United States
Lincoln National Guard Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 19m 29s
Overall Rank = 787/1191
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 75/96
Pre-race routine:

Packet pick-up the day before. Took it easy the rest of the day, got to bed a little later than I wanted. Didn't sleep well at all. Up at 4:15 to eat and get ready. Rode up with Justin.
Event warmup:

Stretched with some people from Beatrice. Ran to the bathroom quick like.
Run
  • 4h 19m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off nice and slow to get warmed up. Didn't go out too hard, tried to save some for the long day ahead. Ran with, or close to, Justin. Saw Mom and Dad about 4 miles in. Tossed them my long sleeve shirt. Saw the girls a little later. Started off taking water and gatorade at every aid station. Took a HammerGel every 4-6 miles. Got seperated from Justin for awhile once we were on the bike trail. Made it off the trail and up the hill no problem. Was still trying to hold a fairly comfortable pace.

At the halfway point saw Kim and Deena again. Continued taking gatorady and water at all the aid stations. Justin caught back up to me around mile 15 or 16. Shortly after we took a walk break, we were both hurting a little and walked an aid station to get a good drink. Continued running with Justin the rest of the way. We did a run/walk the rest of the way in. After about mile 17 my legs felt heavy and tired. Gels and gatorade seemed to give me a short lived boost of energy. I think the best thing I had on the course was a big handful of jelly beans at a make shift aid station. Running got a little easier once the stadium was in sight. Took one last walk break then hammered it out to the finish. Got to cross the line with Justin which was cool.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I didn't have the long run training in that I should have.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food/water line. Got some cookies, chips, and a gatorade. Got a post race massage which was awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

The race didn't turn out quite the way I hoped. I was hoping to finish in under 4 hours and feel better throughout the late stages of the race. Looking back I got what I trained for. That being said it was still a good race, I can now say I finished a marathon. Also the crowd support and support from the cheering section, (Kim, Deena, Mom, Dad, Jeff,and Kaley) was pretty awesome. It was great to run and finish the race with a good friend. I think running together helped Justin and I a ton. Learned a lot and got a good gage of my fitness.

Last updated: 2010-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
04:19:29 | 26.2 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/96
Overall: 787/1191
Performance: Below average
Course: City streets in Lincoln
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-09 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Lincoln National Guard Marathon

2011-05-09 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3490533

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Marathon
Nice job finishing your marathon.  Ready to run another yet? 
2011-05-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3490533

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Marathon
Good jorb! Now train your butt off so that you don't write your IMKY race report with phrases like "train more," "didn't train enough", etc. =)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Marathon Rss Feed