General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Dad, Robert J. Quist, 05/22/42 to 04/29/11 died and I was doing the race as a tribute to his life Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-09 11:15 PM

User image

New user

Milwaukee WI
Subject: My Dad, Robert J. Quist, 05/22/42 to 04/29/11 died and I was doing the race as a tribute to his life
I have some very sad news. My Dad and I were not talking for several years due to some problems in our family. He lived in San Antonio. When I signed up for IMTX, I thought, its a Cardinal Sin not to invite your Dad, when he lives so close and loves to watch sports so much, as he was 10 times the athlete I ever will be, playing football for the University of Michigan. So on the application, where it says, why you are doing this IM, I put down, as a tribute to my father's life, as I think that they would announce that off at the finish line. I did not call him yet, did not even know if he would take my call, when my daughter 10 years old started asking repeatedly that she wanted to meet her Grandfather in person. So one of us called the other. It was chilly at first. I invited him to the IM and he agreed to go. I had my daughter talk to him on the phone a few times. Then a very serious legal issue (false) came up at work, that could have been career ending. When my Dad heard about that he was very upset and called me every day, and was a huge source of support of 2.5 months until it was all dropped, because as much as they tried to nail me the more they tried the more they keep finding out that I did not do it. I finally got the pleasure to call my Dad and tell him the nightmare was over, that did severely interfere with my training this time. He was very happy. He then suddenly died about 6 days later, unexpectedly. I am so unbelievable sad for my daughter, because I know how much she wanted to meet him. It was a totally unexpected heart attack, so in a way it was better that it happened then as I am certain that if not then it would have happened at the IMTX for sure, as it is very physically demanding to be out there all day as a spectator especially in the heat. I would have felt terrible if that had happened and my daughter would have freaked out too. When I sign up for an Ironman it is like the kiss of death, literally. 12 months ago, I did my first ever IM at St. George, big mistake and DNFed, time cut off, then I got into IMFL, I paid for my soon to be ex-wife and kids to come and watch, video the finish, and they never showed at the finish line, which obviously hurt my feelings. Now this. I really should not be doing this because of the problems with my training, but I think if there is little to no wind I can finish. If I am sitting in WI and I see it is 78 degrees, no wind and sunny, I will be irate that I did not gone. So I think that based upon what happened with my Dad I have to it. I would much rather crash and burn, and die trying, then to have never tried at all. I know that just trying my hardest will make my Dad happy. FYI because of the funeral plans I will be in town much earlier on Monday and do some training there.

Sincerely,

Matthew Quist

Robert John Quist
05/22/42 to 04/29/11
Rest in Peace

(small dad size pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
small dad size pic.jpg (66KB - 19 downloads)

2011-05-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3490766

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: My Dad, Robert J. Quist, 05/22/42 to 04/29/11 died and I was doing the race as a tribute to his
I cant tell you much about doing IMTX but I think it is so great that you got back intouch with him before he passed. Sorry for your lose and best of luck in the race.
2011-05-10 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
Subject: RE: My Dad, Robert J. Quist, 05/22/42 to 04/29/11 died and I was doing the race as a tribute to his
This is the reason I race, is for my father, he too passed away from a heart attack and I vowed to be healthy for life. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I know it's hard but keep your head up, use that motivation towards your training / racing and you'll feel amazing when you see the results. I know for me each training session and race I complete I always think about my dad and how proud he would be of me for doing this. Good luck.
2011-05-12 7:31 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, too. But glad you reconnected with him before his death. And I am incredible sorry for your 10 year old daughter. I know that must really hurt!

Best wishes on your race!
2011-05-12 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Matthew, what is your bib number? I will be at an aid station on the run and want to make sure I see you go by... finish for your dad, brother!
2011-05-16 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I am glad you reconnected in a positive way before his death tho.  Run with your dad in your heart. If you try your very best with what you have on race day he will be smiling down on you.

2011-05-18 12:19 PM

User image

Expert

I am so sorry for your loss.

I ran my first marathon as a tribute to my father. It was a great source of strength to me during the race and allowed me to finish.  I expect it will be a huge motivation for you Saturday.

2011-05-18 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Wow. Your story sounds like mine. My father walked out on us when I was 5, and has never really bothered to try to keep up any sort of relationship with any of the three of us kids. I have given up trying, but when I read your story, maybe I should give it one more shot.

I'll be out there as a "bike catcher". Please post your race # so we can give you an extra shout out!
2011-05-18 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Sorry to hear about your loss. As others have said, I too lost my father, he had Brain Cancer. My brother and I found a race in Lafayette LA that supported Brain Cancer and we did this race, our first Triathlon together in our dad's memory. Everyday I go out for a workout I think "this one's for you dad" it's given me great strength in moments of weakness and self doubt. 

Remember the IM saying "Anything is possible"

Rock out IMTX! I'll be thinking about you.

Take care.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Dad, Robert J. Quist, 05/22/42 to 04/29/11 died and I was doing the race as a tribute to his life Rss Feed