General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on a level 3 sprained ankle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-03 4:47 PM

KC Suburbs
Subject: Training on a level 3 sprained ankle

I got off my bike durning a brick workout, started to run and rolled my ankle pretty bad.  It’s a level III sprain and actually has a chip broken off the ankle which really isn’t that big a deal since it will not attach back.  Funny thing is, it really doesn’t hurt much at all.  I went ahead and ran 5 miles on it after I did it.  It looks horrible, is black, blue, yellow, green all over my foot and lower leg. Looks way worse than it feels.  I have the 1st tri coming up 5/22 and I am not missing it.  Has anyone else trained on something like this and any advice for what I can do to get the biggest bang for my time without running too much?  Again, it is really not that painful but I am sure if I run on it for any distance now, it wouldn’t be good.  I need to (choose to) keep training so just looking for help/advice.  Thanks.

2011-05-03 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3480527

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Training on a level 3 sprained ankle

With less than three weeks to go, it's not like you'd be building up that much more fitness for the tri anyway.

I say aquajogging. You already have the structural fitness from whatever running you've done until now, and the aquajogging will maintain your running shape until the tri.

How does it feel biking on it? Swimming (with the ankle flexion required for kicking)?

2011-05-03 4:54 PM

User image

Melon Presser

With less than three weeks to go, it's not like you'd be building up that much more fitness for the tri anyway.

I say aquajogging. You already have the structural fitness from whatever running you've done until now, and the aquajogging will maintain your running shape until the tri.

How does it feel biking on it? Swimming (with the ankle flexion required for kicking)?

2011-05-03 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
I would say, please be smart.  Training and even racing is not worth the risk of further injury.  I know from EXPERIENCE.  What you may be doing is setting yourself up for future injury by continuing to train on your ankle.  Your best bet, is to stay off of it until your ankle is back to normal.   I know that is hard to due but by not doing this, you may miss a lot more than one race. 
2011-05-03 8:01 PM

New user
Try swimming with a pull buoy?  That's about the only thing I can think of that leaves your ankle mostly alone.  Even then, I'd probably be tempted to point my toes and agitate my ankle if I did it for too long.
2011-05-04 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I just had a similar thing happen, rolled my ankle hard running and tore some ligaments. I was under doctor's orders to do no workouts at all for 6-8 weeks, and was stuck in a boot. All of this after I was 1 month into HIM training.

I highly recommend going to an orthopedic doctor and getting it looked it properly. Just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean that something isn't wrong. Stop training on it, rest up, and heal. You'll miss your race, but thats better than missing races for the rest of your life because you made the ankle worse.

After I took the time to let it heal properly, I have re-started training and am getting faster every week. The off time is rough mentally, but its necessary so that you don't ruin your hobby before it has even started.

2011-05-04 9:39 PM

User image

New user

I had a sprain 4 weeks before IM, just after doing my last long run. It's rather difficult to believe that you were able to run on it, as I was hardly able to walk on mine for 4 days. I went to see a sports medicine PT who was also a LAT. He got me in ASAP when I mentioned IM, since this is a big IM town (IMMoo) and he sees lots of triathletes. He gave me a 50/50 chance of doing IM. I did ALL my PT exercises. I taped my ankle daily for several weeks.

Swimming was the first thing I could do, but with a pull buoy... no kicking for probably 2 weeks. Next was biking. I did my last 100mile ride about 10 days after the sprain, but it really hurt going over bumps. Last was running... I did a lot of elliptical, then moved to the treadmill, then outside. 

On race day, I had lots of pains, but thankfully most of them were not in my ankle.

Good luck!

2011-05-05 3:50 AM
in reply to: #3482820

User image

New Haven, CT
i played half my junior college year of football with multiple ankle sprins.  if you can handle the pain, tape your ankles and ice lots.  do the PT.  heres the downside: 16 years later I have permanently swollen ankles and basically no cartilage in them.
2011-05-05 6:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-09 9:02 AM

A grade3 sprain means that you completely tore the ligament.

The bruising is basically internal bleeding associated with the trauma.

First I'd go see an Orthopedic that specializes in sports medicine.  Personally, I've ski-instructed on a completely torn ACL for 2 weeks.  And while I Probably did not damage my knee for such a short amount of time, if I did that for a season or two, I definitely would have need more repairs and longer rehab to recuperate.

If you truly have a grade 3 sprain, then you will probably require a doctor's help to repair it (surgery is highly probable for complete ruptures, rehab is nearly guaranteed).

I'll finish with a quick story.  One of my friends who was running the Leadville 100 sprained his ankle around mi 18.  He kept going because "it didn't hurt" and he was breathing well (this is a race @ 10,000' after all) So he pushed on.  At mile 86 the on-course doctors told him if he pushed further to finish the race, he would probably need surgery and may never be able to run again.  As it was, he damaged his ankle so badly that his recuperation was measured in MONTHS vs weeks if he quit when he first injured himself.  He can run, but is still not back to 100% and probably never will be.  He is a personal running coach and sponsors races, so running is his life.

Since its now close to a week after your injury (or posting), if the swelling has not significantly reduced and the bruising has not started to lessen, I'd seek immediate help.  You may need surgery.  You may also need to start thinking about not being in that race on the 22nd unless you want to risk making the injury worse.  But go see a sports-med orthopod for the final verdict.

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

2011-05-09 3:07 PM

I have to agree with most others here. Let it heal properly first.

However, if you absolutely have to train and will/can not let go of the 5/22 race and you're going to train anyway, try to find an AlterG treadmill near you if you can. It lets you take body weight off and still run. Highly effective for training after an injury and I've heard folks with injuries use them to maintain fitness without the damage of an actual run. For example, you can run with only 60 or 70% of your body weight. There's no resistance like running in deep water so it's more like natural running. Just with less weight on your feet and legs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training on a level 3 sprained ankle Rss Feed