United States
OC Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m
Overall Rank = 204/6550
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, ate a cliffbar, the gf and I picked up a buddy of mine from work and we headed out to Fashion Island.
Event warmup:

I jogged to the start line
Run
  • 1h 37m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

So I got the stomach flu on tues/wed (Been getting sick prior to races alot lately). I was out of commission for a few days. And prior to that, my longest run in training was 8 miles. I had a pretty tough time building the milage as my legs were not responding after oceanside. I was actually planning to run the full marathon, but knew that I couldn't do it with the lack of run fitness. So my ultimate goal for this HM, was to just enjoy it and try to get under 1:40, or 1:30 on a perfect day.

After the gun went off, I started running pretty easy, trying to settle into a groove before I started pushing it. I looked down and my HR was up, and I was running low 8s, and I was thinking to myself, boy this going to be a long race. I was already winded but then I realized that the first mile was uphill. After I reach the top, I started flying down the hill (probably running high 5s low 6s). And at this point, I decided, you know what, I cannot enjoy this race unless I push it and so....I did.

Mile 2-8 - Nothing is more humbling than getting beat by a older dude, who looks at you when he passes and says "Com on man, I'm 65 years old." I did the math in my head and he's 2.3xs older than me. As soon as I realize this, I sped up and passed him and said "Grandpa, I only wish I could run as fast as you when I'm 65." I never saw the guy again. I ran up and down rolling hills. My slowest mile was a 7:37, and that was going uphill. I was averaging 7:17 for the first 8 miles

Mile 9-13 - I think at mile 10 I was contemplating whether or not I should walk because I was having a sharp pain in my heart. It was weird. Never had that before and I was actually pretty scared. The pain slowly traveled to my back. I just kept going and drank some water, gatorade and downed some gels. There was a lady that I kept pace with for the duration of the run. With .5 mile left, I sprinted to the finish. I was tired, really tired. I was a little dizzy because it was hot and I'm sure I was a bit dehydrated.
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick and put in some more miles on my legs
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some bananas, walked around and waited around for a few of my buddies to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training miles, stomach issues and weight. I'm going to drop some lbs this season and get more muscles in the process. I love going heavy in the weight room so that has to change. Let's see how long it takes for me to run in the mid 6s..

Last updated: 2011-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/6550
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a pt. to pt from Newport Beach ending at the Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa. A bunch of rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No