Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-05 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3482939

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Whiskey, anyone?
For sipping whiskey, I like Black Bushmills for Irish, Eagle Rare (from Buffalo Trace), Elijah Craig single-barrel for Bourbon, and Glenmorangie 18 for single-malt.
For Manhattans (which is really a whole 'nother discussion) I like Makers Mark if somone else is buying, rail if it's on me

2011-05-05 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3483576

Master
Houston, TX

yeats - 2011-05-05 10:28 AM If he likes Irish whiskey for sipping, then I say that for a gift you go to a single malt Scotch from the Speyside region (rather than a bourbon) for I find the palate similar to Irish whiskey while adding a distinct characteristic particular to the distillery. I don't think you'd go wrong with a bottle of Aberlour, Macallan, or Balvenie. Dang, I'm thirsty now.

This ^^^is good advice.

I was thinking as I was reading through the posts that the whiskey's you named off that he likes taste nothing like a bourbon or any of the american whiskey's being named.  they are MUCH closer to a scotch (if you are wanting to go with a single malt/barrel).  I am a HUGE fan of bourbon and I prefer Blanton's, but I haven't had a bourbon that would taste even remotely similar to crown or Jameson.  To me it's like the difference between a margarita wine cooler and a real margarita.  Macallen has been the best scotch suggestion I've seen, but Irish: Bushmill's single malt 16 yr old is in the $60-$70 range; american whiskey: (ri)1 is a good solid whiskey in the $20 - $30 range; and someone mentioned balvenie, they have a 25 yr old single barrel speyside that is in the $100 range that has a lot of flavor and is a pretty solid choice.  I'm also a fan of Glenmorangie Astar Northern Highlands $80.

These are not what I would recommend for everyone, but based on your husbands tastes that you presented, these are some options.

2011-05-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3483856

User image

Veteran
DC

This, everything. I was going to Reply w/ Eagle Rare, but he beat me to it. And Maker's Manhattan's too, what I always drink at weddings.

Just replied to add Basil Hayden over Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek or Wild Turkey, for the easier to find stuff.

2011-05-05 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Macallan fans, you'll probably like Highland Park as well. McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey is an interesting, if somewhat wild scotch-like substance.

Black Maple Hill bourbon is pretty good stuff too.
2011-05-05 7:30 PM

User image

I have to chime in w/ my favorite (so far) - - Johnny Walker Black.  For me - something special would be JW Blue :)  Albeit - - I have plenty of other whiskeys to try :)

Edited by StevenJ 2011-05-05 7:31 PM
2011-05-05 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Burbon: go for Willett Burbon, the bottle is unique and the contents very good.  I picked up a Makers Mark 46, it has a slightly more complex flavor profile than traditional Makers. 

Whiskey: Colorado.. made in Denver or any other small artisan distillery. (Give the little guys a try, they make good stuff)

Depending on price limits get a couple of the suggestions and do a side by side tasting so you can learn the various flavor profiles with friends.

Cheers

2011-05-06 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3483180

User image

Regular

We are running around in the whiskey family here. Bourbons, Tennessee whiskey and scotch arent all the same. Here are my suggestions to each. 

Bourbon: Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek are all good. Im not a real big bourbon drinker, ill usually go to Jim Beam if I want bourbon, but my buddy really likes bourbon and we drank our share of the ones listed above. 

Whiskey: Jack Daniels is my fav. Black Label is the standard, good clean taste. Green Label (if they sell it around where you live) is a little more mellow (its aged less). Its the same price as black, so it would be a treat that wouldnt break the bank. Gentlemen's Jack is a little better, a little more flavor but also not as harsh. Single Barrel is the next expensive, and really good also.

Scotch: This is where I live. I LOVE my Macallan 12 year (Sous). I usually drink Johnnie Walker Black which is great, and Red is also very good. If your feeling generous, grab a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue (about $200/bottle). Buying my 2nd bottle for graduation, its pretty amazing. Upper end Bushmills is good. I dont like J&B or Dewars. 

2011-05-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3483276

User image

Regular
Batlou - 2011-05-05 8:33 AM

Scotch..pfft.  If you like Scotch or Irish Whiskey then you have to thank KY Bourbon distillers and the White Oak barrels that are used to make it.  After the barrels have been used one time to make Bourbon they are shipped over seas to be reused over and over to make European Whiskey.  The first use of the barrels produces the best whiskey and is one of the things that makes KY Bourbon unique.

Can you tell I am biased?

Specifically, the naturally occuring sugar in the wood of the barrel is soaked into the blend and is partially what gives it's distinct flavor.  Along with Limestone filtered water and a few other processes specific to Bourbon.  Prior to filling barrel it is charred for 20 seconds or so to carmalize the sugars.  By the time the bourbon matures it has already extracted all of these natural flavors and incorporated it into the blend.  European Whiskey is only benefiting from the leftover flavors of the Bourbon that has soaked into the wood.

BOOOO!

2011-05-08 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

Got to chime in here: the man likes Jameson.  Let's focus on similar taste profiles, then.  Bushmills can be quite tasty.  I always preferred Bushmills to Jameson, but most people have a distinct favorite.  I like the suggestion of Speyside scotch...not too much of a stretch, but something new nonetheless.  Lovely, lovely flavor.  And the Aberlour (I think someone already suggested that) is fab.  Personally, I prefer the Islay Scotches, though they can be a bit much for some.

Or, you could buy multiple small drams so he could taste different types: 

http://uncrate.com/stuff/drinks-by-the-dram/

Bulleit now makes a rye whiskey that is pretty awesome, too.  MMMmm...I love whisky/whiskey talk.

2011-05-08 11:14 AM

Las Vegas
If he likes crown get him the Crown Royal Cask. It is extremely smooth whiskey and has something to do with being in a cognac cured barrel for two years, there's hardly a bite on it at all.
2011-05-09 10:18 AM

Master
Memphis, TN

For Scotch go for something Single Malt like Glenfidich 18 it's pretty reasonable for single malt and very drinkable.

For Bourbon go for something good.  I'm not a Makers Mark fan but check out Knob Creek, Eagle Rare or Woodford Reserves.  All very affordable and good enough to drink without a mixer.   If you are going to mix it with Coke just get something middle of the road like Crown.

2011-05-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3483958

Master
Memphis, TN
asgate99 - 2011-05-05 1:22 PM

This, everything. I was going to Reply w/ Eagle Rare, but he beat me to it. And Maker's Manhattan's too, what I always drink at weddings.

Just replied to add Basil Hayden over Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek or Wild Turkey, for the easier to find stuff.

I thought I was the only one who like eagle rare.  Good stuff but everytime I go into the liquor store it's climbing in price. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Whiskey, anyone? Rss Feed  

of 2