Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3543515

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Subject: RE: best sports drink???

Do I get a free Shamwow with the purchase of this Powerade drink?

Basketballplayer - 2011-06-11 12:53 AM

You guys all failed miserably to answer this question. Yes there is a correct answer to this question and gatorade is not the answer nor is chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is not a sports drink. The best sports drink for recovery of sweat loss is POWERADE. Did you guys forget that powerade has an advanced ion4 electrolyte system that restores the sodium,potassium,calcium,and magnesium. Not to mention,it has vitamin B3,B6,and B12.0 grams of fat, and 21 grams of carbs for muscle energy. This is the correct answer. Water will only replace the water lost. It wont replace the salt. Sweat is a combo of salt and water. Gatorade doesnt have the ion4 advanced electrolyte system. Gatorade only replaces the salt and water,it doesnt have as much potassium and it doesnt have calcium or magnesium nor any b vitamins which are essential for proper hydration for muscle repair.

Thanks

2011-06-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3487316

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Generation U-Can and First Endurance 

2011-06-11 4:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-11 5:08 PM

Master
Sedona, AZ

Depends on how susceptible you are to marketing. Sports drinks are essentially carbs and electrolytes. The carbs are typically sucrose or maltodextrin. There are others used, but these are the most common. Malto runs about $1-2/pound. Electrolytes are typically sodium chloride - table salt. The amount is very low, probably about $0.05 per pound of maltodextrin. There are other electrolytes in  sports drinks, but the amount is very low and if you eat food (as in, virtually any food) you replace them without needing supplements. Then there is some flavoring mixed in.

Protein is added to some 'high endurance' sports drinks. Studies have shown that a little protein for long efforts can be marginally helpful but I don't know if this has been backed up with multiple non-industry-sponsored studies. I've tried it, but never noticed a difference. It has the potential to upset your stomach.

So, if you believe the marketing, the best sports drink is the one who convinces you they are the best. When I found out the info I've just told you, I decided the best sports drink is the one I can make in my kitchen for a few cents per serving.

As I started to watch my weight more and realized I didn't actually need the extra calories for my training, I skipped the sports drinks and haven't missed them at all. Turns out that my blaming nutrition for low energy, cramps, etc. was just a poor excuse, not a real issue. My problem was improper conditioning - no matter how many calories, sports drinks, energy drinks, and power bars you eat, you can't finish a marathon on 5 miles a week! I sold off the rest of my 50 lb bag of malto to people who still felt they needed it. Now water is my drink of choice.

(I still take in nutrition for long efforts - on my 60 mile ride this morning, I had 2 apples. For a 15 mile run, I'll take a gel but may not eat it. Everything else is regular food before and after the workout).

2011-06-11 5:55 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Mainly, water for me. But training and racing in the tropics, I do have to use electrolyte drinks for longer runs/rides/races etc. (over an hour).  The only one I buy is Nuun--tablets are more portable, which means I can "smuggle" it in bulk from the US or Singapore. The citrus flavors are light and not too sweet. All the other major brands taste disgustingly sweet to me. But if they are served during a race I manage--I grab a cup of water and one of whatever sports drink is served, and throw them back in alternation so I don't gag. After 30+ years of running, I'm good at aid station gymnastics!

2011-06-11 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3544043

The best sports drink is the one your race serves. Train with it or bring your own.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best sports drink??? Rss Feed  

of 2