Set Up Events
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 45s
Overall Rank = 189/265
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/19
Pre-race routine:

It was my first triathlon so I spent the time looking over the transition areas making sure I knew where to go. I talked to the other athletes on my rack who all were excited to start off the 2011 season.
Swim
  • 06m 7s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a lot different sharing a lane with people headed in the opposite direction. The water seemed cloudy and I looked up a lot to make sure I wasn't going off course or running into someone else. The guy starting behind me was a lot quicker for some reason and I was able to let him pass at the end of one of the lanes so I didn't hold him back. I almost caught up with the person in front of me but she stayed just far enough ahead not to be a factor. It also seemed a lot longer than 300m but it was probably due to me being excited about the race and wanting to get onto the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my stroke and try to improve my times for next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

It was a little chilly hopping out of the warm pool area and running straight outside though it was only a short run to transistion where I could towel off and put a shirt on. Since I forgot my cycling shoes I had to bike and run in my running shoes. Putting on the shirt, socks, shoes took a while but was a welcome little break. T1 was slow but it was my first race and it was good to see what I could improve on for next time.

Wear a tri-specific top so I don't have to change into a shirt. Consider going without socks for the ride.
Bike
  • 34m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the course had some pretty strong headwinds so I paced myself accordingly. Used some of the hills to pass other people as I seem to be stronger on the hills than some people. On the last few miles there was a good tailwind so I was able to go faster and make up time.

Remember to bring my cycling shoes. Practice and try and put the cycling shoes on the bike to reduce T1 time. Spin some on the last 1/4 mile to prepare for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

T2 was great. Was able to put bike back and take off. No need to change shoes since I was already in my running shoes.
Run
  • 31m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not able to run nearly as well as I had hoped. A lot of this was probably due to the fact that I had done no outdoor running before this race (all my practice was indoors on a treadmill). The volunteers were great and very encouraging, in particular the one who told me there was only 200 yards to go. That helped me run a little faster to the finish.

Run outdoors more and get used to running on pavement and asphalt as opposed to the treadmill.
Post race
Event comments:

This was a great course for being a first time triathlete. It is well organized and gives newbies a chance to see what triathlons are all about.

Last updated: 2011-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:07 | 328 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 145/265
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25m swimming pool x 6 lanes. Course was a "snake" up and back each of the 6 lanes for a total of 300m.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:17 | 10 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 160/265
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rural roads with some small rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:29 | 03.11 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/265
Performance: Below average
Course: The first part was through town then out into the countryside. Mostly flat with a few small rises in the middle section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes