General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Flying Pig Marathon
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 56m 33s
Overall Rank = 1594/10871
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 35/711
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 3.45am, ate English Muffin,hung around the house and then headed down to Newport to park. Morning started out fine, no rain but according to the radar it was heading in our direction. I left Jim and kids home sleeping, Jim had work at 3pm and Conor had his First Comm, so I did not want to wake everyone up so early.
Event warmup:

After I parked, I waited a few minutes and just walked across the bridge in Cinti. It turned out that I was there earlier then I should have been but I went and hung out by pig pen B. It started to drizzle and the wind picked up but I felt fine. Just people watched and stretched
Run
  • 1h 56m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

About 15 minutes before start, rain and wind picked up. It was a cold rain and not fun at all, feet were soaking. The gun went off. I started out running with the 8.23 pace group which was fine but for some reason I felt like I had no energy from about mile 2 to 4, Jim seemed to think I should have eated something right before the run started, which I know now, I should have. Right around the 5 mile marker I felt like I was in trouble, drank Gatorade and a couple of shot blocks but then I was hit with the hills at the park, crap!. I have done this race at least 8/9 times and never seem prepare for the hills. I saw my pace go down and of course that is not good mentally. By the time I got out of the park, I really tried to pick up the pace for the last mile and half before the turnaround. Right around that time, I started to feel so much better and picked up the pace, passed a lot of people and my pace went back up to about a 8.30, but damage was done and I knew I would not PR but I would beat last year's time, which I did my three minutes. So happy when I turned on the Pete Rose Way, felt like I was going to throw up but the Finish Line was in sight, crossed the line and I was done.
What would you do differently?:

Take some Muscle Milk before start, try running the streets more, we had a lot of rain this year and running on the TM became a habit, need pavement and hills more. Stop Raining!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

finished race, prety happy with time and surprise, Jim was waiting for me at the end of the race. I was so happy to see him. He said he got up about 6am and heard all the rain and deceided to come down and see me finish. Very Nice.

Last updated: 2011-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:33 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/711
Overall: 10594/10871
Performance: Average
Course: This is a tough course, a lot of hills in Cinti. Ran into Newport, Covington and back into Cinti
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-03 8:50 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

2011-05-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3479397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon
You are a great athlete!  You looked awesome at the finish!  LOVE YA!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed