General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-07-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3618245

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: 2011 Cycling race report thread.
Rudedog55 - 2011-07-28 6:55 AM
dredwards - 2011-07-27 9:20 PM

Some great racing going on!  Well done!

yeah..well..someone has some sharing to do......  Mrs National Champion......again

LOL!!!!

It's been a bit of a whirlwind this week, Rudy.  Tomorrow is a rest day, so I'll have some time to check in and give an update.

Although the events are short, the schedule is such that I've been at the track all day between warming up, racing, waiting for events, waiting for podiums, waiting to pee in a cup...

2011-07-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3619462

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
dredwards - 2011-07-28 2:53 PM
Rudedog55 - 2011-07-28 6:55 AM
dredwards - 2011-07-27 9:20 PM

Some great racing going on!  Well done!

yeah..well..someone has some sharing to do......  Mrs National Champion......again

LOL!!!!

It's been a bit of a whirlwind this week, Rudy.  Tomorrow is a rest day, so I'll have some time to check in and give an update.

Although the events are short, the schedule is such that I've been at the track all day between warming up, racing, waiting for events, waiting for podiums, waiting to pee in a cup...

I read your logs.  Very impressive!!!
2011-07-29 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3487847

User image

Master
Connecticut

Thanks Crowny!  I sometimes feel like I am living out a dream that I didn't even know I had.   

The racing has been fun and rewarding to me on many levels.

2011-07-31 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3621212

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
dredwards - 2011-07-29 5:02 PM

Thanks Crowny!  I sometimes feel like I am living out a dream that I didn't even know I had.   

The racing has been fun and rewarding to me on many levels.

EDIT: It won't let me link to the direct picture so, see picture 44 in this series.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-pictures-masters-cycling-20110726,0,7635623.photogallery?index=mc-pictures-masters-cycling-20110726-001

Very Nice!  HUGE CONGRATS!

2011-07-31 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

How did you find that?    My notebook computer is very slow, so I'll have to wait until I get home to search and sort through pictures.

Yes, that is me and Dana.  Until I saw that picture, I didn't even realize how far ahead of the field we had sprinted in the finish, but there isn't even anyone else visible in the frame.

2011-07-31 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3622223

User image

Champion
dredwards - 2011-07-31 8:03 AM

How did you find that?    My notebook computer is very slow, so I'll have to wait until I get home to search and sort through pictures.

Yes, that is me and Dana.  Until I saw that picture, I didn't even realize how far ahead of the field we had sprinted in the finish, but there isn't even anyone else visible in the frame.

We had some folks there racing and spectating.  Someone posted the link to the pictures on their facebook page.

2011-07-31 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3622223

User image

Champion
New York, NY
dredwards - 2011-07-31 8:03 AM

CONGRATS!!!!!

2011-07-31 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3592569

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Rudedog55 - 2011-07-12 11:25 AM

oweiss - 2011-07-12 12:43 AM

@Crowny

As long as you place and are not pulled I believe you get the experience point for cat 5 to cat 4 upgrade.  Although I would recommend that you are finishing comfortably in the pack before upgrading.

Here is a link to the upgrade requirements.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=580

I always thought it was 10 mass starts period, as long as you line up you are given credit. fortunately the cat 5 races i did early last year when i got dropped were no pull, but i still got lapped plenty and learned a ton. I ended up doing 15-16 cat 5 races before i upgraded this winter prior to the season, and am now 6 points away from a 3 upgrade. If i actually bike raced in the last two months instead of doing Tri's i might have gotten the points, now i fear i might not get enough chances, since i am running out of races this season and cross starts in a month!!!

Crowny, you are doing great, and the important thing is you are learning and getting faster!!!  Keep it up!!!

Rudy = Sandbagger!!!
2011-08-01 6:06 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I am back and settled from the masters nationals now.

It was a good week for me.  My main goal was just to get one win in any event so I could stay in stars and stripes.  My sights were on my best event, the 500m, which was the first of the week.  I did win the event, laying down the fastest time of any women's division.  I went on to win two more national titles in the scratch race and 2k TT, got silvers in my other two events (match sprints and points race), and I was awarded the "best All-around Rider."

As fun as the racing is, the meets are also great fun from a social perspective, as I see old friends and meet new ones.  Since they were run closer to home this year, I also had a good number of NY and New England friends here in other age categories who I could cheer on.  Adding to the excitement of these events, are the track legends (former Olympians, world champions, and pros) who returned to racing again as masters, in many cases just for this event.   Many of the highlights of the week had nothing to do with my own races.

Obviously, I feel good about my performance.  We had good representation in my division, with some very competitive racers. and I was happy with my times in the TT events. I really feel like it was a great benchmark to start my track season.  I know what I need to do to prep and I feel good about UCI masters worlds in October.

2011-08-02 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3623107

User image

Champion
dredwards - 2011-08-01 7:06 AM

It was a good week for me.  My main goal was just to get one win in any event so I could stay in stars and stripes.  My sights were on my best event, the 500m, which was the first of the week.  I did win the event, laying down the fastest time of any women's division.  I went on to win two more national titles in the scratch race and 2k TT, got silvers in my other two events (match sprints and points race), and I was awarded the "best All-around Rider."

As fun as the racing is, the meets are also great fun from a social perspective, as I see old friends and meet new ones.  Since they were run closer to home this year, I also had a good number of NY and New England friends here in other age categories who I could cheer on.  Adding to the excitement of these events, are the track legends (former Olympians, world champions, and pros) who returned to racing again as masters, in many cases just for this event.   Many of the highlights of the week had nothing to do with my own races.

Obviously, I feel good about my performance.  We had good representation in my division, with some very competitive racers. and I was happy with my times in the TT events. I really feel like it was a great benchmark to start my track season.  I know what I need to do to prep and I feel good about UCI masters worlds in October.

Major congratulations to the woman who answered my first post on BT!!!
2011-08-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3623107

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Rainbow jersey = cyclocross race.......HA!!!!!

Kim, we are all really really proud of you, you are a great racer and a great motivator and mentor to all us newbie bike racers, Congrats on the huge success in the Nats!!!

2011-08-05 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3630917

User image

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2011-08-05 3:04 PM

Rainbow jersey = cyclocross race.......HA!!!!!

Kim, we are all really really proud of you, you are a great racer and a great motivator and mentor to all us newbie bike racers, Congrats on the huge success in the Nats!!!

Rudy: They start the women 2min after the Cat4 men in cross. Kim would blow past us on lap 1 and you know it!

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!
2011-08-05 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

No worries about me catching you. I'll be busy tripping over barriers and falling on my face in the mud.

Someone should be prepared with a beer handup, because I'll be needing it.

2011-08-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3631387

User image

Champion

HA, I have a quick one today.

Luray Crit .8 mile loop with 5-6 turns and a 12% grade hill in the middle.  Got dropped 5 laps in, pulled out after 6 laps with bad legs and bad back.  I don't seem to do well with fresh legs.

2011-08-08 2:36 AM

User image

Fast and Furious Cat 3 Pleasanton, CA

57 people lined up to the start. Race started off like I wanted to and I got into the top 12 positions and felt very comfortable for the first three laps. Turn 2 of lap 4 and I was too far on my edge of my wheel and I over-reacted I guess to someone in front of me that I was gaining on and my tire buckled/tube flatted or something and I went down pretty hard. Luckily, it was a solo effort and no one else ran me over. So I put my bike on my shoulder and jogged to the other corner of the course where the neutral pit was. Got a new back wheel and was let back into the race with 12 to go. Moved myself up through to the top 20 between 12 and 4 to go. At 4 to go I started moving up again. At two to go the race slowed down and got very sketchy with people swerving from one side of the road to the other. Did my best to maintain position but got caught off on the back stretch off the last lap and dropped from 10th to about 25th. Came around the last corner and sprinted up to a 14th place finish. Spent a good 20 minutes with the EMT's after the race getting all of the road-rash on my right side (shin, thigh, knee, ribs, upper arm, elbow, and forearm) cleaned out and bandaged.

Disappointed in myself more than anything. One thing that was nice is that I had a cheering section of drunk people on back stretch after they saw me get back into the race with a tattered jersey/bib and my wife cheering me on the front side of the course. It oddly enough helped.

Oliver

2011-08-08 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Sounds like quite the race!  Hope you get healed up.  Never good to make friends with the EMT...

2011-08-08 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alexian Brothers Tour of Elgin Masters 35+ Cat 5.

Fairly technical course.  1.2 miles.  6 turns.  1 turn was a 180.  Basically a big P. 20 minute race so VERY short.

