Midwest Sports Events
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 34s
Overall Rank = 129/216
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/23
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well - in bed too late and up a lot - closing windows during rain storm. Coffee, soda, granola bar. Packed up back pack and headed over
Event warmup:

Rode bike 2 miles to event. It was cold and windy already! Wandered around to get in bathroom line. Forgot a towel for transition so snagged a bag to use to step on - normally wouldn't be an issue for a du but the mud was pretty wet and deep.
Run
  • 17m 46s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Was in 5th wave and the waves went off quietly so nearly missed it. LOL Was happy with my pace on this...first time ever breaking 9 min mile! Hands were a bit cold but had my polar fleece gloves on so they began to warm finally.
What would you do differently?:

not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Mosh pit in the mud and tried balancing to put on bike shoes without falling into mush. Could not get my helmut buckled... took about 4 times. Totally hosed up the Garmin at this point... not used to using it with transitions so from this point forward it was only used as run 'pace' indicator.

go faster
Bike
  • 1h 14m 52s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

see course but basically it was tough and I was not strong enough And next time I think I'm gonna step in more than I did when I see too many people riding 2-3 across...these two boys especially were actually dangerous to themselves and cars and did not make it conducive for other racers to pass them. Thank God a sag wagon/race marshall finally came along to scoot them over. (I only said 'Car Back, move over" and they didn't seem to heed me).

train more outside and work on basic bike handling more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

slipped a little on the dismount on the pavement and then, DOH! ran past my row!!! Got to the portopottie row and realize "Um, I was not here before". So quickly got back to my row and slopped thru the mud again... funny actually going out of t2... sort of hip hopped over some of the worst mush to get out.

remember my row number.
Run
  • 20m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

was feeling fatigued on this leg. wanted to walk at one point but refused cuz I knewwwww that it would be that much harder to get going again.Got passed by a kid and I knew it wasn't a good thing ;) I heard the announcer say awards were in 15 mins and I knew that my time was not gonna be good.

do more speedwork... train more
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some choco milk and water..chatted with some folks...then packed it up and rode my bike home...and talk about butt pain! then got a calf cramp too. I was pretty wiped out the rest of the day...laid down and took a power nap for 20 mins later in the day but still really wiped out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of real training

Event comments:

I do this race because it is close to home mostly but it is fun and only real draw back is that the weather can be so cold this time of year.

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:46 | 02 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/216
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around park along lake and on some boardwalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:14:52 | 19.5 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/216
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: BIG loop thru town/neighborhoods to farm/countryside. The winds were ferocious! I mean KILLER WINDS!!! At one point going over a hill over the highway (hill being the bridge..heck, we're in Wisconsin so hills are known as bridges and MAYBE a slow grade incline from time to time...but our HILLS are WIND and WIND is PLENTIFUL!) anyhow...going over this bridge into the wind my speedometer read: 8 mph LOL. I got up to 24 but that was with the wind at my back for about 2 miles on the return... then I got stuck in traffic/with too many people wide across the street and impatient cars trying to pass...so rather than risk my life, I waited til it thinned out (plus, my thighs were burning by this point! ;)) Anyhow...just shy of t2, my inner thigh muscle - sort of into the buttocks screamed ... got a bit crampy so I stood up..that helped but I have not had that happen before.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal