General Discussion Race Reports! » Barkin' Dog Duathlon - Standard Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Barkin' Dog Duathlon - Standard Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
60'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 4s
Overall Rank = 8/310
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/32
Pre-race routine:

Up early for the drive up from the Springs. Got there super fast. Got my packet and threw down a Red Bull.
Event warmup:

Got on the bike and flicked through the gears. Tapped the brakes a few times just to make sure all was in order. Went out for a short little jog, but that was all the warmup I needed.
Run
  • 18m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't go out too hard, but kept the leaders at a distance I felt I could bridge on the bike. Schubert was leading the race and absolutely flying. He had a gap on a group of a few runners and then I was about 10-15 seconds back of them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Not much to say... got in and got out without any problems.

Nothing
Bike
  • 48m 17s
  • 19.64 miles
  • 24.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and my HR was hovering in the low 170's. Passed some people and got into a rhythm, and let it come down some. Nearing the end of the first lap, both of my calves cramped something fierce. No idea why, but if felt like knives being stuck in them. I was seated the entire race so I got outta the saddle for a second and tried to pump through 'em. Didn't work. Reached down with my hand and shook the piss out of them. Here's where things went awry. Just as I did that I hit some major potholes and the lid to my aero helmet flew off (Spiuk). I just let it go. I thought if it gets crushed I got the same one at home in a different color. Just kept my fingers crossed that a ref would'nt see me and DQ. But seriously it was a mechanical failure. At this point I was getting angry and pushed the pace harder. My second lap was faster and my HR was about 5 beats higher than the first. Talking to Kevin Weed after the race, he claimed I put a massive surge in, but I felt like I just lifted the pace a little. I was also trying to shake another rider who'd been behind me for a little too long.

Not cramp and race the whole race with an intact helmet.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Same as the first.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This next statement will describe every run leg of every duathlon I've ever completed. JUST HANG ON!!! Charged outta T2 and I thought I saw Uli Bromme . Running down the trail and came up behind her (turns out it wasn't her, but another female elite). Went around and put in a decent effort just in case there was any guys from my wave behind. Kept checking my six to see if I could get a glimpse, but there was no one back there. Focused on a fast powerful cadence and kept it there until the hills leading back into the parking area. Wanted to ease up so bad, but I knew if I did someone would be on me quick. Turns out I had over a minute gap to 3rd place. Makes me happy that I was able to dig though.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Went out and jogged for about 10 minutes while drinking an Ultragen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running hard off the bike. But that always gets me in the pre-season.

Event comments:

Racing Underground always puts on a good race. I didn't do this last year, so I was happy be out there again in excellent Colorado weather.

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:53 | 03.11 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/310
Performance: Good
Course: Both running legs will follow a similar route. The course is flat and fast over paved park roadways, and paved multi-use paths.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:48:17 | 19.64 miles | 24.41 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The bike course is a fun gently rolling out and back course over paved park roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:48 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Almost the same as the first.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 3:11 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Barkin' Dog Duathlon - Standard Course

2011-05-08 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3487966

User image

Subject: RE: Barkin' Dog Duathlon - Standard Course
dude, you are "elite"!  Great race, way to hang tough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barkin' Dog Duathlon - Standard Course Rss Feed