little as well

As far as your panic in OWS.  The swim coach is extremely helpful.  He will go over the water conditions.

Feel free to find me at the race if you are feeling a little anxious before hand.

Most important thing is to know your limits and if you need help wave down a guard.  We will be set up every .1 miles of the race. 

I nominate this for best "first post" of the week. 

Mark
2011-05-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3481322

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
Triton Water Rescue - 2011-05-04 9:37 AM

Mister Mike,

My name is Rick, I am in charge of the lifeguards for this race.  I would recommend getting a neoprene cap.  You could wear a hood, booties and gloves.  Peeing in your suit will warm you a little as well. 

Thanks Rick I will drop you a PM.

2011-05-04 2:39 PM

User image

X2 on the neoprene cap.  Most of your heat loss comes from the head.

I'm gonna dispel the peeing warms you up myth though.  It may feel good in the moment, but all that will do is cause your skin pores to open up with the warmth.  Once the cold water hits them it sill just make it worse.

Not that I don't pee in my wetsuit.  But I pee because I have to pee, not to make me warmer

2011-05-04 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I've swum in water around 53 degrees at a couple of races and it's brutally cold at first but you do get used to it.

In addition to neoprene booties and a skullcap (or two latex swim caps), you may want to try silicone ear plugs, which I've been told help keep the heat in. I tried them and they seemed to work although I really have no basis of comparison as I don't make it a point to go swimming in water that cold often.
2011-05-04 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

When your body gets cold it regulates core temperature by sending blood to your core. This excess core fluid triggers a response in your bladder telling your body, "too much liquid....get rid of some." That's why you feel like peeing.

However, peeing in your wetsuit has two counter productive effects. First, it expels 98.7* liquid from your body. You want that warmth inside, not out where it will disapate very quickly. Secondly, the fluid loss from urine is replaced by the body pulling liquid from the extremeties....causing hands and feet to get even colder, brrrrrrr!

So resist the urge to pee unless absolutely necessary. Just get some booties and a neoprene cap if you're concerned about warmth.

2011-05-04 11:02 PM

User image

Napa

I swim in the San Francisco Bay year round and the cold never ceases to literally take my breath away when I first get in.  The cold water on my face is bordeline painful......BUT.......it all goes away in a minute or 2 and once acclimated I don't feel it any more.  I am always comfortable with time and it is actually refreshing, I end up happy I got in the water every time.

Be sure you splash around prior to the race start and get your face acclimated and you should be fine.  Remember the anxiety for any race swim only lasts the first few minutes until you swim through it and settle into your pace.  Then enjoy yourself.

As for peeing......gross.  I gotta swim in the water too ya know.  Use the toilet before you get in the water!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Water Swim Rss Feed