Wasn't able to push up at the start line so started at the back of the pack.  Big quick sprint to establish position going into the 180. And of course, guys tried to go 4 wide into the 180, with a few inside guys pushing all the way to the gutter out of the turn and not holding their line.  From the start, they were pushing it in the 2 long straight aways.    Starting on the 3rd lap, a tall skinny guy and I started to move up on the inside of the pack.  He would drag race down the long stretch and I would pull him through the corners (I have better handling confidence and skills). 

With 3-4 laps to go, we were moving up pretty well.  Last turn going into the long 800m straight away is where it all went south.  Good hard left 90-degree turn and I was sitting in about 16-18th place and the guy in 6th place had a rear wheel blow out.  Back end went right while he kept going.  He ultimately took out 3-4 riders.  I was behind and I SHOULD have cut hard inside but was blocked so I had to lock em up and go right.  Directly at the curb and grass.  Quickly made a decision, bunny hopped the curb, lost balance, barrel rolled to my right, left foot still clipped in.  Unclipped totally, stood up, made a VERY quick evaluation.  Nothing broken, no blood, bike looks fine, both wheels spin.  Grabbed the bike and took off.  (side note, the guy to my right hit the curb dead on and blew his front tire.  he started to try to take off too till I hollered that he was flat and heard him cussing as I took off).

By the time I was upright, the pack was gone.  Out of sight.  Now comes the learning experience.  I SHOULD have tucked into the wheel pit and waited.  But I wasn't 100% certain if we were past that cut off yet.  And frankly, I still don't know if we were.  So instead, I tucked in and started to time trial it.  I was on my own.  No one else was with me.  Ultimately, when I crosse the line right after the race I THINK we were still 3 laps to go so I possibly could have swung it.

Anyway, to finish up, I tucked in and took off.  First time past the line, my wife hollered out if I was ok (She saw the wreck on the jumbo tron that they had set up, cameras all over the course just like the pros).  I was so angry at this point, I just blew by her.  Next time around, I gave her the thumbs up.  I also started to catch people.  I picked off another 3 racers to finish up 34th out of 43 with a sprint at the end for good measure.

I was really angry for a while, namely because of all days to have a crash, it had to happen on a day where I KNOW I would have finished with the pack.  I felt strong.  I felt great and I was setting myself up to finish with the pack.  Oh well.  That's racing.
2011-08-08 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Long one, as it is Tour of the Catskills, more of a war story:

Stage 1: 12 mile TT, fairly flat some wind.  I was excited all day for this – this is the part of the race I should do ok on.  I did not anticipate a few things:

-elbow fracture on TT bars hurts like a mofo

-not riding your TT bike for a long time makes it feel a little sketchy

-not training for a TT makes it suck

my power was 35 watts below my FTP!!!! Talk about SUCKING!  Oh well. On to the next stage

Stage 2: the Devil’s kitchen awaits at mile 60 of 65. So we all go off, things are fine, I even work my way to the front to be near Lisa and Sara, but I am REALLY skittish about being around people since the crash 3 weeks ago. So as I start getting passed, I cannot find away into the pack and it did not take long until I was dropped – by by spare wheels.  I knew I had to ride my own race, my elbow and shoulder were both hurting so I just rode. The first downhill, there was a rider on the side of the road with an ambulance and EMTs – I took that downhill much slower than my usually pace being a bit freaked by that site.  I passed one girl, who repassed me on the climb and we rode together until she put the pedal to the metal and I did not have it in me.

