Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 49m 37s
Overall Rank = 26/127 F
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/26
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race was crazy. I noticed that it was foggy on my way to the race site, but it was only 4:00am, so I thought it might clear before start time. The fog cleared for the most part, but not over the lake. It was so thick that you couldn't see more than about 10 yards out.

I got to the race site, picked up my race packet, got body marked, got my chip and then set up my transition. I was completely finished by the time James showed up (he had the rack right next to mine - not sure how that happened). :) He thought the race start was 8:00! The ironic thing was that he ended up being right.

Once he had his transition set up, we put on our wetsuits and headed down to the lake. James' wave was supposed to start at 7:15 and I was supposed to start at 7:30. Just before 7:00 (right after I took my gel and drank the last of my water), they delayed the race to see if the fog would lift. We waited around at the lake for a little while. But since the race wasn't going to start until 8:00 now, we went back to the transition area to get another gel and use the bathroom. While we were still in transition, we heard that the swim was cancelled. So, after I had just put my wetsuit back on after going to the bathroom, I had to take it off again.

They changed the race to just a bike/run. But we were still going to do T1 starting with the run from the lake. Once we got down to the lake, they announced that we could wear our helmets, shoes, etc. So, we all went back to transition and got dressed for the bike. For me, that was just putting on my helmet and sunglasses. A lot of people put on their sneakers for the run from the lake. But I went barefoot (I leave my bike shoes on the bike and I saw no sense in the sneakers). When we went back to the lake once again, the fog had lifted! So, they spent the next 10 minutes trying to decide if we would swim afterall. They finally decided to leave the swim out. So, the race finally started!
Event warmup:

I never got close enough to my wave start to get into the water to swim. So, my only warmup ended up being the walking back and forth from the transition area and the lake. :)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim cancelled. I was disappointed that the swim was cancelled. It is my worst sport of the 3, but I was interested to see how I would do today. I was hoping for some improvement in my swim today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

We went off in our normal waves (I was in wave 7). They sent us through the chute 10 at a time. Once they told me to go, I took off. Running is what I do well and I saw no reason to waste any seconds here. I ran straight for my bike, grabbed it and ran. There was nothing else to do, since my shoes were already on the bike (and I had my helmet on).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I had high hopes for a PR on today's ride. I did a lot of bike focused work over the winter. I did a 2:50 at Beach 2 Battleship back in November and I was hoping to take a few minutes off of that. The first 40 miles went well. I was averaging close to 20mph up until I turned onto Hwy 53. Two things happened at this point. The roads got rough again and we headed into a headwind. The wind wasn't too bad, so I was dealing with it fine. But the rough roads were an issue. They slowed me down a lot. I am not used to riding on roads this rough and the jostling started to make me ache. The last 16 miles of my ride were just torture. The only thing that made it bearable was that I was passing a lot of people! For a while I began to wonder if it was really the rough roads causing me to feel so bad. I went from having a really good ride to a crappy ride so quick, I wondered if maybe it wasn't a nutrition issue or maybe I had pushed too hard on the first 40 miles. But as soon as I hit the smooth pavement around the lake, my speed jumped right back up.

This ride was 10 minutes slower than I had hoped for. I was very disappointed that I wasn't able to keep pace on the rough roads. I did this race 2 years ago and knew the roads would be rough. But I don't remember them being this bad.

The best part about the ride was the aid stations! :) My tri club team mates were manning the stations. As I was approaching the first aid station, I saw our banner on Pete's truck. It was a nice pick-me-up to hear their cheers. I thought they were only at one aid station, so I wasn't expecting to have Rob hand me a water at the second aid station. And then to have Shelley cheer for me at the 3rd. It was great to see all the Tri-Warriors out there!! :)

There was a lot of drafting going on today. I got passed a couple of times by whole groups of people. I wasn't upset by it. It didn't affect my race. I made sure I did the right thing, that is all I have any control over. Besides, I saw the race marshalls several times, so assumed they would handle it. Apparently they did a good job because I saw a lot of penalties in the results.

I am not sure. Maybe less air in my tires would have made the ride less jarring and I could have kept a better pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

This transition went smoothly.
Run
  • 1h 49m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went alright. I could tell from the start that it was going to be a tough run. My hamstrings and hips were feeling a bit tight. They loosened up a bit after a couple of miles and I got into a rhythm. I was hoping to run well enough to catch up with James. So, I started focusing on that. Around 5.75 miles I saw James (he had already turned around and was passing by). So, I was about 1.5 miles behind him. I thought I had a great chance of not only catching him, but passing him before the finish. That thought lasted about another mile. Then my legs hips started to really ache and my right knee started to hurt. I kept running but my pace started to slow. It was all I could do to keep running. I wanted to stop so bad, but I kept telling myself that I would finish faster if I just kept running. So, I just kept willing myself along (it felt like my legs were going to lock up on me any second). At the last water stop (just a bit over a mile from the finish), I caught up to James! I told him to come on, we were almost done. He told me to go on, he was right behind me. I ran on and never looked back. I thought he would finish right behind me. But when I turned around at the finish line, he wasn't there. He finally arrived a few minutes later (he struggled to finish because his calf cramped).

I ran the entire time except for the aid stations. I walked every aid station. Not that I had a choice. The kids that were running the aid stations were not doing a very good job. They weren't handing out the drinks. They just filled up the cups and we had to stop and find what we wanted. Since I had to stop to find my own drink, I took a couple extra seconds to make sure I drank it all too (while walking). So, this run probably could have been a couple minutes faster if I didn't have to stop to find my own drink every mile.

Nothing. This was a good mental effort for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I soaked my legs in the lake for a few minutes and then got something to eat.

Last updated: 2011-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/127 F
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:27 | 56 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/26
Overall: 48/127 F
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Around White Lake, down 210 and back up 53.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:49:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 14/127 F
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back around the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: White Lake Half I

2011-05-09 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3488076

User image

New user
Salisbury
Subject: RE: White Lake Half I
Strong run in those conditions hat's off to you. My bike was 7 minutes slower at White lake compared to B2B and I thought I was in better shape and rode harder...I ran 8 minutes faster at whitelake so I am pretty sure it was course and wind related, also hats off to your Tri-Club.... Maria and Pete have been nice to me everytime I see them
2011-05-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3488076

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: White Lake Half I

way to stay strong! 

How good did that water feel on your legs post race?!! Glorious for me...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half I Rss Feed