General Discussion Triathlon Talk » junk bike vs. entry level road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-03 7:23 AM

Subject: junk bike vs. entry level road bike

I'm trying to justify spending the money and upgrading to an entry level road bike (something under $1000).  I've done 4 sprints and want to get more serious with my training and distances.  The bike I currently ride on is about 15 years old, a schwinn, and way too small for me (54 vs. 57).  How much faster can I hope to be on a better bike/properly fitted bike?  1 or 2 mph?

Thanks.

2011-05-03 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3479191

User image

Subject: RE: junk bike vs. entry level road bike

I just went through this same debate at the end of last season - which was my first season. I purchased a hybrid bike around this time last year, when I was considering my first tri. I wanted to buy a bike that I could still ride around the neighborhood with the kids if the tri thing didn't pan out. While I still think that was the right decision to make at the time, I ended up buying a used road bike in December (Merry X-Mas to me!).

So to answer your specific question: I did 2 races last year on the hybrid and averaged a little over 14mph (on relatively hilly race courses). This year, I have done 2 races with the road bike and averaged just over 18mph (same hilly race courses). So in a 10 mi race, you're talking about going from ~43mins to ~33mins ... a gain of 10mins! Of course, you also have to factor in the extra 6-8 months of training that I had in between these sets of races, so it's obviously not a perfectly controlled test of the equipment. But even if you only gain the 1-2mph you estimate in your original post, that would still net you 3-5mins off your time.

The real questions are: are you committed to the sport and is the bike within your budget? If you are committed to the sport and the bike is in your budget, I say go for it because you will see gains in your times. If you are committed, but the bike isn't in your budget, just keep training hard and you will still see incremental gains. And if your just not sure, well ...

2011-05-03 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

Have you considered waiting and saving your money, then when you know you're completely hooked getting something nicer than an entry level bike?

Or, what are everyone's thoughts about renting a nicer bike for a B or C race?  A race where the idea of being on a bike you're not completely familiar with is OK?  Then after the race see how good the bike portion of the race felt on the higher end bike and see if you think it's worth it.  But remember, as a bike shop owner told me once, don't try out the super nice all carbon bike just out of curiosity, because if you do you will end up needing to buy one!

2011-05-03 8:56 AM

User image

TX

If you want the bike to last you for awhile, spend the extra 200-300 while you're buying your first bike to get something of quality.  Ideally, you should be looking for 105/force drivetrain minimum, and aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and fork (I don't know if this exists at the $1300 price point).

I went lowest-end components on my first roadie because I had no idea what I was buying.  Ex-bf wanted to get bikes to ride together and he shopped for them.  I also had no idea that I would be doing triathlons when I bought it either.  The components on that bike were 2200s.  I had no significant issues with that set, and did centuries (100 mi), metric centuries (100K, 62mi), tris, you name it.  I was quick on that bike too, so it can be done with that level - 23mph average during last sprint tri.  I wouldn't say that I regret getting that bike (it was $500) but I don't think I would recommend it if you're looking for something that you won't have to upgrade.  The bike was heavy, and I considered it a "junk bike."  But I took good care of it and loved it nontheless.  I recently upgraded to a tri bike.

If you are planning to get more serious with distances, invest the money now so you won't have to later.  Some bike shops have a payment plan, you might look into that.  Or consider looking for a lightly used bike on craigslist (but do your research and ride it before you buy).  Also see if there are any new 2009 models left at the LBS that are on sale.  Current year models go on sale around September or so. 

Don't feel guilty about investing in your health!  I was trying to justify upgrading; after I did it, I had no remorse!

2011-05-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3479381

Climbinggonzo - 2011-05-03 9:44 AM

Have you considered waiting and saving your money, then when you know you're completely hooked getting something nicer than an entry level bike?

Or, what are everyone's thoughts about renting a nicer bike for a B or C race?  A race where the idea of being on a bike you're not completely familiar with is OK?  Then after the race see how good the bike portion of the race felt on the higher end bike and see if you think it's worth it.  But remember, as a bike shop owner told me once, don't try out the super nice all carbon bike just out of curiosity, because if you do you will end up needing to buy one!

This is my plan for now- I have two sprint C races coming up a week apart.  I'm renting a bike for one, going to use POS bike for the other and see how they compare.  But the problem is my coach doesn't want me to do both C races so close to my big A race this season (last C race is 3 weeks from A race.)  I'll report back if I do end up doing them both as it would be a great comparison.

2011-05-03 9:39 PM

Sigh. 

It's times like this that I wished I lived in a more normal part of the world (one where you aren't considered poor if your BMW is more than a year old).  No one here uses Craigslist.  No recession here- local bike shops doing great and have nothing under $1000.  I've practically begged everyone in my riding group to sell me a used bike- no go.  Plus, most girls ride a smaller bike than I need so I'm limited by that.  I've thought about buying on line but I'm so new that I really want to try various bikes out.

The problem really is my A race of the year is in 4 weeks.  If I'm going to do something, I've gotta do it now.  Otherwise, I might as well wait for winter sales.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.  Any more?

2011-05-03 10:06 PM

Veteran

A Sora equiped bike will be ALOT faster than a poor fitting junker. It's hard to say how much faster as I don't know your fitness level or strength on the bike. A really poor fit could be costing you alot of speed, maybe more than 5mph. Going from 10 or 12 speeds or a "recreational" triple crank 18 speed, to a modern bike with a traditional 52/39 crankset and 10 speed cassette will smoke your old Schwinn. Weight of a new entry level bike will surprise you too. Going from a heavy bike to a lighter one will be IMMEDIATELY noticeable. I gurantee you will feel like your going to go airborne compared to an old cro-moly bike.

No need for a mid level bike, the entry level $1K bike will be a huge improvement for you. Shimano Sora works great. Don't buy into the "gotta have 105 or better" philosophy. Longevity will be fine as it doesn't sound as though your putting 5,000 - 10,000 miles a year on it. Alot of people will tell you to save up and buy better. I see no reason to do that unless you want to.

Trust me on this..... a $1000 bike (Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc...) is NOT a walmart quality bike. The biggest complaint of Sora is that most people cannot downshift from the drops. So what! Most people who are getting an entry level bike dont ride in the drops anyways.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » junk bike vs. entry level road bike Rss Feed