The course had a different turn than the GPX file on line so now my garmin started yelling at me to make a u turn. After about 15-20 minutes of this I KNOW we are on course (this was the ride we did 2 weeks ago and I recognized the horsies) I try to get my garmin to restart the course and it shuts off!!!!! FML! When I turn it back on it says I have been riding for 5 minutes (and I am at first KOM so 20 miles of data???).  I get to the top, am riding the flat NOT cross chaining and drop my chain trying to get in big ring. And I cannot get it to go and stay once off the bike. Argh. Finally I get going.  The downhill is da bomb and I pass Helen again.  We start riding together when she catches me or eventually we do – all such a blur now.  Anyway, we pass the second feed zone and now I am starting to feel good – that is mile 47 the end is in site.  We decide to really work together to get to the climb – so I told her keep the pulls short – like  30 seconds.  We are working really well, next to the highway (23???) when BOOM explosion – it is my rear tubular. !!!!.  She says she is going to keep going I say of course. Ok, I have a can of pitstop with me – pull it out, read the graphic directions and go to use it – goes into the tire and is sputtering out big time, so I go to see why and sticking out is this giant piece of metal – I go to pull it out and have to really yank it out of the sidewall – it was 2 inches by half inch by about 1/8th inch thickness. Wtf??? Well the defect is huge.  A truck has pulled over to see what is up – turns out he is with Farm Team Elite – but no spare wheels.  He was like wow you did everything right – had the foam and everything.  I am so pissed off (not at him).  I cannot believe this. I am finally feeling good so ready to do this climb and I cannot!  He gives me a ride to the finish – down to where the car is.  Car is locked but the keys are no longer where I left them – now I start crying – on top of everything else someone stole my keys??? Phone is in the car – no help.  Then I think maybe scuds has them so I go in search of him (still in cycling shoes) no where to be found.  I go back to the car and crawl underneath thinking maybe they moved??? Scuds shows up in his polka dot jersey as I am near hysteria.  Sorry Scuds.  Once I am changed I explain what happened I find out he is a rockstar and we go to finish to find Sara and Lisa.  I am encouraged by many to talk to head ref who could relegate me so could still finish the ToC.  He told me I should have ridden my rim (carbon gee that sounds safe, and up Devil’s????)  - trying to figure out how that would feel on my elbow fracture…Then he tells me I should have waited an hour for the pro 1,2,3 support – which I did not even know was an option, not to mention that they spent a LOT of time telling us about the  20% time cutoff.  I am in tears as he tells me I made a financial decision by not riding my rim and then ask if I am allowed to do the citizen’s race so I can at least ride – that is not a problem.  Sara comes through – smiling looking great and a couple minutes later Lisa.  2 stages done.

Stage 3:  So, tubie is out, I get my clinchers – 2 gears less (only a 26 instead of a 28 boo) and I carry 3 spare tubes and 4 co2 cartridges as I am now beyond paranoid. I get my new number and am the only woman in the field.  The men are all fresh legged (except one guy – in his 60s who according to Sara climbs like a beast).  We head out, neutral start I am in front being motor paced – that was fun.  Then the race starts and the men do that macho thing  - see ya.  One guy, Nick rides up to me saying it was a training day for him so we can ride together – cool. He is afraid of downhills so I lose him but then he catches me and wow can he climb so we only ride together to the first KOM.  After that it was a long, hot as hades day that just kept going uphill. There was climbing AFTER THE KOMs!!!! Huh???? Are they kidding??  The few downhills were a blast but so outnumbered by climbs that just would not stop.  I was wondering where the clouds and rain and cooler temps were as it was just ridiculous. I passed a vineyard and seriously thought about stopping.  And the horse farms – riding a horse sounded so fun at this point!  At the aid station I was already through 2.5 of my bottles so I asked if there was neutral water and thank G-d yes a guy came out handed me a small Poland  bottle (open) and ran behind me and put another (closed) one in my jersey – totally awesome.  No way could I have finished without that.  I have already been passed by the women’s p1,2,3 field and the women’s 4s and as I get to second KOM the mens 4B field catches me.  I really needed those extra gears and had to walk the very steep section but got back on my bike (as did one of the guys – he said my doing it pressured him – lol).  I ran out of fluids with about 10 miles to go and was definitely feeling it.  One of the Tarmac racing guys who I had played cat and mouse with rode up next to me and asked how I was re nutrition – told him out of fluids for about 5 miles – he hands me his bottle I take a big swig – he then says hand me your bottle – and he pours it half full which totally save my hiney.  I realized I was bonking so I tried to get my stinger waffle open – it was like fort knox – I finally bit through and got some in and drank water and there was more climbing ugh.  Finally I turn and see the 4k to go sign and I perk up.  2k – oh yeah I pick up the pace 1k woo hoo – Scuds said as I climbed to the finish I was smiling – heck yeah it was done!!!!!!!!

Goals for next year (yes I will do this again): NOT be injured, lose about 15 pounds, get climbing clinchers.

2011-08-08 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
That's a tough race, Cat.  Nice job hanging in there to the end.
2011-08-08 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3634881

User image

Champion
New York, NY

thanks - yeah it was pretty brutal

but then again, even if all were ok it would be - 137 miles, 22% grades.....brutal race!!!! but awesome challenge!

