General Discussion Race Reports! » Kona Eastside Triathlon - Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kona Eastside Triathlon - Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Baytown, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 48/123
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00am ate a PB&H (honey) sandwich. Drove to race, I wanted to get to the race because it was my first race and I was unsure of how it would be, or what to expect.
Event warmup:

stretch, and run 100 yards or so.
Swim
  • 09m 30s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was shallow, aprox. 4 or 5 ft deep. This was perfect for beginners because you can stop and stand up if you get tired.

I have swam the distance several times and can easily swim 1 mile in the pool, but this was my first open water swim. I am not sure if it was the nerves or the cold water but i started to swim and quickly could not catch my breath. I am not a great swimmer but i do know enough to know that the poor swim was not due to lack of preparation but more so due to inexperience. I think i took off to fast, not in a rhythm and ran out of breath, and could never get caught back up.

Also although i do feel as though I had a bad swim it looks like everyone had a slow swim, which makes me wonder if it was slightly longer than 300yrds.
What would you do differently?:

Tried to stay calm, not try to win the race in the first 10 yards. staying calm and keeping my rhythm would have helped my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

was not sure if i should wear my glasses or not since it was overcast. this hesitation cost me a few seconds. but i think it was not bad for a first timer.

know exactly what to do with glasses if you are not sure if you need them. Put them in the holes in your helmet.
Bike
  • 33m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I made the ultimate rookie mistake! My bike was not in the right gear at the start of the ride so it took some time to get it in gear and rolling. There was a very strong headwind, which turned to a tailwind on the way back.

have my bike in the right gear.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

I put my race belt under my shoes so it would not blow away but when i put my shoes on i took off and forgot to put the belt on. Luckly my personal cheering section let me know and i went back to get it.

Put my race belt in my shoe so i have to take it out to put my shoes on. Hopefully that will help me not forget it.
Run
  • 20m 10s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a very slow runner. and this is about the pace i usually run so i was happy with the run. The water station was at about the 1.5 mile mark so it was tough going the whole distance with out water. Wish they would have had the water at about the .75 to 1 mile mark.

do speed work in training.
Post race
Warm down:

drink some water and vist with people i met during the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My breathing or lack thereof on the swim really mad the rest of the race hard for me.

This was my first race ever so I would sa i did as good as i could have reasonably expected to.

Event comments:

This was a GREAT beginner race. It was very well organized and everyone was very helpful. the distance was perfect for a first timer. it was short enough that i could do it but long enough for me to learn what i need to work on.

Last updated: 2011-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:30 | 300 yards | 03m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 0/123
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course: course was laid out clearly and easy to navigate. It was out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:33:27 | 10 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: it was an out and back, on a new paved road with one minimal hill/bump.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:10 | 02 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Performance: Average
Course: It was down the feeder about 3/4 of a mile and then around the lake. A cery nice run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 9:55 PM

Regular
Houston
Subject: Kona Eastside Triathlon - Super Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kona Eastside Triathlon - Super Sprint Rss Feed