General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-04 9:33 PM

Subject: Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race????

I've done 3 sprints- one each year for the last three years.  This year I really want to rock my hometown tri which is in 4 weeks (June 5). 

I was thinking of doing a sprint this weekend (May 7) and next weekend (May 14) in near by towns, mostly to practice transitions and try out variables (eat before, hydration, etc.) but I am not the type that can "take it easy" in a race.  I know myself- I'll go all out.  I've been advised not to do the races if I can't hold back a little.  "The more you hold back the more you'll have for your A race".  I was thinking going all out 3 and 4 weeks before would be good training and a way to really push myself but not too close to wear myself out.

I usually train 14 hours a week.

Thoughts?

2011-05-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3482813

User image

Subject: RE: Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race????

For someone who trains 14 hours a week, I would think you would have the opposite problem.  That an all out sprint isn't enough compared to your normal training...and that you would ask the question if you should do a 30 mile bike ride after your sprint.

I train 10-12 hours per week.  For me, a sprint tri is just a glorified interval workout. 

2011-05-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3482813

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Subject: RE: Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race????
I might do the first one but not the second one. If you go all out you'll need recovery time which will throw your training schedule off, but you are 4 weeks away from your A race so that seems like enough time to recover and get ready for the big race: )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two sprints 3 & 4 weeks before A sprint race???? Rss Feed