2011-08-17 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Tuesday night series again

First and foremost, I think I am truly getting stronger.  I know I need more miles but I'm getting there.  Beautiful night.  Slight breeze out of the South and it was about 78 and got cooler as the night went on.  Couldn't have been better racing weather.

Race #1, very short 10 lap race.  I knew it was going to be an all out one being that short.  A good friend of mine, who got me into this mess to begin with, was finally able to make it.  Good to see him.  So we set up a nice pace line and just started to rotate.  I was keeping up with them and doing my duty, each doing a pull every lap to 1/2 lap.  With about 4 laps to go, I was peeling off of my pull when a guy dropped the hammer and I couldn't respond.  I kept them in sight for the remainder of the race but could never pull them back.  Finished up about 8th or 9th out of a pack of about 20.

Race #2, pursuit.  The B's lined up in front of the A's and were given a 60 second head start on a 15 lap race.  All the B's were talking that this is a team work race.  We need to stick together.  And the pace was absolutely brutal.  I could only hang for about 3-4 laps before the pace (24+) spat me out the back.  Check out my logs and you can see where I got dropped.  I then picked back up on the back of the pack after they lapped me with about 7-8 laps to go.  Figured I could at least try to provide some fresh legs and help them out.  Again, held on for about 2-3 laps till I couldn't hang anymore.  With about 4 laps to go, the A's caught them.  Jay (my friend) came up next to me with 2 to go and he was hurting.  Asked if I wanted to sprint for fun on the last lap.  Sure.  On the back stretch, he pulled off to let me pull but before the last turn, I pulled left, let him drop inside, and dove in behind him even tighter, hit the last turn and turned on the after burners.  Out pulled him by 3-4 bike lengths.  Felt good even if he wasn't in any kind of shape.  Good ego boost considering he has seen more miles in his life than I.

Race #3, with preme's.  15 laps and there were going to be some preme sprints.  I knew the group was going to take it a bit slower because they wanted to be in the hunt for the prizes.  I wanted one too (hats and t-shirts for an up coming MTB race).  So we take off.  On the 12th lap, they ring the bell and a guy drops the hammer to go solo for the lap.  Nobody really responds and lets him take it.  The group stays together and pulls him back in.  With 8 laps to go, they ring the bell again.  I'm sitting in first when this happens and am contemplating trying to do the same, but know that if I do, I may not have it.  So I keep pulling and another guy pulls up alongside.  I drop in behind him and let him pull.  Coming into the last turn, I cut inside, knowing I'm better on the corners.  With about 150m to go, I'm out of the saddle and giving it eveything I have.  And the guy in front of me is still in the saddle and I'm not gaining on him.  I dig a little deeper and start to gain a bit but I'm running out of room.  Out of the corner of my left eye, I see I get knicked at the line by two other riders (one was the one that won the first preme) so I finish 4th in the sprint.  And I'm ecstatic.  I didn't win, but I was in contention.  For the first time, I was in contention.  And then proceeded to completely blow up for the remainder of the race and then did a sprint at the end for good measure. 

There was one more race but I was done.  Absolutely wipped out.  Beth showed up and we took off.  I was flying high and still am.  I love this stuff.

PS. Last race hit 30mph on the preme sprint and 194 bpm.  Maybe one day I'll get a power meter to see what kind of wattage I'm putting out.

2011-09-19 8:12 AM

User image

Champion

Charm City Cross, Baltimore Maryland.

Mens 1/2/3/4 35+ race

First race of the year for me, closest UCI race to DC so it was packed both Saturday and Sunday.  Weather hasn't been great here lately, I think race temp was in the 50's-60's and overcast, it rained a few times on the drive up.  Course had been described to me before as a big-ring race that was hot and dry, so complete opposite this year, never did use the big ring.

I started off 113th out of 125 so the start was interesting,  clipped in fast and started trying to pick off people as quickly as I could before the first turn.  Had handlebars on both hips right up to the turn, the first 1/2 lap was spent in a huge crowd.  I was racing a bit risky running on the outside to pass people couple times almost went through the tape when I ran out of room. 

Course was very greasy, had to spend a lot of energy keeping the bike upright which would come back to haunt me in later laps.  Sand pit had 2 sections, the first was easy enough to ride through, and the 2nd even at noon had no good lines, I tried to ride it a few times and the sand was just too deep (maybe I needed to keep the 34's on...)  So I did the half ride it, half fall over jump off the bike and carry to the end.  Far side of the course had some deep mud sections that again required powering through to stay upright.   2 sets of barriers and a set of staris also out there, so quite a few obstacles.  I thought I rode them all pretty tight, good carrying up the stairs and quick dismounts/mounts.

About 3 laps in my back started to get sore.  I had back problems a few months ago and have done some tough road rides since that didn't bother it but the combination of the hard efforts and using the body to keep the bike upright I think is what did me in.  Started to get a bit sloppy then as well.  Dropped the bike 2 x on the 3rd lap, once on an off camber section the wheels just came out from underneath me.  Fango's were completely encased in mud, should have probably used my mud clinchers. 

Ended up getting lapped by 2 guys so thankfully I didn't have to do the last lap.  Guessing I finished somewhere mid pack which I am pretty happy with considering I started so far back and then wasn't able to keep up the pace for the last lap and a half due to my back tightening up.  Very happy to be riding a nice new Crux vs. my old Nashbar frame from last year.  Hoping for a bit drier race next week.

Had a nice belgian beer while watching the kids do the Little Belgians race. 

EDIT: Forgot to add, my bike is completely taken apart right now, there was mud/sand in everything, even had mud up in my brake levers from a crash.  LOL debating taking the RD apart as there is so much muck in there.

2011-09-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3691762

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
dalessit - 2011-09-19 8:12 AM

Charm City Cross, Baltimore Maryland.

Mens 1/2/3/4 35+ race

First race of the year for me, closest UCI race to DC so it was packed both Saturday and Sunday.  Weather hasn't been great here lately, I think race temp was in the 50's-60's and overcast, it rained a few times on the drive up.  Course had been described to me before as a big-ring race that was hot and dry, so complete opposite this year, never did use the big ring.

I started off 113th out of 125 so the start was interesting,  clipped in fast and started trying to pick off people as quickly as I could before the first turn.  Had handlebars on both hips right up to the turn, the first 1/2 lap was spent in a huge crowd.  I was racing a bit risky running on the outside to pass people couple times almost went through the tape when I ran out of room. 

Course was very greasy, had to spend a lot of energy keeping the bike upright which would come back to haunt me in later laps.  Sand pit had 2 sections, the first was easy enough to ride through, and the 2nd even at noon had no good lines, I tried to ride it a few times and the sand was just too deep (maybe I needed to keep the 34's on...)  So I did the half ride it, half fall over jump off the bike and carry to the end.  Far side of the course had some deep mud sections that again required powering through to stay upright.   2 sets of barriers and a set of staris also out there, so quite a few obstacles.  I thought I rode them all pretty tight, good carrying up the stairs and quick dismounts/mounts.

About 3 laps in my back started to get sore.  I had back problems a few months ago and have done some tough road rides since that didn't bother it but the combination of the hard efforts and using the body to keep the bike upright I think is what did me in.  Started to get a bit sloppy then as well.  Dropped the bike 2 x on the 3rd lap, once on an off camber section the wheels just came out from underneath me.  Fango's were completely encased in mud, should have probably used my mud clinchers. 

Ended up getting lapped by 2 guys so thankfully I didn't have to do the last lap.  Guessing I finished somewhere mid pack which I am pretty happy with considering I started so far back and then wasn't able to keep up the pace for the last lap and a half due to my back tightening up.  Very happy to be riding a nice new Crux vs. my old Nashbar frame from last year.  Hoping for a bit drier race next week.

Had a nice belgian beer while watching the kids do the Little Belgians race. 

EDIT: Forgot to add, my bike is completely taken apart right now, there was mud/sand in everything, even had mud up in my brake levers from a crash.  LOL debating taking the RD apart as there is so much muck in there.

Nice job Tony!
2011-09-19 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3691762

User image

Champion
New York, NY

good job.

cross is fun.

2011-09-23 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
I'm half tempted to buy this photo for our team.  It is not me, but three guys I ride with.  This was done by a pro photographer at the sprint at the end.   Check out the black and white photo with the three sprinters in color. That's my club.  South Chicago Wheelmen! 

http://www.jmzphoto.com/Sports/bicycle-racing/Superweek-2011-7-of-9/18103887_zMDHQh#1414432644_qWfDSpn

Edited by crowny2 2011-09-23 2:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2011 Cycling race report thread. Rss Feed  

of 4