Triathlon Western Australia
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 80/248
Age Group = Teams Mixed
Age Group Rank = 35/102
Pre-race routine:

My mum had Jacob for the weekend. Anton, Sefton & me drove down together Friday afternoon. We'd hired a nice little house in Abbey Beach. Registered and set up my bike the night before. Sat through the race briefing in the evening and finally got to meet some people off this website - Sean & Jeff.

I didn't sleep too well the night before due to nerves. The teams swim didn't start until 8.25am (everyone else 7-8am) but I still got up early to check my bike in transition. I needed to fiddle with it a bit because I'd needed to take off my saddle bag to make the race number fit on the seat post, then I didn't know how to carry my spare tube and tyre elevators because I didn't have a cycle jersey with pockets, in the end carried them in an empty water container.

Went home to have breakfast with the boys and remembered I'd forgotten to check my tyres that morning, had checked & pumped them the night before and they'd been fine, but because I was so stressed about the ride I imagined they'd surely somehow gone flat overnight. Ha ha ha - any excuse to turn into a mega stressball LOL (they were fine BTW).

Anyway breakfast was toast with peanut butter and jam and a coffee. Sipped on Gatorade. Went to the toilet a gazillion times.
Event warmup:

None whatsoever. Got down there, saw off Sef on his swim and then I went off to wait in the teams transition area with Anton.
Swim
  • 33m 13s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

In 2009 Sef swam 31 mins, this time around he'd done lots of training (squad 3 X week) and he's a pretty good swimmer so was confident of going under 30 mins. He was dissapointed with his time but said that the conditions were much harder than 2 years ago - apparently lots of chop and waves. In 2009 it had been like glass. He also said that he found it hard to get any space in the crowded water to swim properly and also found it difficult to sight because the sun was in his eyes a lot of the way. His wetsuit is also uncomfortable and gave him a lot of chaffing (don't tell anyone but his suit is a size 18 women's suit bought on special at Total Triathlon - we got it 2 years ago for Busso 2009 and at the time it was the only one we could find to fit his big frame!). So everything compounded to result in 2 mins slower than last time. I still think he's a bloody good swimmer :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Pretty quick. I was waiting all kitted out. Sef ran up to me, I removed his timing band, put it on and off I went!
Bike
  • 3h 03m 30s
  • 90 kms
  • 29.43 km/hr
Comments:

I had done no where near the amount of training I thought I should have done. The last time I rode 90k was the same race 2 years ago! My training rides had all been around 60k, with one 72k and one 78k thrown in during April. And I wasn't fast - all my training rides averaged 25k/hr. So in summary, I was sh*tting myself, I was sure it would take me 3:15 or 3:30. In retrospect it was a bit silly entering this race given that I have a young child at home and a part time job on weekends, I found it really hard to fit in the training.

However, somehow, I had a bloody brilliant race! I was only 2 mins slower than 2009 when I was super fit. How it happened, I don't know, but somehow this little speed demon came out and I absolutely hammered it out for the whole 90k. Maybe it was because I knew that I didn't have to run 21k afterwards, I just gave it my all and absolutely could not have done any better than I did. The last 15-20k were super tough, my legs were screaming, but I just kept pushing because I didn't want any regrets. I averaged 87% MHR for 3 hours, where that endurance came from I don't know. Maybe I am fitter than I give myself credit for - I am my own worst critic :)

It was tricky out there because there's this new 12m drafting rule, you have to be 12m+ behind the rider in front and once you enter the draft zone you have to commit to overtaking the next rider, and you have 25 sec to do it. Jeezuz. Anyway at some points on the ride it got very crowded and I just had to really push to get in front and lose the pack. At one point a technical official was riding next to me looking at me, I was probably closer than 12m but I just smiled at her ... and she moved on. Whew :)

The scenery was beautiful, a lovely ride through the forrest, with all the rain recently there's lots of new green grass coming through. It was very nice.

Did I mention the wind was brutal. It was 2 X 45k laps and on the way out the wind was in your face the whole time. It got worse on the second lap. But then I got to turn around and ride with an awesome tail wind. Still it was tough pushing into the headwind for 45 mins at a time.

Overall ... brilliant :)
What would you do differently?:

Somehow find the time to train more? Life just gets in the way. To be good at this sport you need to make a lot of sacrifices and now that I have a family there are something that I am not prepared to sacrifice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Rode in to T2 and ran to the bike rack, completely and utterly grateful that I didn't have to run! My legs were like jelly and I was dizzy. Anton took off the timing band and off he went. I collapsed onto the grass for about 15 mins to catch my breath, then had a delicious chocolate muffin and some Gatorade, then went off to cheer on our wild running man!
Run
  • 1h 42m 13s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

A bit about our runner Anton. He was a groomsman at our wedding 6 1/2 years ago (when he had short well groomed hair LOL). He's been really good friends with Sefton since primary school. At first they hated eachother, then had a fist fight to resolve their differences and then became good mates. Sefton assures me this is normal for blokes LOL. Anyway these days Anton spends most of his time in a compound on a mine site in south Eqypt. There isn't much to do there so he runs a lot. He was in Eqypt when the big revolution went down, and for a while there we were worried he wouldn't be able to get out of the country in time for the race! Luckily it was all OK.

Anton had a bloody brilliant run. He said he was great for the first 2 laps but on the return leg of the last lap got a bad stitch. HOwever he still managed to run sub 5 min km's. Woot woot. A brilliant run to finish off a brilliant race :)
Post race
Warm down:

Beer and food. What else? ;-)

Event comments:

What a brilliant race. How good was our team time?

The event was perfectly organised. Lots of volunteers. Heaps of pre and post race activities. I had a ball. I don't know when I'll be back - chances are I'll be pregnant with our second this time next year. I think it'll be a long time before I can do the full race again, but doing it in a team is manageable and still allows us to participate in this great event. Bring it :)

Last updated: 2011-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:13 | 1900 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/102
Overall: 69/248
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:30 | 90 kms | 29.43 km/hr
Age Group: 59/102
Overall: 136/248
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:13 | 21.1 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 0/102
Overall: 0/248
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Busselton Half Ironman

2011-05-09 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3488494

User image

Perth, WA
Subject: RE: Busselton Half Ironman

Go Team Tiger!

The swim was hard even for the good swimmers not to mention the bike leg! Don't be too hard on yourself, that wind was terrible! Great run by your 3rd team member.

Good to see you guys still out there having a go!

2011-05-09 2:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

What an amazing race report -- I love it when you get a nice race surprise!! It feels sooooo good! 

Congrats, you're a huge inspiration!! :D

2011-05-09 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Great job Magda!!!  great split on the bike!!!
2011-05-09 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Woohoo!!! Awesome race, and congrats on the unexpected bike time! How awesome! Great and vivid race report! I look forward to the next race!
2011-05-09 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Great ride Magda and what an awesome race report. You sure know how to write about the event. Those conditions sure were tough. Team Tiger did a great job, you should all be proud of yourselves.

2011-05-09 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth

Well done Tigers. amazing effort Magda, imagine what you could have done if you prepared more ?? 

Solid team effort and congratulate Sef and Anton

2011-05-15 1:08 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
wonderful race report Magda, really made me smile.  We done on surprising yourself again, you really know how to dig deep when it matters.  What an awesome race and sounds like you had a glorious time down South.  You're an inspiration how well you combine working, family and training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton Half Ironman Rss Feed