General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 4s
Overall Rank = 6/366
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/35
Pre-race routine:

Race start was pushed back an hour to allow for the temps to warm-up a bit. Got there around 7:15, and happened to park right next to Chad and Andrew - got registration and began to set up.
Event warmup:

Went for a 10 minute run with Colin, Chad, and Andrew, suited up and listened to announcements before heading to swim start.
Swim
  • 08m 49s
  • 580 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was around 60 degrees and initially I felt a little tightness in my chest, but overcame that after a few minutes, settling into a good pace. Sighting was pretty easy with a point to point swim - four buoys then a left turn in towards the beach.

I've been averaging around 40,000 yards for the past four months, so the endurance is there. I came out of the water pretty fresh, so I may not have gone as hard as I should have.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little harder - I know in hindsight I left a little time out in the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I knocked my sunglasses off twice while putting my helmet on, loosing a few seconds - other than that, a pretty decent transition.

Just a little smoother, and probably practice a bit more
Bike
  • 27m 1s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to be a bit faster on the bike to eat some time from the faster runners. My bike time was second overall, but I would have loved to be one minute faster. The course was hillier than expected, with some speeds in the 12 mph range. Downhill top speed was 44 mph. A little over 500 feet of climbing.

I didn't ride with power, but I'd guess I would have been around 320 watts for the ride.

Ride more hills in prep for the race. Maybe I would not use my disk cover, as that little extra weight hurts a bit on the hills. The Hed Jet 9 would have been ok on its own as the rear wheel.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

There's a good downhill back into transition, and I forgot to take my feet out of my shoes before the downhill. As a result, I only got one foot out, and had to pop out my left shoe and then remove it before running into transition. Not the best, but it worked.

Think ahead about getting my feet out of my shoes before the dismount.
Run
  • 19m 5s
  • 3.05 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to be in the 18:45-19:00 range. Looking back at my HR numbers, I should have gone harder. My Avg HR should have been in the mid 170's.

I guess the run was overall pretty good as I didn't get passed, but that was a result of passing lots of people on the bike.

Pushed a little harder. I should have been around 18:30 if I went a bit harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my teammates to come in. Colin was having a great day, but flatted around mile 7 - he would have finished ahead of me, but still finished 25th. Andrew was behind me, followed by Chad and Rob, rounding out the Northeast Multisport group. Got some grub and hung out waiting for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push myself hard enough on the swim or run. That could have netted me another 1:30 - 2:00 off my time. It would have been nice to have power numbers for the bike - my new powertap Hed 9 will be here for my next race.

Event comments:

Good organization and post race festivities. The weather was much better than last year, and it was fun to hang out with my teammates.

I was actually credited with winning my AG because the guy that won my AG finished 2nd overall, allowing me to get a $20 gift card to a local running store and a pint glass.

Last updated: 2010-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:49 | 580 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 54/366
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Billed as a 1/4 mile swim, but using Google Earth and Map My Run, it's more like 1/3. So, I changed that for the distance. The swim was a point to point swim, which was nice for sighting ease. Water was flat, but quite chilly.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:01 | 10 miles | 22.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 2/366
Avg HR: 164 Max HR: 177
Wind: Little
Course: Hillier than expected. Directly out of transition there's a a hill that's 80 feet of climbing. The rest of the course is quite hilly, with some good climbs at miles 2, 7 and one coming back into the park and to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:05 | 03.05 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/35
Overall: 18/366
Avg HR: 167 Max HR: 173
Course: Again, quite hilly. Same hill out of transition. Route goes around the park, coming back into the finish/transition area along the water. Course was slightly less than a 5k - I got 3.05 miles on my Garmin.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

2011-05-08 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3488015

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon
Great way to start the year! Heck of a race, and hope its a sign of things to come for you this year!
2011-05-08 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
nice, well done!
2011-05-08 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
6th place! SOLID race, conrgrats!!
2011-05-09 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Great job Nate, ironing out the issues is what these early season races are for, you are in for a stellar season, i hope i get to meet you at Patriot.

congrats!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed